Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

Reactions
Have been in touch with one of the techs at Gibson over the last several weeks after being curious about a protoype kit a member had sold on here. Anyway, they have an axle-back kit coming out real soon that has two mufflers in it, which won’t make it as loud and raspy as the straight-pipe kits. There are only a couple video clips out there now (from the member here), but it has a nice muscle-car sound to it.

When it hits the market on the Gibson site (https://gibsonperformance.com/) the part numbers will be 619718 with chrome tips and 619718B with black ceramic tips. Not sure yet what the material will be, but for the DIY crowd, it may be a nice alternative to having custom axle-back kits cobbled together.

Preliminary pic:
64EDABFB-513E-400B-8391-1747B0BF9BF9.png

Shown on their development vehicle:

3565DAA9-CCEA-4C9E-8067-E7E2C423F478.png

Only clips available so far (sound much better through earbuds than over speakers):

I currently have an MRT H-pipe on mine and will be interested to hear this when mated to it. In any case, it's another choice that may be wallet-friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions
Good to see another company starting to offer parts. Interesting to see the final product.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Good to see another company starting to offer parts. Interesting to see the final product.
Definitely! I did suggest they get a good video clip or two once they release the final kit, and use band clamps instead of those awful u-bolts. Will be looking forward to it for sure.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not familiar with Gibson Performance, but I literally cringed reading their advertising:

Gibson Exhaust Systems are designed and Dyno tuned to get the most out of your vehicle. Minimal interior sound with maximum quality of sound outside. The styling, quality, and sound check off all the boxes for what is to be expected from this amazing SUV. Plus not only does your ride look like a cop now you can be faster than one…. Enjoy the ability of making others slow on the freeway while you smash the gas past them in a high speed chase of adrenaline.

So, where are the "dyno" tests? Now you can be faster than a cop? You smash the gas past them?
Sheesh, who writes this stuff? :rolleyes:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nice option for those that just want the tips changed (if you like their tips) because the price is similar.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I'm not familiar with Gibson Performance, but I literally cringed reading their advertising:

Gibson Exhaust Systems are designed and Dyno tuned to get the most out of your vehicle. Minimal interior sound with maximum quality of sound outside. The styling, quality, and sound check off all the boxes for what is to be expected from this amazing SUV. Plus not only does your ride look like a cop now you can be faster than one…. Enjoy the ability of making others slow on the freeway while you smash the gas past them in a high speed chase of adrenaline.

So, where are the "dyno" tests? Now you can be faster than a cop? You smash the gas past them?
Sheesh, who writes this stuff? :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's a bit cheesy, but Gibson has been in existence for quite a while and lots of their kits are floating around on plenty of trucks. Either way, just another option for anyone wanting to just change out the tips and not have the awful rasp you get with straight pipes. I wouldn't count on any kit for the ST making noticeable power gains, so it's just all about whatever sound one might like. Even better, they have a discount code up there now which knocks off about 20%. Gibson Black Friday.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Not everyone wants an axle-back kit that is just straight pipes. That’s what makes this option decent since it’s noticeable but not necessarily obnoxious.

Reactions
Not everyone wants an axle-back kit that is just straight pipes. That’s what makes this option decent since it’s noticeable but not necessarily obnoxious.
completely agree
we offer all the options including the Gibson when it's actually available

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Gibson's website says they are in stock and ship in 2-3 days. You're saying it actually isn't and won't be available for a while?

Edit: Gibson rep says they need to make them, maybe 1-1.5 weeks.

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
As much as I think the Magnaflow kit has the best sound for the ST, I'm not seeing a point in spending $1600+ on it. With the B.F. discount, getting this kit with the black ceramic tips for $500 is much more pleasant. That being said, if you are not a fan of the u-bolts, it's easy to score lap joint clamps for less than $20.

Lap joint clamps.jpg

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
... it's easy to score lap joint clamps for less than $20.
Sounds good. I'd need 2.25" clamps, correct?

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Sounds good. I'd need 2.25" clamps, correct?
Correct - I think. Might be worth checking with Gibson though. According to the install instructions the clamps supplied are 2.25" even though the specs mention the 2.5" inlet of the mufflers. I'd still check on the specs of those band clamps (it's been a while since I've purchased any) since I think the small ID covers the OD of the 2.25" pipe, and the step is meant for a pipe that slips over. I think you can even get them through most local auto parts stores, so it should be easy to check the fit.

Instruction sheet under the "Documents" tab:

https://gibsonperformance.com/i-23272428-20-21-ford-explorer-st-black-ceramic-stainless-exhaust-stainless-619718b.html#!submodel=3.0L||model=EXPLORER ST||make=FORD||year=2020

On a side note, I dug up images of the Gibson SFT "muffler" as an FYI - still better than straight pipes if you don't want to annoy the hell out of your neighbors.

Gibson SFT muffler.jpeg

gibson sft1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Put in my order for the ‘B’ kit today, confirmed it will be a couple weeks or so to receive it, which is not a big deal. Getting it for around $500 was nice. Since I‘m not planning on swapping out the DP’s, just didn’t see the need to spend 3x more just for a sound change. Always happy to support smaller companies as well. Will get some pics when it arrives, and eventually follow it up with sound clips. Looking forward to the change.

108D0323-5E34-4D5B-B8C2-748DBC3B7ED8.jpeg

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
For anyone that has ordered these kits, just got word that Gibson anticipates they’ll start shipping in a couple weeks. They are a bit behind due to Thanksgiving, but are hustling. On a good note, over 40 kits were sold right off the bat which is very cool.

Last edited:
Reactions
Is there a BF Code still active?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Is there a BF Code still active?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not that I know, but you can always call them and grovel. Still a decent price no matter what, but the discount was definitely a bonus.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Assuming Gibson is shipping the exhaust clamps shown in the above picture they need to up their game and step into this century using modern clamps.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Assuming Gibson is shipping the exhaust clamps shown in the above picture they need to up their game and step into this century using modern clamps.
Yep, I inquired about that. From their perspective, they didn't want to use band clamps since the u-bolts provide maximum clamping force. Liability, I imagine. Probably saves a few $$$ as well. No worries though, the lap-joint clamps I showed a few posts back are easy enough to acquire or the kit can simply be welded to the existing pipes. Also, with the air deflector in place, I don't think they are even visible. In any case, they are selling well so far and I'm glad I was able to spread the word.

Here's roughly where those u-bolts will be, so with the air deflector, they'll probably be fairly well hidden for those that end up using them.

Exhaust3.jpg

Last edited: