Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New SYNC Update 23188

hbalek

Reactions
For many it fixed a majorly f-ed up sync system. Memory problems, forgetting presets, etc. I never had and problems with mine but I updated to the latest a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine was totally messed up and this update has got it working quite well so far after almost 4 weeks.

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Hard reset did not work. Same error message for failed install. Called the technology number they listed and basically the only thing that was said was to try a different usb drive.
I actually went out and purchased a brand new 64gb usb stick just for this so I’ll see if I’ve got a 16 or 32 laying around and clear everything, format, redownload, and try again.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Formated as exFat?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, it's not the usb. VER_ERR08 is what people who had full RWDATA got when they tried to upgrade or downgrade versions (before 23188 was officially released).

It almost sounds like the "clear RWDATA" script isn't running. You might want to try Cyanlabs and use their Sync3Updater to create your 23188 upgrade USB. When FORD came out with the official release, they examined it and noted the "clear RWDATA" script and incorporated it into the latest Sync3updater, so really you shouldn't be getting that error message when using it. The app does have a learning curve though and for sure, do not try to update any maps with it (and risk bricking your APIM)

Reactions
Hard reset did not work. Same error message for failed install. Called the technology number they listed and basically the only thing that was said was to try a different usb drive.
I actually went out and purchased a brand new 64gb usb stick just for this so I’ll see if I’ve got a 16 or 32 laying around and clear everything, format, redownload, and try again.
I had all of the same issues and spent hours trying to get things to work. What finally worked was using the RWDATA cleaner utility from Cyan Labs (did a hard reset and two soft resets first). This finally allowed me to run the update and it finished in 20 minutes and fixed everything.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I'm trying to update from version 22251 to version 23188 and am receiving an ERROR CODE: LST EROR04.
I've tried multiple downloads, 2 different USB sticks, and spent 30 minutes with Ford Sync tech support and still have the same error. I've never had issues updating before. Anybody have suggestions?

Attachments

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #148
I'm trying to update from version 22251 to version 23188 and am receiving an ERROR CODE: LST EROR04.
I've tried multiple downloads, 2 different USB sticks, and spent 30 minutes with Ford Sync tech support and still have the same error. I've never had issues updating before. Anybody have suggestions?
See the post above yours. He had the same issue and found a fix.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
See the post above yours. He had the same issue and found a fix.
The website states not to use the Sync3Updater on vehicles older than 2020. Mine is a 2023. Is that correct?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The website states not to use the Sync3Updater on vehicles older than 2020. Mine is a 2023. Is that correct?
No, you can use it. You do not want to do the reformat procedure or you will brick your APIM. Simple upgrades or downgrades of SYNC versions is fine. Map upgrades are a hard NO.

Sync3Updater has a new tool to clear RWDATA that is plaguing 22251 and interfering with version upgrades. You can still use your 23188 Ford USB, but use the RWDATA clearing tool before doing so. Simply run Sync3Updater, go to Tools section, select the option to create USB to clear RWDATA.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
No, you can use it. You do not want to do the reformat procedure or you will brick your APIM. Simple upgrades or downgrades of SYNC versions is fine. Map upgrades are a hard NO.

Sync3Updater has a new tool to clear RWDATA that is plaguing 22251 and interfering with version upgrades. You can still use your 23188 Ford USB, but use the RWDATA clearing tool before doing so. Simply run Sync3Updater, go to Tools section, select the option to create USB to clear RWDATA.
Update: I took my ST to the dealer and said it's a bad APIM. Luckily it's under warranty and they ordered one (hopefully the strike doesn't affect getting the part).

ilovest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
hi folks, been a lurker here for a while now. I tried updating to this version, but the car won't detect the usb drive. I had formatted the usb drive as gpt first so it would complain that usb device is not recognized. But after fixing it and formatting with exFAT and mbr, the car won't detect the usb drive at all. USB port itself is good since AndroidAuto works just fine. Tried 2 different usb sticks but the update won't start. I have been updating the version via usb all along without any issues. Not sure what is going on now. Has anyone run into this issue?

ilovest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Are there total 8 gz files in SyncMyRide folder after you unzip the main zip file? I only see 6 files in my folder.
Do everyone see 8 files?

Attachments

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #154
It looks like you opened the SyncMyRide folder.
You should have 3 files.

SyncMyRide
autoinstall
Dontindx.msa

Should work from there.

ilovest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
It looks like you opened the SyncMyRide folder.
You should have 3 files.

SyncMyRide
autoinstall
Dontindx.msa

Should work from there.
Yeah I know about the 3 files. I was actually talking about the SyncMyRide folder. From the screenshot that I replied to, it shows 8 files in there but mine only 6, hence the question since my st is not starting the update even after leaving the usb stick plugged in for over 10 min.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #156
Yeah I know about the 3 files. I was actually talking about the SyncMyRide folder. From the screenshot that I replied to, it shows 8 files in there but mine only 6, hence the question since my st is not starting the update even after leaving the usb stick plugged in for over 10 min.
Only 6 files in mine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
hi folks, been a lurker here for a while now. I tried updating to this version, but the car won't detect the usb drive. I had formatted the usb drive as gpt first so it would complain that usb device is not recognized. But after fixing it and formatting with exFAT and mbr, the car won't detect the usb drive at all. USB port itself is good since AndroidAuto works just fine. Tried 2 different usb sticks but the update won't start. I have been updating the version via usb all along without any issues. Not sure what is going on now. Has anyone run into this issue?
I tried the update multiple times and finally took it to the dealer (still under warranty). They could not update it either and ordered a new AIPM. It's been 2 weeks so far waiting on the dealer to get the parts.

ilovest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I tried the update multiple times and finally took it to the dealer (still under warranty). They could not update it either and ordered a new AIPM. It's been 2 weeks so far waiting on the dealer to get the parts.
Yours is failing right? For me, it does not even start. My truck does not even recognize the usb stick it seems.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #159
Yours is failing right? For me, it does not even start. My truck does not even recognize the usb stick it seems.
Did you try it with these 3 files?
SyncMyRide
autoinstall
Dontindx.msa
Or the 6 you posted?

ilovest

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Did you try it with these 3 files?
SyncMyRide
autoinstall
Dontindx.msa
Or the 6 you posted?
Those 3 are there and SynMyRide out of those 3 is the folder which contains those 6 files. I didnt muck with any of the files. I was just curious since I saw 8 files in that screenshot. So i thought that was my issue and thats why was checking with you guys to see if my zip file was corrupted somehow. But looks like it is not. So the issue is something else.

Attachments