Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Definitely has more in it. That was just a quick run to see what it would do. I hope to get a couple more runs in when I have time.
Post them in the dragy thread whenever you do. That thread needs more different tune times.

Blue720

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Will do

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
With full tank of gas and about 60 pounds of groceries in the back... 1B966BF4-3028-419B-88A0-B85BE56CF87D.png

Reactions
Is there a difference between a FenFab high flow intake vs the AFE cai?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have my deal made for a '22 at a dealer about 100 miles away that I've bought quite a few cars from, but can't pick it up until next Tuesday. I'm like a kid 3 days before Christmas here.

I got to thinking I could have the FP tune installed before I pick the car up. Inquired with the dealer, they want $1700! Because it takes "most of a day" to install:rolleyes:. I told them I can do it myself, including opening the box in under 1 hour. Response was this is what it is. Needless to say it will be delivered with the stock tune.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have my deal made for a '22 at a dealer about 100 miles away that I've bought quite a few cars from, but can't pick it up until next Tuesday. I'm like a kid 3 days before Christmas here.

I got to thinking I could have the FP tune installed before I pick the car up. Inquired with the dealer, they want $1700! Because it takes "most of a day" to install:rolleyes:. I told them I can do it myself, including opening the box in under 1 hour. Response was this is what it is. Needless to say it will be delivered with the stock tune.
Jeez. I had a dealer claim an all day job but said $190. I’d just find another dealer if you can. Like others informed me, just call around to some local car shops that do performance stuff and if they’re ASE certified, they can ideally do it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a shop where I used to live (Frederick MD) that can do it. Was hoping to be lazy about it. Since the FP warranty starts at delivery anyway it seemed simple. it also would have saved the internal debate of FP with warranty or ZFG for more power. Buying the part from Lethal cheaper and paying less for install saves quite a bit.

I guess I'll put some miles on and then decide.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just saying - y'all can easily install it yourself.

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Just saying - y'all can easily install it yourself.
The tuned warranty stipulated a certified mechanic do the flash. I assume that its to save the headaches and warranty attempts over a bricked ECU of a failed flash

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Curious for those who else have this installed, did you leave the tuner plugged in and on display? Any reason to do so? Besides the installation process, I didn't play with it at all. Not sure if there are any benefits or additional data it can provide.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I killed my Bertha...... I did just what everyone worries about. I did the ProCal4 performance calibration on my 2022 Explorer ST yesterday. The first steps went fine. Software downloaded to the PC then to the ProCal4. Attached the device to the ST and it downloaded my factory info fine. Uploaded it to Ford Performance and they shot me the performance calibration. Reattached to the ST, got to about block 5 or 6 then the ProCal4 indicated that the upload to the ECM failed. Attempted to retry several times with no success. Now the ProCal4 tool cannot find the ECM and my beloved Bertha appears to be dead.

I contacted Ford Performance Parts via the Techline phone number. The gentleman there was very kind and positive so I at least think that there is a chance I can fix this. So far nothing has worked. I sent him all the info requested and hopefully they can provide me with a fix. He did indicate that do to the holidays it might take until next week to find a resolution. I am concerned in that it appears as though something is draining the battery. I have a battery tender that has been attached since yesterday afternoon and it remains red, as in charging.

I will assume that in a worse case scenario I can purchase a new ECM. I'll take a wild guess that this will cost a ton O' money. The saddest part is that this was the only other thing I was going to do to the ST. Steeda already installed lowering springs and the sway bar. The tune was going to be the last thing I did.

Any words of wisdom, advice or damnations? I would add that I am not without some computer skills. Before I retired I worked at a Harley shop and tuned fuel management systems using laptops to modify fuel maps.

OK. Thanks and be kind.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You tried to reload the stock tune?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That would be too easy. That was my first thought as well however the ProCal4 just says no ECU found and is the key on? So the device cannot load anything as it thinks there is no ECU to connect to.

Thanks for the response though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Curious for those who else have this installed, did you leave the tuner plugged in and on display? Any reason to do so? Besides the installation process, I didn't play with it at all. Not sure if there are any benefits or additional data it can provide.
Take a look at pages 4 and 5 of the installation instructions - they give you a brief summary of functions.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-12655-F.PDF

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah, the thing saying nothing is connected is a sign it’s really “not connected”. Check all the basics as far as cables, battery voltage, etc. if the battery gets too low while flashing, the process will fail and may corrupt the ecu(bricked is commonly used here). Can you spin the engine trying to start it?

Check the main power to the ECU itself. I don’t have the wiring diagram in front of me right now, but there is a “main” power fuse going to the ECU, so it may have blown during the process as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks for your responses. The good news is Bertha lives! A gentleman named Joe with ProCal4 folks called me this afternoon, I think from home, and very easily walked me through a series of steps to fix the problem. Joe was super friendly and his directions were easy to follow. Loaded up the new calibration and everything is working fine. Made my day and now the wife won't get to kill me.

If I had to guess I believe the low battery suggestion is what stopped it the first time. It had been super cold and frozen here so the car had sat in the garage for about 7 to 10 days. Kept a battery charger on it and it smoked right on through the download/upload.

Cannot say enough nice things about Ken from Ford Performance and his positive outlook. He followed through just like he said he would and forwarded my situation to Joe who was also outstanding. Thanks to everyone.

To quote Joe, "you can't kill the ecu".