Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
How are you going to measure one tune versus another other than the power output (I.e., “dyno sheets”)? If it’s safe for a daily driver, being “watered down” shouldn’t be any issue.

Mine has an 8-year, 125,000 mile warranty. I can wait.
Do you need a dyno to know the difference between a weak tune and one that makes more power? I don’t.

Reactions
Do you need a dyno to know the difference between a weak tune and one that makes more power? I don’t.
No, but that is simply how they are advertised. Even if the FP tune comes in with less power than the popular ones out there now, plenty of us probably won't care. That's especially true for those of us that couldn't care less about drag racing.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
No, but that is simply how they are advertised. Even if the FP tune comes in with less power than the popular ones out there now, plenty of us probably won't care. That's especially true for those of us that couldn't care less about drag racing.
And some people prefer sex with condoms and the lights off. Most people that are after performance would rather get all of the power that they are capable of making. Enjoy your watered down tune.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
And some people prefer sex with condoms and the lights off. Most people that are after performance would rather get all of the power that they are capable of making. Enjoy your watered down tune.
I usually don’t reply to such things, but that shits ^^^^ funny! I don’t care who or what you are, it’s funny!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Contacted Ford Performance again about their tune. Because I'm still holding a torch for this FP tune....no idea why at this point. Maybe because I got the extended warranty. But whatever...

FP said, "Last update I have is Ford Performance is aiming to have the kit available by end of Q2."

Which I believe is May. Take this with a grain of salt, of course.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #47
Contacted Ford Performance again about their tune. Because I'm still holding a torch for this FP tune....no idea why at this point. Maybe because I got the extended warranty. But whatever...

FP said, "Last update I have is Ford Performance is aiming to have the kit available by end of Q2."

Which I believe is May. Take this with a grain of salt, of course.
I was told the same thing, by one of the Techs at my dealer. He has a ST and was going to get the tune when it came out, he was told it was a for sure thing though. He said they have to put a lot of testing in them for reliability and any issues that pop for their tech manual. * Also with a grain of salt he said, he heard it will be about a 30-40HP gain, no mention on torque.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
I was told the same thing, by one of the Techs at my dealer. He has a ST and was going to get the tune when it came out, he was told it was a for sure thing though. He said they have to put a lot of testing in them for reliability and any issues that pop for their tech manual. * Also with a grain of salt he said heard it will be about a 30-40HP gain, no mention on torque.
30HP...would it even be worth it? I wonder how much this Tune is going to cost.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #49
30HP...would it even be worth it? I wonder how much this Tune is going to cost.
My guess is $695 like the rest of them. I would take 30-40HP, the biggest benefit you will be 99.9% OK with any warranty claims. Plus your ESP.

Reactions
I'd assume 30-40HP. For lots of people, thats enough of a bump for the cost. Guess we will see.

Reactions
99.9% positive the "tune" will be the "stock" tune from the Bronco Raptor which is said to make 430hp/420 tq

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
99.9% positive the "tune" will be the "stock" tune from the Bronco Raptor which is said to make 430hp/420 tq
Yeah I thought this as well. Which Honestly I will take just to have piece of mind warranty wise.

Reactions
READ MY LIPS......NO NEW..errrr, there will never be a Ford Performance tune. Keep bugging Ford Performance all you want, it just won't happen. You will ask them in May and they'll say "end of Q3". Q3 = Q4 and so on.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #54
READ MY LIPS......NO NEW..errrr, there will never be a Ford Performance tune. Keep bugging Ford Performance all you want, it just won't happen. You will ask them in May and they'll say "end of Q3". Q3 = Q4 and so on.
I never understand certain people , if your not interested, don’t want it, you know it’s not coming. Why bother reading the thread? It will save you ….errrr sound making and we won’t have to waste our time reading your lips.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I never understand certain people , if your not interested, don’t want it, you know it’s not coming. Why bother reading the thread? It will save you ….errrr sound making and we won’t have to waste our time reading your lips.
Agreed. It makes no sense. Usually it’s some insecurity or some emotional connection that they have and feel obligated to comment. IMO

I don’t know why anyone else would comment on something they’re not interested in.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I don’t know why anyone else would comment on something they’re not interested in.
The reason is that they are experienced in the topic and giving advice/expectations based on reality, not hope. They have been there, done that, and likely more than once. The truth of the matter is that there is little-to-zero chance you will ever see a factory tune for more power that is also covered under base warranty.

My comments are based on my 50+ years of engine/tuning experience. NEVER wait for an OEM to sell and warranty a “tune” that adds anything to their baselined engine. You WILL be disappointed. These are the facts of life! Well, of engine performance tuning.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
The reason is that they are experienced in the topic and giving advice/expectations based on reality, not hope. They have been there, done that, and likely more than once. The truth of the matter is that there is little-to-zero chance you will ever see a factory tune for more power that is also covered under base warranty.

My comments are based on my 50+ years of engine/tuning experience. NEVER wait for an OEM to sell and warranty a “tune” that adds anything to their baselined engine. You WILL be disappointed. These are the facts of life! Well, of engine performance tuning.
Everyone here gets it may not come , but ford performance does have tunes for the mustang, focus, ranger, etc. We all know that it will not produce as the same power as other out there. We can sit here and waste our time “hoping” they do. I’m not sure the people commenting are expierenced in ford performance tunes. It took Ford Performance almost 2 years after the ranger was released for the tune to come and few years on the focus. So just because it’s not out right now does not mean it’s coming.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It took them 2.5 years to release a tune and power packs for the second gen coyote in the mustang. The 2nd gen engine debuted in fall of 2014 as a 15, the tune and power packs didn't arrive until spring of 17.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Just an FYI, the stage 2 power pack for the 15-17 mustang came with the larger CAI from the GT350 engine, the larger 87mm throttle body also from the GT350, and a tune from ford racing, required 91 octane or better and only gained 21 hp at the wheels and retails for 8 bills. Aftermarket tuners were pulling 36-37 hp out of the same equipment. Granted gains of about 35-40 is about the most you can expect out of a N/A v8, whereas you can easily get double that out of a boosted engine on a tune alone.

My point is don't expect huge gains out of a ford racing tune, the rumor that it will be the bronco raptor tune at 430 hp sounds about on par for ford racing. The delay is because every tune and performance part/package are all 50 state legal and carb approved. That's good if you live in a state that requires carb approval and you want to remain legal and compliant.

I put the stage 2 pack on my 17 mustang which came with 435 crank hp and they averaged around 380 wheel stock. I also added ford racing sport mufflers, a x-pipe/resonator delete, and long tube catted headers. I took it to local tuner to get the cel turned off from the header install, told him not to change the tune, just turn off the cel so I would pass emissions, Anyway with shell 93 in the tank, on a humid 93 degree day I put down 425 to the tire on a stingy mustang dyno. So with the stage 2 pack, free flowing mufflers, resonator delete and long tube headers, I only gained 45 wheel hp and I spent 4K to get that.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The Bronco Raptor motor isn't just getting a tune relative to our motors. It has different turbos and looks like a different intake manifold.