Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler R&D Thread

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Sorry mixed up the 2 questions i was thinking of when I wrote it. To answer your question, air over a smooth surface moves slower than a slightly rough surface. Friction of the air on the surface. But something tells me you are aware of that.

The turbulant air question I was trying to ask was around the end caps and does it really matter if squared or shaped. Logic would say smooth bend vs square ends is better, but it might not matter.

Haha, yes I am aware of fluid dynamics (air being a fluid) but curious of your thought process.
I can't answer your question though but I'm thinking along the same lines as you in that the air entering the intercooler has to slam up against the end tank then "find" its way through the intercooler rather than it being "directed" into the intercooler via angled entry.

The way to test this at least partially would be to flow test it with the max cfm the engine produces and check the pressure drop from inlet to outlet.

There may or may not be any difference in restriction until higher flow than what stock or tuned vehicles produce. Now if you had bigger turbos, high flowing exhaust, etc pushing 700 hp the probability for the non contoured intercooler inlet/outlet pipes causing a restriction increases.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
All of this stuff is pressurized…you won’t find a measurable difference between rounded end tanks and squared off.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As @UNBROKEN writes, it's really not a big deal about square vs rounded end tank although it's not due to the pressure, it's due to velocity. Air ends up stalling in corners effectively "rounding" the internal corner areas due to higher boundary layer friction- a 90 degree corner has greater surface area than a rounded corner. The effect of that is hardly measurable. The more important design consideration is the 90 degree turn between the intercooler inlet and outlets and the plate channels.

Regardless of the amount of pressurization (density), the air coming out of the compressor has velocity (kinetic energy) and since the air enters and leaves the intercooler at a 90 degree angle there is no doubt that this will cause some turbulence as the charge air slams into the front wall of the tank and then has to change direction to run through the channels in the plates. The effect of this flow disruption relative to the compressor nozzle is to cause a pressure rise at that point. That contributes to "pressure loss" through the intercooler along with internal friction and changes in volume.

The pressure loss requires the compressor to "work harder"- provide a higher boost level than what is commanded by the ECU, but in reality it's the efficiency of the intercooler to lower the charge air temp that has the biggest affect on performance.

Last edited:

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
As @UNBROKEN writes, it's really not a big deal about square vs rounded end tank although it's not due to the pressure, it's due to velocity. Air ends up stalling in corners effectively "rounding" the internal corner areas due to higher boundary layer friction- a 90 degree corner has greater surface area than a rounded corner. The effect of that is hardly measurable. The more important design consideration is the 90 degree turn between the intercooler inlet and outlets and the plate channels.

Regardless of the amount of pressurization (density), the air coming out of the compressor has velocity (kinetic energy) and since the air enters and leaves the intercooler at a 90 degree angle there is no doubt that this will cause some turbulence as the charge air slams into the front wall of the tank and then has to change direction to run through the channels in the plates. The effect of this flow disruption relative to the compressor nozzle is to cause a pressure rise at that point. That contributes to "pressure loss" through the intercooler along with internal friction and changes in volume.

The pressure loss requires the compressor to "work harder"- provide a higher boost level than what is commanded by the ECU, but in reality it's the efficiency of the intercooler to lower the charge air temp that has the biggest affect on performance.
Not completely related to the subject but this is a cool vid showing a see through intercooler.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A flawed premise, a flawed process and a flawed execution lead to....absolutely nothing! WTF was he trying to prove? I want that 10 minutes back!

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
A flawed premise, a flawed process and a flawed execution lead to....absolutely nothing! WTF was he trying to prove? I want that 10 minutes back!
Wow tough crowd. I thought seeing the temp differential and watching how the smoke (airflow) made its way through was cool to see.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Just my two cents...but I've seen people paint their FMIC all the time. If you really want to tweak the look its not hard to do. With this vehicle there isn't much visible between the front grill and the active shutters...I'm not worries too much about it.

After this bad boy goes in people are only going to be seeing our taillights...maybe work on some tailgate mods lol...

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Definitely would prefer a black with silver or white logo.
I painted my Whipple on front with Eastwood radiator paint. Supposedly it has good thermal characteristics and spray thin coats.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I painted my Whipple on front with Eastwood radiator paint. Supposedly it has good thermal characteristics and spray thin coats.
Thanks and that would be my back up plan. Although I wonder about putting another layer however thin over the powder coat that these will have.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #71
Just my two cents...but I've seen people paint their FMIC all the time. If you really want to tweak the look its not hard to do. With this vehicle there isn't much visible between the front grill and the active shutters...I'm not worries too much about it.

After this bad boy goes in people are only going to be seeing our taillights...maybe work on some tailgate mods lol...
Just to follow up on this - yep, since we're retaining the grille shutters and other components, you'll really have to be looking to see the silver coating. But, that said, read the next comment if you're looking to change the coloring yourself

Thanks and that would be my back up plan. Although I wonder about putting another layer however thin over the powder coat that these will have.
Yep, thin coats are ideal. Primarily you'll want to avoid paint collection on the intercooler fins, since that's what's doing the cooling

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just to follow up on this - yep, since we're retaining the grille shutters and other components, you'll really have to be looking to see the silver coating. But, that said, read the next comment if you're looking to change the coloring yourself

Yep, thin coats are ideal. Primarily you'll want to avoid paint collection on the intercooler fins, since that's what's doing the cooling

-Nick
Thanks Nick. Think I’ll just leave it as stock given the comments about it not being that visible. Looking forward to the announcement that it is available to order. I’m guessing that’s coming shortly, right? :)

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #73
Thanks Nick. Think I’ll just leave it as stock given the comments about it not being that visible. Looking forward to the announcement that it is available to order. I’m guessing that’s coming shortly, right? :)
VERY shortly :D Right now we're within 2 weeks as of today

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #75
Hey Guys!

Happy Friday! I'm bumping this thread with some GREAT news - the time has come! Our Explorer ST Intercoolers are now available on presale, with a special introductory price of $919.95. This pricing will only last for a limited time, so make sure to grab yours before the sale ends! We expect to begin shipping these in approximately 3-5 weeks

PERFORMANCE FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER KIT, FITS FORD EXPLORER ST 2020+

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Great news. Order placed! Look forward to getting this and getting it installed.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Nice! How long do you think the pre-sale is going for?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Are there going to be any flow charts/temp charts to see how it compares to the whipple?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Are there going to be any flow charts/temp charts to see how it compares to the whipple?
If you look at the information they released its better in some areas (temps are deff lower & sustained). End of the day its a huge upgrade from stock and a great entry level price!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you look at the information they released its better in some areas (temps are deff lower & sustained). End of the day its a huge upgrade from stock and a great entry level price!
Where did you find data on the Whipple to compare?