Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New SYNC Update 23188

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Did you try it with these 3 files?
SyncMyRide
autoinstall
Dontindx.msa
Or the 6 you posted?
I tried 3 different USB sticks using the 3 files you mentioned above. SyncMyRide has 6 files in the directory too. Bottom line, it's a bad AIPM according to Ford.
Yours is failing right? For me, it does not even start. My truck does not even recognize the usb stick it seems.
Yours is failing right? For me, it does not even start. My truck does not even recognize the usb stick it seems.
Mine fails immediately with the attached error message. I tried 3 different USB sticks using the 3 files you mentioned above and the 6 files in the SyncMyRide in the directory. Bottom line, it's a bad APIM according to Ford.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Update on my sync update…. Tried multiple USB sticks and downloads to no avail. Talked to the technology people last week and they told me to see a dealer. Took it to a local dealer this morning and they found the APIM is bad. I just ticked 33k miles so they are covering it under warranty thank god. Part on order should have it in next week.

hbalek

Reactions
Update on my sync update…. Tried multiple USB sticks and downloads to no avail. Talked to the technology people last week and they told me to see a dealer. Took it to a local dealer this morning and they found the APIM is bad. I just ticked 33k miles so they are covering it under warranty thank god. Part on order should have it in next week.
Most people weren't so lucky and paid out of pocket. This should be a class action lawsuit. The software update caused the APIM to go bad and not reset and purgfe the memory.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I

Mine fails immediately with the attached error message. I tried 3 different USB sticks using the 3 files you mentioned above and the 6 files in the SyncMyRide in the directory. Bottom line, it's a bad APIM according to Ford.
Update: Ford dealer replaced my APIM and I now have the new Sync version. Mine is under warranty and surprisingly, the dealer picked up my ST, fixed it, and dropped it off within 6 hours.

Seachief

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Stone Blue Explorer ST
Update: Ford dealer replaced my APIM and I now have the new Sync version. Mine is under warranty and surprisingly, the dealer picked up my ST, fixed it, and dropped it off within 6 hours.
I'm seeing issues on my screen here now too...APIM module may be??
  • When using NAV only bottom 2/3 of map displays, get nav directions but can not display map data (Android Auto not plugged in)

• Press microphone button wheel and say, "Weather Map" and it displays map with "Received XX:XX" where XX:XX is some few minutes before, BUT only displays bottom 1/33 of map

• Plug in my Samsung S23 Ultra I used for 20K miles and nothing happens...sometimes displays "Allow Access" permission request on phone and choose allow. But Android Auto never starts with that phone even though it's listed under Connectivity > Android Auto and is set to 'On'

• Plus in Samsung Z-Fold5 and Android Auto usually starts and works OK, but I want to use the S23 Ultra for that in its cup holder
    • If I go look at Connectivity > Android Auto and I "Remove or Delete " the Z-Fold 5 and three other phones that show up and set it up so ONLY the S23 Ultra is listed, still only works sometimes
      • When I go back in and look all the phones I deleted have returned and are set to ON for Android Auto
      • Reboots make no difference
  • Started ST today, driving with no phone plugged in for Android Auto and still only partial maps display, then suddenly entire screen went MEDIUM BLUE top half of screen and GREY bottom half of screen- then would switch after 5 minutes to Dark Grey or Black over light grey, then would switch back to
    • Got pics of this and the half map displays
    • Stopped in at the Dealer today ahead of appt. tomorrow and showed Service Writer who took pics
    • Other Service Writers told me they are seeing a lot of failed APIM Modules
  • If I am listening to XM Sirius Radio and have say the Grateful Dead Channel playing at normal level, when I shut down and start the car later the radio switched to AM and provides very loud static or distant AM station

• Finally as I drive away I start getting pop up screens to Accept Terms or Allow Audio Listening Data to go to Ford....I say OK, and it asks me again in a few minutes... very distracting for a driver
I am hoping they can resolve this tomorrow or at least order a new APIM. I went through this at 50K with my 2020 Explorer ST and eventually Ford had to buy it back under Lemon Law and I got my 2022. They were really fair but my 2020 was fully 5 year Cerami Coated and the whole fronte end and tailgate were PPF wrapped to protect from dings that make the aluminum oxidize. I had to go redo that again foir almost $3,000 which was a drag, but UI got a new 2022 and they moved my 100,000 mile/ 6 Year Ford ESP over to it and reset it so I was OK. I do not want to have to go Lemon Law again, was pain the butt doing all the paperwork.

