Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

Reactions
So..... do you have to cut your stock exhaust to utilize their pipes?

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
So..... do you have to cut your stock exhaust to utilize their pipes?
It's stated in the directions and should be obvious by looking at the picture of it installed. No different than the other axle-back kits out there, or custom replacement of the mufflers.

Gibson prototype.jpg

Reactions
I must have missed the pics, thanks

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, it's been nice here in NE Ohio so while I wait for the Gibson, decided to do the bulk of the labor and saw off the stock exhaust per Gibson instructions. My battery operated Bosch mini reciprocating saw with Diablo 6" metal cutting blade took about 45 seconds each side. Cleaned up the burrs with a dremel. I reattached the stock axeback with a pair of butt-joint band clamps. The Gibson should be no fuss to install now. I hate doing car work when it's freezing cold--which is coming soon enough, no doubt!

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
Coincidentally, just got shipment notification that mine will be here Saturday. Unfortunately, the warm spell coming tomorrow will be short-lived, so I'll be looking forward to breaking out my reciprocating saw on chilly Saturday. Still have the MRT H-pipe attached, so I'll be curious how it sounds with this kit. Worst case, I'll give it a couple days then maybe have the stock resonator welded back in first thing next week.

Reactions
Coincidentally, just got shipment notification that mine will be here Saturday. Unfortunately, the warm spell coming tomorrow will be short-lived, so I'll be looking forward to breaking out my reciprocating saw on chilly Saturday. Still have the MRT H-pipe attached, so I'll be curious how it sounds with this kit. Worst case, I'll give it a couple days then maybe have the stock resonator welded back in first thing next week.
Once installed, please post a video so we can hear the amazingness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #48
Once installed, please post a video so we can hear the amazingness!

Sure will - and hopefully better than that one ^^^^^!!

Still shows it will be delivered tomorrow, but it’s supposed to be rainy all day. If Sunday is nice, I’ll be on it for sure.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #49
My kit finally showed up today despite being listed for Saturday. Looks great and the tips will be a nice change. Unfortunately, the band clamps I have are one step too large, so I have to run up to NAPA and see if they can exchange them. Was going to install it today, but maybe tomorrow if the clamps roll in.

836B9DE5-BF87-43CF-A09A-FF2C7BE5E5C8.jpeg
C14B0DEA-946C-4100-8C1C-294D784F8F82.jpeg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Interesting you got a T-shirt!!

Installed the axle back this morning. Took longer than I thought, mainly just making adjustments to the alignment--I would recommend some silicone spray on the pipe overlap to make it easier. Be prepared to fiddle trying to get the double outlets level, the left side hanging and sticking out like the right side and then lastly the position of the tips. You should shoot for enough pipe overlap so the tips don't stick out too far. The 2.25" band clamps I linked earlier worked well. In any case, everything seems high quality. Hope to do some driving later today to hear the sound.

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #51
The rep at Gibson threw in the shirt for me since I put in the effort to promote the kit on a couple forums as well as some Facebook groups. It definitely helped their sales, which was nice to hear. Got a bit more of a discount on mine, too.

Glad your band clamps worked. Mine were too big, so NAPA ordered the next size down, and those turned out to be too small. I guess I’ll be hitting up Amazon for the ones you found, and should have them tomorrow. If it isn't too cold, hopefully I can knock this out. Looking forward to more video clips.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sound is deeper and a little louder--most noticeable when cold starting the car. It is pretty mellow overall which is what I wanted. The sound is not loud enough to cause problems with the neighbors. On the highway, there is some drone when cruising and giving slight throttle to maintain speed at 2k rpm. When I'm playing my tunes, I don't notice the exhaust sound very much at all. Basically, if you are looking for loud, aggressive sound, this is probably not for you. If you want deeper, slightly louder sound, then this is perfect. I like the sound and love the large, black tips. Looks a lot better than stock.

9F3D950C-606D-4D31-8B21-17C13D2F09A9.jpeg A3C25152-7689-41B5-A772-8AC5F34C600C.jpeg
20DFA9F0-8E27-4086-AF47-A7D5676AED72.jpeg 8DE063B5-DF4A-402C-A823-A999A8427690.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #53
Great to hear! I'm thinking mine might be a bit too loud with the MRT H-pipe, but will be looking forward to hearing it first. Might just have a local shop weld the resonator back in and enjoy the new mellow sound. Definitely looks much nicer than stock.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, that MRT H-pipe with the Gibson may as well be a complete aftermarket exhaust. Curious what the result will be.

So I had to redo my tip install. They really need to be installed on the parallel portions of the outlet tubes or they will be cockeyed. No one will probably notice but you, but maybe my OCD was kicking in so I moved them out. This is why I said earlier that when mating to the stock pipe, you need to get the axle back as much overlap as possible while keeping left and right equal.

Reactions
Sound is deeper and a little louder--most noticeable when cold starting the car. It is pretty mellow overall which is what I wanted. The sound is not loud enough to cause problems with the neighbors. On the highway, there is a drone like sound when cruising and giving slight throttle to maintain speed at 2k rpm. It's probably stock sound but just a notch louder though. When I'm playing my tunes, I don't notice the exhaust sound very much at all. Basically, if you are looking for loud, aggressive sound, this is probably not for you. If you want deeper, slightly louder sound, then this is perfect. I like the sound and love the large, black tips. Looks a lot better than stock.

View attachment 9115 View attachment 9116
View attachment 9121 View attachment 9123
How bad is the drone?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
We discussed this briefly earlier in the thread. Gibson did get back to me to answer my question. Not that this matters to anyone but their pipes and mufflers (619718) are made from 409 Stainless and the tips are made for 304 stainless. That may only matter to those who observe their pipes from behind and then over the long haul, 409 tends to surface rust a bit more.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not very loud. i noticed it around 2k rpm going 70mph in 9th gear and 50mph in 7th gear. This is with no music playing. you do not have to increase the music volume to overcome the drone, lol.

Edit: likely due to failed flex section

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #58
We discussed this briefly earlier in the thread. Gibson did get back to me to answer my question. Not that this matters to anyone but their pipes and mufflers (619718) are made from 409 Stainless and the tips are made for 304 stainless. That may only matter to those who observe their pipes from behind and then over the long haul, 409 tends to surface rust a bit more.
I figured that was the case. Probably not a big deal though, since 409 cleans up real easy with ScotchBrite if it starts to get brown at all. This this kit is easy to get at, so it shouldn't take much to wipe it down as necessary for a nicer look.

Yeah, that MRT H-pipe with the Gibson may as well be a complete aftermarket exhaust. Curious what the result will be.

So I had to redo my tip install. They really need to be installed on the parallel portions of the outlet tubes or they will be cockeyed. No one will probably notice but you, but maybe my OCD was kicking in so I moved them out. This is why I said earlier that when mating to the stock pipe, you need to get the axle back as much overlap as possible while keeping left and right equal.
Yeah, mine will be kind of similar to the MBRP kit (but for a lot less), with the exception of the 'H' vs their 'X'. I'd imagine I'll just put the factory resonator back in, but I'll be willing to try it out this way first. Just too bad I had back luck with the clamps and am waiting on replacements, since I probably won't get around to installing it for at least a couple weeks.

Otherwise, if you can get a start-up and idle video clip, that would be fantastic. I have one linked on Facebook, but can't download it. Sounded great for sure and looking forward to posting some clips of my own at some point.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
IOtherwise, if you can get a start-up and idle video clip, that would be fantastic. I have one linked on Facebook, but can't download it. Sounded great for sure and looking forward to posting some clips of my own at some point.
No T-shirt, no video!

lol. Not sure my phone would take good video/sound of that or even the best way to do it.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #60
No T-shirt, no video!

lol. Not sure my phone would take good video/sound of that or even the best way to do it.
:LOL::LOL:

Not to worry, I'll get some sound clips eventually. Either will use the iPhone or get my good digital camera out of storage.

Explorer ST Posts