Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
As far as install, were you able to get both sides to sit in the same position front to back? for whatever reason, my passenger side sticks out more than I'd like...a good inch to 1.5 inch past the driver's side. I followed the instructions with the cuts and made sure to deburr any fragments that might prevent the Axleback pipe from overlapping the stock pipe.

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #82
As far as install, were you able to get both sides to sit in the same position front to back? for whatever reason, my passenger side sticks out more than I'd like...a good inch to 1.5 inch past the driver's side. I followed the instructions with the cuts and made sure to deburr any fragments that might prevent the Axleback pipe from overlapping the stock pipe. when it gets warmer, I'm planning to cut the stock pipe another inch to get the end of the Axleback to sit an inch forward.
Funny you mention that since I noticed something similar, but maybe only half inch or so. The muffler on that side was a lot harder to slide on, but I figured it was just tolerance differences of the factory piping. Having the adjustable tips made it easy to line it up, but assuming I acquire the new factory pipes, I’ll test fit and maybe cut a hair more off the one side. Otherwise, no complaints at all.

EDIT: I just carted off the stock mufflers for scrap, and was curious about something first. It’s hard to tell in the picture, but with my eyes, I could see the cut point was slightly different on the passenger side. I’d say anyone would be safe to cut at 2” from the bend line on that side or go down to maybe 1” on the driver’s side so both muffler assemblies would line up more exact. I’ll definitely look in to it soon enough when I acquire the new factory pipes. My cuts were slightly at an angle, but you get the idea. Might even be worth mentioning to Gibson.

C88ABCFA-E9B3-4C48-A648-4E59F100EC9A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #83
I'll definitely look at it again when I have the other kit on the ground, but from memory, mine lined up the same way. May not matter with the bend, but I did also notice the hanger on the passenger side being closer to the upper bushing bracket. Probably just as safe to stay with the 1.5" cut like Gibson specifies. No noise for me, and with the tips lining up nicely, it will be awhile until I mess with it now that it's getting cold outside.

EDIT: Also, with those band clamps (Evil Energy from Amazon), the bolts that come with them are junk. I bought some Grade 10.9 M10-60 flange head bolts and nuts and used them instead. In the event I have to adjust the clamps or loosen them and re-tighten, I don't have much faith in those cheap steel bolts.

Looks good in any case!

Gibson tips (1).JPG

Gibson tips (2).JPG

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #84
Interesting. No change in sound here other than the typical cold-start loudness that fades away after a few minutes. Highly pleased with everything, but I’ll check that passenger side hanger if anything changes.

NappyNick

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Still waiting. Ordered in the 29th. Talked to Gibson and they said they are out of black tips. Just my luck. Hopefully I get an up day soon.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Still waiting. Ordered in the 29th. Talked to Gibson and they said they are out of black tips. Just my luck. Hopefully I get an up day soon.
That's too bad. Did they have an ETA? The black tips are really super nice looking on an ST, I have to say.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s been close to 10 years since I installed axle back exhaust in my mustang GT, but I didn’t have to cut anything with that install. I’m reading that you have to do it with this. Not something I necessarily want to try. Not sure I even have the tools to do it. I thought axle back installs just involved clamping the new exhaust on after removal of the factory exhaust/mufflers.

Reactions
has no one thought about having this welded in rather than using any clamps? Im in the market for ' something ' just to get a little extra sound out of mine, this fits.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It’s been close to 10 years since I installed axle back exhaust in my mustang GT, but I didn’t have to cut anything with that install. I’m reading that you have to do it with this. Not something I necessarily want to try. Not sure I even have the tools to do it. I thought axle back installs just involved clamping the new exhaust on after removal of the factory exhaust/mufflers.
Unfortunately the stock exhaust has no detachment point just before the mufflers. Cutting is easily done with a reciprocating saw, preferably with metal cutting blade.

has no one thought about having this welded in rather than using any clamps? Im in the market for ' something ' just to get a little extra sound out of mine, this fits.
i personally don't think there is any need to weld. I wish i had removable mufflers when i did the Steeda rear sway bar.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #91
Is it really worth it?
Is what worth it? Welding, or the kit itself?

If you are asking about the kit, it's fantastic. A perfect sound with zero rasp and no drone. Just put about seven hours of driving on mine over the weekend and wondered if the extra rumble would be fatiguing? Not at all.
Really enjoy how it turned out.

As for welding: easy enough if you don’t ever plan on removing it. The lap-joint band clamps make it just too easy to remove if you are ever doing any work underneath, so they are a no-brainer. Since Gibson also gives you a lifetime warranty, it’s also easy to remove any part of the kit if something unfortunate comes up.

Last edited:

Tommy Flippen

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Gibson Axle Back Installed! Pros....Great product, well made, looks good, sounds good, lifetime warranty, reasonable installation. Cons....Slight drone in sport mode between 2100 and 2400 rpm but not overbearing, depending on your level of desired perfection and your age the alignment of the tips could fill a lifetime. Four hands are better than two.... Jus' saying! Overall, well worth the time and money go get one!

Attachments

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #93
Very nice to hear. Glad this kit continues to move well and get positive feedback. Enjoy the sound of mine more and more each day.

Reactions
I'm hoping to get mine soon, I ordered almost 2 weeks ago, still has yet to ship though.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm hoping to get mine soon, I ordered almost 2 weeks ago, still has yet to ship though.
It'll be worth the wait. Looks like the newer ones are completely painted black. That's a plus.

Last edited:
Reactions
It'll be worth the wait. Looks like the newer ones are completely painted black. That's a plus.
still no update on it, by chance what do you mean completely painted black?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just to be clear.... I painted my system with VHT flat black prior to installation.
Ahhhh... Thanks for the clarification. I did see some of their systems are completely black, so I thought that was a running change. Nice job on that!

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #99
Good call on the paint. Mine is filthy right now from salt and winter crud, but I’ll re-adjust the tips down the road when the weather is nice and maybe hit the welds with some high-temp coating as well. Not really noticeable anyway, but something to do while I’m down there. Still loving the kit and its perfect sound.

0DFF5FD5-7864-4ED8-B5B1-7360DDC3FFA2.jpeg

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #100
And for others interested:

C583FCC1-3392-4CC1-99B0-62FC61D991BB.jpeg

Explorer ST Posts