Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah... maximum clamping force... these clamp by crushing pipes. They do it because it's cheaper, not because it's a better solution. As I indicated, the world is on to this, they need to step their game up.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Obviously they are cheaper, and of course they work by crushing/crimping the pipe. Still, you can just as easily grab the lap joint clamps or just weld. I don’t work for Gibson, so grousing about them is a waste of time. Doesn’t really matter anyway since the kits have been selling fine.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had no idea the U bolts were that bad so I appreciate the discussion. The Gibson is just what I wanted: the right sized black tips, a bit more sound, and priced right. I don't like that I have to saw off the stock exhaust but already have sawzall with metal cutting blade--so not too big of a deal.

Reactions
Can someone provide a link to the lap joint clamps that you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
I had no idea the U bolts were that bad so I appreciate the discussion. The Gibson is just what I wanted: the right sized black tips, a bit more sound, and priced right. I don't like that I have to saw off the stock exhaust but already have sawzall with metal cutting blade--so not too big of a deal.
The U-bolt clamps are not bad at all and probably are more secure than the band clamps since they crimp the pipe (that makes any disassembly a real pain!). They just don't win any awards as far as looks go. You won't have any issues if you use them, and they'll be mostly hidden away if the factory air deflector is present.

Great call on the kit too. I have one other video clip of a start and at idle and it sounds fantastic. Just wish I had a way to download it off a Facebook group so I could add it here too. I did send a note to the guy whose vehicle was used by Gibson (it was his clip) hoping he could e-mail it to me or just attach it to this thread. He loved how this kit sounded and I think a lot of us will. Definitely priced right!

Can someone provide a link to the lap joint clamps that you recommend?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The link below your post should work. I got mine at a nearby NAPA. Although they were more than the ones on Amazon, I was fine buying local.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The U-bolt clamps are not bad at all and probably are more secure than the band clamps since they crimp the pipe (that makes any disassembly a real pain!). They just don't win any awards as far as looks go. You won't have any issues if you use them, and they'll be mostly hidden away if the factory air deflector is present
OK, thanks. I am definitely concerned about disassembly. As we all know, there has been an exhaust recall and I want the ability to be able to put back the stock axle back with butt joint band clamp. My Explorer is not in that recall but if it develops the same issues, it should be covered and I want a way to return things to stock.

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
I believe the exhaust problems (if there's a recall?) were/are for the welds on the downpipes. You won't have any issues adding an axle back kit. If your DP's had to come off, the flex-pipes are easily removable without having to pull the rest of the exhaust. Even if you swap your rear sway bar, as an example, lowering the rear of the exhaust without removing it is still not a big deal. See you around NE OH!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just remember someone posting that they had an exhaust leak (at the cat) and the dealer replacing the entire exhaust. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Edit: see this thread. A few mentions of exhaust leaks resulting in complete replacements. May not be related to the recall.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/exhaust-break-behind-muffler.2347/

Now you have me curious, where in "The midwest"?

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
There are 3 problems with the OE exhaust that I've read comments on. The weld at the convertor, the flex pipe, and where the pipe goes into the rear muffler breaking loose. I think that's enough reason to consider an aftermarket exhaust.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
I just remember someone posting that they had an exhaust leak (at the cat) and the dealer replacing the entire exhaust. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Edit: see this thread. A few mentions of exhaust leaks resulting in complete replacements. May not be related to the recall.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/exhaust-break-behind-muffler.2347/

Now you have me curious, where in "The midwest"?
Any exhaust leaks around the catalysts are irrelevant to the tail pipes, so I wouldn’t let that worry you. They are probably handled under warranty, but good if Ford recalled any. I couldn’t see an entire exhaust being replaced unless there were many other welds on the way out, especially if the mileage is higher. As for the flex pipes, seems the newer ones are a bit more robust, so plenty of us have had no problems with them.

In NE OH as well, by the way.

There are 3 problems with the OE exhaust that I've read comments on. The weld at the convertor, the flex pipe, and where the pipe goes into the rear muffler breaking loose. I think that's enough reason to consider an aftermarket exhaust.
I could see some welds cracking where any of the pipes meet the mufflers or resonator since they are on the heavy side. If you have stock components and aren’t getting replacements through Ford, just as easy to have a local shop handle it. The aftermarket gear is also definitely better in that respect (Including this kit). Sounds like plenty that have had problems with DP welds or flex pipes have had luck with Ford, but then again, it’s probably not a huge amount of vehicles. Have been lucky with mine - Zero problems since Day 1.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm pretty sure that the Gibson system will be just the ticket for many looking to upgrade their system. It's certainly priced right.

I haven't had any issues with mine (it's about worn out with a whole 3500 miles on it). ;) I kinda felt like I received 6 pluses by going with my choice in systems.

First and foremost, I wanted a little more growl.
I wanted (read: not needed), just because I can, a larger diameter pipe.
I wanted black tips as opposed to chrome also larger to fill cutout holes.
I wanted the exhaust to exit the rear of the vehicle instead of pointing downward.
I wanted to eliminate the somewhat likely future problems with the OE flex pipes.
I potentially avoided having the OE muffler inlets crack.

It's not often you can get that many benefits (as I see them) in one mod/upgrade. The Thermal R&D system checked all the wants/desires boxes for me.

I'm particular and definitely wanted a 304 Stainless Steel system. Nothing wrong with 409 SS in a warm, dry climate but I live in a snowy, salted road environment.

I haven't replaced my downpipes. I certainly will if these crack.

Thanks, @ron@whooshmotorsports.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
^It's a nice kit. I personally just had better things to spend the extra $1100 on. To each his own though.

My flex pipes are still perfect, so I'm not worried about them. Same with the DP's. No concern for the factory tubing since the OE stuff is quite durable and long lasting. I'm sure the Gibson kit will be the same. Its black tips will look great and no doubt it offers some extra growl as well.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
What type of steel are the Gibson pipes made from?

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
All the info on their site, including the graphic on the previous page shows T304. The difference obviously being the tips: polished vs. ceramic coated.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I hadn't really looked at their site until I considered the price delta you listed. I briefly viewed their site and didn't see where it specifically answered this question. They do denote that their tips are 304 Stainless. It made me wonder if their pipes aren't aluminized steel. I do know years ago that's how Gibson made pipes.

One of the graphics on the previous page does mention aluminized steel along with 304 Stainless in the same ad but I don't know what's what. I mean no offense and I'm really not trying to knock this system (other than the clamps) but aluminized steel vs. stainless is a whole different league. Having said that I don't know what this system uses.

Last edited:
OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
It’s a bit vague, but I’m confident they are using all stainless. With their warranty, it shouldn’t be an issue. Glad you found the kit that works for you in any case.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Noticed on a lot of their "stainless" kits, piping is 409.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #40
Noticed on a lot of their "stainless" kits, piping is 409.
I did see that, but this shows the 304 tips anyway. I'm not worried about the main pipes or muffler body since it's probably on par with OE gear. My former '14 Explorer Sport has been through seven Ohio winters and still has the factory exhaust on it that shows no signs of quitting. With this one, I'm sure there won't be any problems with it, so I was more than happy to dive in.

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts