Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In this case, the only changes Ford has made for the performance tune that can't be seen are for unrelated items.

There's 3 parameters changed that change the rate the engine speed limiter cycles.
1 parameter that is normally used for overboost logic that was adjusted (not sure why, both the stock value and the Ford Performance value still leave overboost logic disabled)
1 table that effects dashpot control slightly.

There are 2 transmissions tables altered that are non-visible, but everything adjusted on the transmission side is only for raised or removed torque limits to deal with the higher torque of the system.
Nothing is changed with scheduling, shift pressures (besides the obvious higher torque = higher pressure, but thats stock functionality), or timing.

The "effect" people are feeling is simply the adaptive reset that occurs during flashing.
Yet my explorer never felt like this even brand new. So I don’t think so.

Bugasu

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I should add, technically if you had an older calibration, it would update your transmission tune.
There are 10 base revisions that Ford has made over the years. An early 2020 vs a new 2023 actually has quite a bit different transmission side, including shift points and pressures.

Saying there's no changes, I'm comparing the latest 2022 calibration to the Ford Performance calibration.
If you had a car made before roughly early 22MY (so Oct'ish 2021), you actually do get what Ford's advertising in optimized shift points and the like.. The only thing is, its optimized to what you'd get on a new 22 or 23. (Also technically there's solenoid changes in the valve body from the early to later cars, but those aren't gonna change this).

You also get a fresh adaptive reset, which can definitely change how your car feels compared to even when you drove it brand new.

I understand your car "never felt like this even brand new", but adaptive learning on a new transmission and learning on an already driven on transmission will not necessarily learn the same shift parameters for the same wear. How Ford's adaptive algorithm work is it targets some set times and rates, but not necessarily an optimal setting to produce that time and rate, so when and how it learns it can change things. It's also why most dealerships first reaction to shifting problems is to reset them (because that's what Ford tells them to do in the shop guide!).

Basically what you're getting is the latest transmission calibration and a fresh adaptive learn. Both are positives and will change how the trans feels and operates, but its not like Ford Performance tune put Mustang drag mode shifting parameters in the transmission suddenly to target if you get what I'm saying.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I should add, technically if you had an older calibration, it would update your transmission tune.
There are 10 base revisions that Ford has made over the years. An early 2020 vs a new 2023 actually has quite a bit different transmission side, including shift points and pressures.

Saying there's no changes, I'm comparing the latest 2022 calibration to the Ford Performance calibration.
If you had a car made before roughly early 22MY (so Oct'ish 2021), you actually do get what Ford's advertising in optimized shift points and the like.. The only thing is, its optimized to what you'd get on a new 22 or 23. (Also technically there's solenoid changes in the valve body from the early to later cars, but those aren't gonna change this).

You also get a fresh adaptive reset, which can definitely change how your car feels compared to even when you drove it brand new.

I understand your car "never felt like this even brand new", but adaptive learning on a new transmission and learning on an already driven on transmission will not necessarily learn the same shift parameters for the same wear. How Ford's adaptive algorithm work is it targets some set times and rates, but not necessarily an optimal setting to produce that time and rate, so when and how it learns it can change things. It's also why most dealerships first reaction to shifting problems is to reset them (because that's what Ford tells them to do in the shop guide!).

Basically what you're getting is the latest transmission calibration and a fresh adaptive learn. Both are positives and will change how the trans feels and operates, but its not like Ford Performance tune put Mustang drag mode shifting parameters in the transmission suddenly to target if you get what I'm saying.
Where is your information coming from? Just asking.

Bugasu

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Where is your information coming from? Just asking.
From the files themselves :)
I work for HPTuners. I picked up an Explorer ST recently and was browsing the forum when I came upon this thread, so I thought I'd inject some of what I know.

Reactions
I work for HPTuners. I picked up an Explorer ST recently and was browsing the forum when I came upon this thread, so I thought I'd inject some of what I know.
Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Very cool! Any other good info? 93 octane truly a requirement? Towing really not ideal? No idea if you could know that from what you do and can see but worth an ask as it’s been addressed here before.

Either way, whatever ford did or didn’t do, the tune has made a very noticeable difference in the way my ST performs. Nothing ground breaking but clearly improved.

schmove

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Nice to see Bugasu here, I read a lot of threads in the Focus RS forums that he participated in.

Bugasu

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Very cool! Any other good info? 93 octane truly a requirement? Towing really not ideal? No idea if you could know that from what you do and can see but worth an ask as it’s been addressed here before.

Either way, whatever ford did or didn’t do, the tune has made a very noticeable difference in the way my ST performs. Nothing ground breaking but clearly improved.
So they initialize the Knock Octane Modifier (the primary control over the octane detection) to 1.0 (max spark advance), and they use a more aggressive spark setup than stock.
I think you have enough room to drop to 91, but dropping lower will really drop the performance. It will aggressively pull spark, but I dont think it'll pull back as far as stock can (which enables stock to run on 87). I wouldn't put a lower octane in unless its your only choice in an emergency, and if so, stay out of boost.

As for towing, I think their reasoning is just the higher loads seen in extreme situations (Think a Super Ike Gauntlet from the Fast Lane Trucks). Cooling is usually your enemy towing, and the Explorer ST already has a dismal intercooler (designed for fitting the Police upgrades is my guess).Its likely they recommend against it because added power is added heat and in an extreme towing scenario, I could see issues. If you're towing 2000lbs across the Great Plains though, probably not going to pop up as an issue. They left most of the stock towing functionality and trans tuning in place, so I dont think you'd have any issues with something easy, but if you're towing near capacity and using the new found power to tow, the cooling system probably wont keep up with you.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So they initialize the Knock Octane Modifier (the primary control over the octane detection) to 1.0 (max spark advance), and they use a more aggressive spark setup than stock.
I think you have enough room to drop to 91, but dropping lower will really drop the performance. It will aggressively pull spark, but I dont think it'll pull back as far as stock can (which enables stock to run on 87). I wouldn't put a lower octane in unless its your only choice in an emergency, and if so, stay out of boost.

As for towing, I think their reasoning is just the higher loads seen in extreme situations (Think a Super Ike Gauntlet from the Fast Lane Trucks). Cooling is usually your enemy towing, and the Explorer ST already has a dismal intercooler (designed for fitting the Police upgrades is my guess).Its likely they recommend against it because added power is added heat and in an extreme towing scenario, I could see issues. If you're towing 2000lbs across the Great Plains though, probably not going to pop up as an issue. They left most of the stock towing functionality and trans tuning in place, so I dont think you'd have any issues with something easy, but if you're towing near capacity and using the new found power to tow, the cooling system probably wont keep up with you.
Awesome info, thanks! I mentioned the octane piece cause I had a FP representative tell me dropping down below premium can put a hole in the piston. I have no idea. I’ve gotten use to the premium prices at this point. The performance is worth it.

GOODGUY100

Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST
Any word on when the M-9603-EX30 tue will be available on the 2023 My dealer tried to install it and it would not install on the 23 model

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Any word on when the M-9603-EX30 tue will be available on the 2023 My dealer tried to install it and it would not install on the 23 model
Have you reached out to the FP team? They should know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Just got the tune install by the Ford Dealership. Cost was $90 but I pre loaded the tune file on the tuner.

Outside Temp is 50F
Intake Temp is 69 F (Nice)
ST (Normal Mode) is making 18 PSI Boost at 3/4 throttle. (Stock is about 14 to 16PSI).

Taking it easy. Waiting on the tranny to relearn.
Does the trans go through a relearn when the FP tune is installed? Or is that something you had done separately? I had to have a trans relearn done on my stock ST, curious if it undergoes it again once I get the FP tune.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Does the trans go through a relearn when the FP tune is installed? Or is that something you had done separately? I had to have a trans relearn done on my stock ST, curious if it undergoes it again once I get the FP tune.
Read post 662

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The Dealer said take it easy for the first 2 days.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My new best on FP tune.
1675532506072.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you want it to relearn you driving like a grandpa then sure. If you want it to relearn with some pep in it’s step…then drive it like you plan to drive it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My Livernois instructions says the same:

"several miles and/or days of driving may be required for all adaptive learning to complete. Do not be alarmed at shift quality immediately after installing of tune. It is recommended to do light throttle driving until shift quality has stabilized"

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Those instructions really aren’t applicable to help the vehicle in any way. They’re an attempt to prevent the ignorant public from complaining about shit immediately.

You know, that expectation of instant gratification.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So for those who may have followed instructions for the first time in their lives, would the fix be to reset the transmission tables and drive the vehicle like you should have in the first place?

Reactions
So for those who may have followed instructions for the first time in their lives, would the fix be to reset the transmission tables and drive the vehicle like you should have in the first place?
Basically yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk