Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler R&D Thread

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #108
Hey guys!

Just a quick bump to this thread - We've received some comments about the installation process and some who are running into some issues - If you're having similar issues please shoot me a PM and our engineering team and I would be more than happy to help out as much as we can with the install!

We're also bringing in another vehicle for a test fit and to make an install video focusing on how to get through the tricky bits. I'll be sure to post up the video and updated instructions once we have them ready.

Thanks again, guys!

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey guys!

Just a quick bump to this thread - We've received some comments about the installation process and some who are running into some issues - If you're having similar issues please shoot me a PM and our engineering team and I would be more than happy to help out as much as we can with the install!

We're also bringing in another vehicle for a test fit and to make an install video focusing on how to get through the tricky bits. I'll be sure to post up the video and updated instructions once we have them ready.

Thanks again, guys!

-Nick
Nick i live in PA (about an Hour away from DE) i also just received my intercooler yesterday so not installed yet.

PM me if you would like my vehicle for a video.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #110
Nick i live in PA (about an Hour away from DE) i also just received my intercooler yesterday so not installed yet.

PM me if you would like my vehicle for a video.
Shooting you a PM!

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #111
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to chime in here again, and make sure that you have a copy of the installation instructions!

Explorer ST Intercooler Written Installation Guide

We have our donor vehicle arriving in the shop tomorrow so we can work on the updated install guide and video. I'll keep you guys posted as those materials are finished.

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #112
Hey Gang!

Explorer ST is in the house! We're working on our install guide as we speak!

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I'm so excited to drop this off for install. Don't have luxury of a garage in the city...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Had mine installed two days ago. No problems. Connection tabs aligned by sliding sideways and fit perfectly. Took 3 hours.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #116
Hey Guys!

Back again for a quick update for those looking to install over the weekend. I'll start by first saying that we've making updates to the design for the units currently in production and beyond. I'll have more info on that soon!

Ok, so our findings while we had our donor vehicle in since we had our engineer, and some less mechanically inclined folks perform this install to get to the bottom of the issue. It seems that one of the main causes of the radiator tab snapping is supporting the weight while working on the driver-side charge pipe, so, again, having a second set of hands for this installation is ideal. In either case, we were still able to get our prototype and a production unit installed without damaging the tab, but it's admittedly tricky. That said, however, while the part numbers match through the years, there's likely enough of a difference in the tolerances that are also contributing to the broken tabs.

So, that all said, we have some more tips for those looking to install this weekend. To start, I'll reiterate that for our install procedure, both of these tabs are only utilized temporarily to support the weight of the intercooler while securing the primary mounting bolts. As long as the primary mounting points and lower struts are aligned, the intercooler will install properly. But, to avoid some unnecessary struggling and frustration, we advise to hook in the passenger side tab, and then secure the upper driver's side mounting bolt to hold the intercooler in place while you work on the charge pipes. Hooking the driver's side tab, again, isn't necessary for the complete installation.

Now, if you're working on this step and the cast tab is in the way, you can remove it. With a hacksaw or cutting disc, cut along the solid line in the photo below and remove the portion labeled with an X. Just be careful not to cut into the end tank while removing this tab:

End result will look like this:

This way the tab is out of the equation for a simpler install and so you won't risk breaking the plastic tab on the radiator. Also, since we're advising you to modify this product, I just wanted to give you the heads up that we will still honor lifetime warranty claims for this product even after modification, in case you experience other issues with the intercooler.

Thanks, guys! I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread over the weekend if you have any questions.

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks Nick! Clarifies things greatly and yes tolerances can be a PITA. You mentioned modifications to the design of the units. I’m guessing that the modification to the future units will be what you advised people who are having trouble to do and that the hook on the intercooler will be removed or shortened. However, that’s just speculation on my part. Any chance of letting those of us who have the unit in on what the modification actually is so we don’t feel like we’re missing out on something?

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #118
Thanks Nick! Clarifies things greatly and yes tolerances can be a PITA. You mentioned modifications to the design of the units. I’m guessing that the modification to the future units will be what you advised people who are having trouble to do and that the hook on the intercooler will be removed or shortened. However, that’s just speculation on my part. Any chance of letting those of us who have the unit in on what the modification actually is so we don’t feel like we’re missing out on something?
Great question! We're only adjusting the design of these tabs to be more adjustable, with the rest of the intercooler remaining the same

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #119
Hey Guys,

I just want to give you all a heads up that we will be temporarily out of stock on our intercoolers while we make quality improvements here at our facility. We're planning to resume shipping in about a week, and I'll give this thread another bump once they're back in stock!

Thanks guys!
-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey Guys,

I just want to give you all a heads up that we will be temporarily out of stock on our intercoolers while we make quality improvements here at our facility. We're planning to resume shipping in about a week, and I'll give this thread another bump once they're back in stock!

Thanks guys!
-Nick
Thanks Nick. I've had 1 on order from Ron at Whoosh for a couple weeks now. Also have a catch can coming which I knew was on back-order. Does that mean I'll be getting one of the new IC versions?

Explorer ST Posts