Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler R&D Thread

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just picked up my ST yesterday, so I guess this is good timing.

I don't expect there to be a performance improvement vs. the Whipple IC, so a launch discount price is what I'm looking for.
Honestly think a few people are in that boat lolol

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey Guys!

As promised, we have the testing data ready for your viewing pleasure! Head over to our Engineering Blog for a full look at our testing:

FORD FAMILY FUN – 2020+ FORD EXPLORER ST PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER R&D, PART 4 – DYNO TESTING

As always, don't hesitate reach out with any questions that you might have!

Thanks,
Nick
Nick, that looks promising...any updates on launch pricing and date of shipping? Trigger finger is getting twitchy on competitor offerings, but I keep holding off hoping it has a release date soon.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Love what the numbers show. When are we talking release??

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Another one waiting for pre sale pricing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Reactions
Hey Guys!

As promised, we have the testing data ready for your viewing pleasure! Head over to our Engineering Blog for a full look at our testing:

As always, don't hesitate reach out with any questions that you might have!

Thanks,
Nick
Numbers look good. What octane fuel did you test with?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Same here, like to see price

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #49
Nick, that looks promising...any updates on launch pricing and date of shipping? Trigger finger is getting twitchy on competitor offerings, but I keep holding off hoping it has a release date soon.
Great question! We're looking at a presale launch the second week of July, and the intercoolers should arrive at your door about 3-5 weeks following that. We're still finishing up a few things so the date isn't quite locked in just yet, but I'll keep you guys in the loop!

Good numbers, What consist of "Stage 1" parts wise. Also who was the tuner?
Numbers look good. What octane fuel did you test with?
Our donor vehicle was using a ZFG stage 1 93 octane tune with our catch can being the only other component installed

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What are we looking at for a presale launch price?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Might be a dumb question but does powdercoating effect heat transfer? I always thought bare aluminum was better than painted but never considered powdercoating.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It absolutely affects heat transfer negatively. To what degree depends on the thickness of the coating and whether other, more conductive powders are used in the process.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Amazing timing as i'm looking at available intercoolers...I guess I can wait a couple weeks to take advantage of this!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How much flow difference is there from curved ends vs squared ends like competitors? Does the flow dynamics matter for that design as turbulent air flows faster in most cases.

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
How much flow difference is there from curved ends vs squared ends like competitors? Does the flow dynamics matter for that design as turbulent air flows faster in most cases.
How does turbulent air travel faster? Not trying to be a pain or troll, sincerely curious how you've come to this conclusion?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Sorry mixed up the 2 questions i was thinking of when I wrote it. To answer your question, air over a smooth surface moves slower than a slightly rough surface. Friction of the air on the surface. But something tells me you are aware of that.

The turbulant air question I was trying to ask was around the end caps and does it really matter if squared or shaped. Logic would say smooth bend vs square ends is better, but it might not matter.