Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
All it appears Ford is working on the a Tune For the explorer ST.....I think if enough members show interest with inquiries it may help speed up the process.

On May 20, 2021, at 10:54 AM, Techline, FordPerformance (.) <frpp@ford.com> wrote:

Good morning-

Right now, we are in the early stages of developing a calibration for the Explorer ST. I do not have any specs/eta at this time though.

Ford Performance Parts Vehicle Coordinator
Ford Performance Parts Tech LIne
(800) 367-3788​

Reactions
I'm in
Been using 5 star for ours
Be interesting how Ford calibration compares

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sound like the same thing they’ve been telling people for a couple of years now.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Seems odd then, wonder why they would just drag people on like that. Unless they have to test the vehicles for a certain amount of time since the warranty remains in tack.

Reactions
Seems odd then, wonder why they would just drag people on like that. Unless they have to test the vehicles for a certain amount of time since the warranty remains in tack.
to keep people happy, if they said no, we have no interest in upgrading the platform, you would be less inclined to buy another Ford, by saying we are working on it you still hold out hope

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
That is true to extent , But if someone kept telling you they are working on it for 2 years and just kept repeating the same thing, that would make me angrier than just say no 2 years ago.

Reactions
Back in April they told me..

"An Explorer ST power pack is in the consideration phase and there is a lot of talk about offering a kit, however we do not have a concrete answer or if available, timing at this time. There is a lot of interest in a kit for the Explorer ST so offering one is a serious consideration.

I would check with us in a few months and we may have information on the potential offering of a kit."

I'll poke them a bit more in the coming months.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I think the more people that inquire the better.....its a company so they are I'm sure looking to see if a profit can be made,

JgST

Reactions
I heard from Someone the plan all along has been q4 of 21 to get it done by. So will see how close they are to that. Most of us will have gotten other tunes by then.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I wouldn't mine waiting until then, Im still nervous about after market tunes. My friend had a ecoboost mustang that was tuned and denied a warranty claim because the dealership said they could tell even after it was flashed back to stock. From what I understand the Ford Performance tunes when flashed by the ford service center retains the factory and extended ford warranties. Hopefully the more people that inquire to them will make them speed it along.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Email to Ford Performance: (4 days ago)
Last year I was told the tune for the ford explorer st was still in the works.
I was also told that was true for the Ford focus rs, but never came into fruition.
Do we have an idea when the tune will be coming out or if it's even in the works?

Email from Ford Performance: (1 day ago)

The Explorer ST tune is under serious consideration and discussion, however we do not know when the kit will be developed and released for purchase. I would stay tuned to the Ford Performance site for a kit being posted or check back with us periodically to see if we might have an update for you.

Thank You,

Anthony Fodera
Ford Performance Info Center - Supervisor
(800) 367-3788
afodera1@ford.com

www.performanceparts.ford.com

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
The more it sounds like they are just blowing smoke because my reply from them was they were in the early stages of calibration. Just odd they make one for the ranger though.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm with you in wishing that Ford would offer a performance tune, but be sure it wouldn't take advantage of any mods you happened to perform on your vehicle. I'd guesstimate a few hundred $ for maybe 40hp. Hp/Dollar wise, it's not a bad deal, and wouldn't void your warranty. But think about it, that's pretty much what distinguishes the ST from the 365 hp models of the 3.0. So, Ford's marketing department might think it would cannibalize ST sales.

Reactions
The more it sounds like they are just blowing smoke because my reply from them was they were in the early stages of calibration. Just odd they make one for the ranger though.
That's why you/we gotta keep pushing them. Follow up every few weeks. Call, email, et al.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
That's why you/we gotta keep pushing them. Follow up every few weeks. Call, email, et al.
I will, I plan on calling and emailing, makes it seem like more than one person. I also emailed from my wife's email as well.

Reactions
Have owned 7 ECOBOOST vehicles
2011 Ford F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Flex 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Taurus 3.5L ECOBOOST with PP
2016 Explorer Sport3.5L ECOBOOST
2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
2018 Expedition with 3.5L ECOBOOST
2020 Explorer ST with 3.0L ECOBOOST
All tuned with Livernois or 5 Star calibrations
Never any issues with any of them
Calibrations also include transmission recalibrations
76 Years old & lovin it[burnout]

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Have owned 7 ECOBOOST vehicles
2011 Ford F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Flex 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Taurus 3.5L ECOBOOST with PP
2016 Explorer Sport3.5L ECOBOOST
2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
2018 Expedition with 3.5L ECOBOOST
2020 Explorer ST with 3.0L ECOBOOST
All tuned with Livernois or 5 Star calibrations
Never any issues with any of them
Calibrations also include transmission recalibrations
75 Years old & lovin it[burnout]
Nice.

Seems smart and safer to get a new vehicle every 2-3 years when going that route. (y):unsure::cool:

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
I unfortunately can't trade in every 2 years , plus not willing to waste the money I spent on the extended either. For me it a waiting game for Ford to release something

Reactions
Nice.

Seems smart and safer to get a new vehicle every 2-3 years when going that route. (y):unsure::cool:
FYI
I drove the 2011 F150 108,000 miles
Drove the Taurus for 6 years
I disagree
The tune does not shorten vehicle life if it properly executed
5 Star offers an extended warranty for their calibrations
The misconception that a well designed performance calibration will somehow shorten vehicle life is total B.S.
76 Years old & still lovin it[burnout]

Reactions
FYI
I drove the 2011 F150 108,000 miles
Drove the Taurus for 6 years
I disagree
The tune does not shorten vehicle life if it properly executed
5 Star offers an extended warranty for their calibrations
The misconception that a well designed performance calibration will somehow shorten vehicle life is total B.S.
76 Years old & still lovin it[burnout]

It does depend on the vehicle and the tune. But in the event anything else goes wrong on the vehicle, that tune voids any warranty you had, that is the issue. It's not an issue of the tune causing damage. There are too many things that can go wrong with today's vehicles that the average home mechanic cannot fix, at least not easily or at a big expense. So some of us want to keep our vehicles extended warranty in place, that's all.