Wish me luck- doing synthetic oil change and swapping my winter wheels and Blizzaks on here in Vermont too.

Attachments

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #166
I'm seeing issues on my screen here now too...APIM module may be??
  • When using NAV only bottom 2/3 of map displays, get nav directions but can not display map data (Android Auto not plugged in)

• Press microphone button wheel and say, "Weather Map" and it displays map with "Received XX:XX" where XX:XX is some few minutes before, BUT only displays bottom 1/33 of map

• Plug in my Samsung S23 Ultra I used for 20K miles and nothing happens...sometimes displays "Allow Access" permission request on phone and choose allow. But Android Auto never starts with that phone even though it's listed under Connectivity > Android Auto and is set to 'On'

• Plus in Samsung Z-Fold5 and Android Auto usually starts and works OK, but I want to use the S23 Ultra for that in its cup holder
    • If I go look at Connectivity > Android Auto and I "Remove or Delete " the Z-Fold 5 and three other phones that show up and set it up so ONLY the S23 Ultra is listed, still only works sometimes
      • When I go back in and look all the phones I deleted have returned and are set to ON for Android Auto
      • Reboots make no difference
  • Started ST today, driving with no phone plugged in for Android Auto and still only partial maps display, then suddenly entire screen went MEDIUM BLUE top half of screen and GREY bottom half of screen- then would switch after 5 minutes to Dark Grey or Black over light grey, then would switch back to
    • Got pics of this and the half map displays
    • Stopped in at the Dealer today ahead of appt. tomorrow and showed Service Writer who took pics
    • Other Service Writers told me they are seeing a lot of failed APIM Modules
  • If I am listening to XM Sirius Radio and have say the Grateful Dead Channel playing at normal level, when I shut down and start the car later the radio switched to AM and provides very loud static or distant AM station

• Finally as I drive away I start getting pop up screens to Accept Terms or Allow Audio Listening Data to go to Ford....I say OK, and it asks me again in a few minutes... very distracting for a driver
I am hoping they can resolve this tomorrow or at least order a new APIM. I went through this at 50K with my 2020 Explorer ST and eventually Ford had to buy it back under Lemon Law and I got my 2022. They were really fair but my 2020 was fully 5 year Cerami Coated and the whole fronte end and tailgate were PPF wrapped to protect from dings that make the aluminum oxidize. I had to go redo that again foir almost $3,000 which was a drag, but UI got a new 2022 and they moved my 100,000 mile/ 6 Year Ford ESP over to it and reset it so I was OK. I do not want to have to go Lemon Law again, was pain the butt doing all the paperwork.

Wish me luck- doing synthetic oil change and swapping my winter wheels and Blizzaks on here in Vermont too.
Have you tried to update SYNC to 23188? Sounds like a case of 22251 causing issues.

Seachief

Reactions
Vehicle
Have you tried to update SYNC to 23188? Sounds like a case of 22251 causing issues.
I've only tried joining my home Wi-Fi from the ST and scanning for updates and it shows versions and says no updates. I'm in warranty, plus Ford ESP to 100K so going to let the dealer work it out. They were very good on my previous 2020 ST...after (7) attempts to repair and make Sync and XM Radio work they gave up. I filed under Vermont Lemon Law on that....so am for sure documenting tis in case it goes that far again...God forbid. I love the rest of the vehicle and I came to Explorers from 4.4 BMW X5s and a 540 and a 740i in the past....Let's see what their head tech can do. Like I said, twoi service writers told me they're seeing failed APIM modules fairly often.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #168
I've only tried joining my home Wi-Fi from the ST and scanning for updates and it shows versions and says no updates. I'm in warranty, plus Ford ESP to 100K so going to let the dealer work it out. They were very good on my previous 2020 ST...after (7) attempts to repair and make Sync and XM Radio work they gave up. I filed under Vermont Lemon Law on that....so am for sure documenting tis in case it goes that far again...God forbid. I love the rest of the vehicle and I came to Explorers from 4.4 BMW X5s and a 540 and a 740i in the past....Let's see what their head tech can do. Like I said, twoi service writers told me they're seeing failed APIM modules fairly often.
Do you know what SYNC version you have?

hbalek

Reactions
The simple 30 minute process of downloading the update onto a USB stick and installing it saved me time taking it in to dealer not to mention the $100 deductible on my ESP. I had all the same issues and more for over 5 months. 2 months ago today, I installed the update and all problems went away.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #171
Your SYNC version is at least behind by 2 updates. I would try going online and check updates there. Not hard to do, just follow the directions. https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/

Seachief

Reactions
Vehicle
Just back from Dealer with the Blizzaks on, and fresh Synthetic Oil Change. They looked at the write\-up I did on my SYNC / Nav/ XM Sirius issues and the pics (since it was behaving almost normally when I took it in of course...glad I stopped in twice and showed the Service Writer the system in a messed up state). They tell me they have, as some of you mention above, seen exactly these and have seen them fully resolved by an update. They tell me they need (4) hours to do the update and have offered me a loaner car while they do that week after next.
I've done some updates to SYNC in the past using files downloaded onto a USB Flash Drive -in my my 2012 Explorer Limited and on my 2016 Explorer Platinum. Never did it on my 2020 Explorer ST that went back eventually last year over similar issues Ford couldn't resolve over 5 months via VT Lemon Law. I'm going to let the dealer own this; they've been really accommodating so far on it and seem sure the updates will resolve.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #173
Just back from Dealer with the Blizzaks on, and fresh Synthetic Oil Change. They looked at the write\-up I did on my SYNC / Nav/ XM Sirius issues and the pics (since it was behaving almost normally when I took it in of course...glad I stopped in twice and showed the Service Writer the system in a messed up state). They tell me they have, as some of you mention above, seen exactly these and have seen them fully resolved by an update. They tell me they need (4) hours to do the update and have offered me a loaner car while they do that week after next.
I've done some updates to SYNC in the past using files downloaded onto a USB Flash Drive -in my my 2012 Explorer Limited and on my 2016 Explorer Platinum. Never did it on my 2020 Explorer ST that went back eventually last year over similar issues Ford couldn't resolve over 5 months via VT Lemon Law. I'm going to let the dealer own this; they've been really accommodating so far on it and seem sure the updates will resolve.
It sounds like your dealer has a good service department. (y) Good luck and I do hope that updating the SYNC resolves the issues.

hbalek

Reactions
I refuse to pay my dealer $100 to update software I can do myself in 30 minutes.

Seachief

Reactions
Vehicle
In warranty they'll do it for free when there's a reproduceable issue....at least my dealer has on my last 3 Explorers. I've got no hesitation to do it myself with 30+ years working in networking and 4G/5G technology, but I want the dealer to own the issue....get it just right...call me when I can pick her back up. Now if my dealer was 100 miles away or something might feel different. Mine is 8 miles and they give me a loaner when they need to keep the car. Plus I think their Chief Tech at the dealer learned a lot trying to resolve Sync issues on my 2020 ST with Ford's support- it was in the shop (7) times before I had to go Lemon Law, so they've seen plenty messed up Sync stuff and failed APIMs etc.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I already have 23188, but out of curiosity did a manual check for an update via WiFi. It’s downloading now… is there word of a new update or maybe this is a map file or something else?

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #177
So I already have 23188, but out of curiosity did a manual check for an update via WiFi. It’s downloading now… is there word of a new update or maybe this is a map file or something else?
Mine did the same thing. Appears to be map update.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine did the same thing. Appears to be map update.
This is how my problems started last spring. Checking for a wifi update. After 23188 and resolution of all the major issues I had, I will never update again over wifi. Don't trust it! Then it took 5 months for Ford to fix all the problems caused by 22251.

Seachief

Reactions
Vehicle
My 2022 XT goes in tomorrow the issues I described above. They said there's 4.5 hours of shop time for the updates it needs. All under warranty happily...am at like 225K miles here....hopefully I;'ll have positive news to morrow- tyhey seem confident the updates they're going to apply will resolve the issues. Hopefully the APIM is OK..they thought it was last visit.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #180
Good luck. Keep us posted as to how it goes.