Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Oli G

Reactions
Reviving an old-ish thread, here's the answer I got from Ford Performance yesterday : why is it taking so long ?

Hello Olivier,

We have just started development on a new Explorer ST tune, however these things do take time, development, and testing, so it is not slated to be released until sometime next year. I would check back with us at the end of quarter 1 2022 and see if we might have a more accurate ETA at that time.

Thank You,

Anthony Fodera
Ford Performance Info Center - Supervisor
(800) 367-3788
afodera1@ford.com

www.performanceparts.ford.com

Reactions
Any answer you get from Ford will be a canned statement they are being told to communicate. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

The ST is the "tuned" version of the 3.0TT.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Any answer you get from Ford will be a canned statement they are being told to communicate. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

The ST is the "tuned" version of the 3.0TT.
I'm thinking there is more of a chance for a performance tune now, since the 2022 King Ranch \ Plantinum come with the 400HP now.

Oli G

Reactions
After sending Ford Performance a second email, here's the answer I got, it seems like it's really being developed as we speak, so I guess I'll wait until next Spring before I buy a tune because I'd rather have a fully warrantied tune with less power gain than a more powerful tune that might cause me warranty problems down the road :

Good Evening Oliver,

As per my previous email, it is in development at this time and we are anticipating a release sometime next year. I would check back with us in the end of 1st quarter next year. We should have more information for you at that time.

Thank You,

Anthony Fodera
(800) 367-3788
afodera1@ford.com

Reactions
I spoke to a gentleman at the Charlotte Auto Fair this past weekend who assured me that, the Ford Performance tune is indeed currently in R&D and should be out "soon". This guy was the one presenting the white/blue track ST we've all seen by now.

More interestingly though, he mentioned that FOX is in the beginning stages of developing a coilover kit for the ST. He didn't act like it was super secret info so, I'm sharing here. Could be a complete joke, but he seemed very serious about it.

Reactions
I'm in
Been using 5 star for ours
Be interesting how Ford calibration compares
Probably no different.. 5* is a canned tune all star... Ford's tune will be canned as well and give minimal power.. Just enough to feel as if you switched from Normal to Sport mode, a 2nd time. Pointless IMHO.

Reactions
After sending Ford Performance a second email, here's the answer I got, it seems like it's really being developed as we speak, so I guess I'll wait until next Spring before I buy a tune because I'd rather have a fully warrantied tune with less power gain than a more powerful tune that might cause me warranty problems down the road :

Good Evening Oliver,

As per my previous email, it is in development at this time and we are anticipating a release sometime next year. I would check back with us in the end of 1st quarter next year. We should have more information for you at that time.

Thank You,

Anthony Fodera
(800) 367-3788
afodera1@ford.com

How would it cause warranty problems? HaHa.

Oli G

Reactions
How would it cause warranty problems? HaHa.
Any tune, other the FPP, can potentially cause a warranty claim to be denied, everyone knows that...
Probably no different.. 5* is a canned tune all star... Ford's tune will be canned as well and give minimal power.. Just enough to feel as if you switched from Normal to Sport mode, a 2nd time. Pointless IMHO.[/QUOTE
How is it pointless ? If the tune can give the engine another 10-12% more power while keeping the factory warranty, I don't see how this is pointless...

Reactions
Any tune, other the FPP, can potentially cause a warranty claim to be denied, everyone knows that...
Meh... Magnuson-Moss Act.. Everybody knows that! Take your vehicle to a Ford Performance dealer and be done with it. As for the 5* canned tune, you surely can feel the difference.. All the way to the Transmission as it feels it will fall out, every shift.. It's just a good name brand of a tune that I would run. As for the Ford Performance Tune, you won't even be near 10-12% and it will feel nothing more than when you put the vehicle in current Sport Mode. It's a money tactic and isn't worth it.

Reactions
Try out JDM Engineering for a tune. They just put out a stage 1 which is insanely crazy!!
They're out in NJ. Real nice guys and second to none when it comes to customer service!
Tks.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
as somone has alredy said. the bumping of the power in the platinum and king ranch kind of takes the ST out of the ST.

maybe I am wrong but any performance should be in the "latest flash" you would get at the dealership. especially if you got an ST. or just cost you the shop time for the tech to flash it.

it just seems kind of shitty to buy a new performance tune when you specifically bought the performance model of anything.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
as somone has alredy said. the bumping of the power in the platinum and king ranch kind of takes the ST out of the ST.
Disagree. Those are top-of-the-line trims as well and should get max power. The ST is still the ST in looks, and suspension changes.

honestly, with the advent of the lame 3 bolt subframe starting MY2021, I doubt Ford Performance is going to come out with a tune for an ST that is going to result in a bunch of rear drivetrain disasters.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Don’t see why anyone would even want a watered down tune. Ford won’t make the tune aggressive enough to compete with other tuners. Find a ford dealership with a service department that is a little more aftermarket friendly. Then do what you want and enjoy your ST. Buy quality parts and don’t beat on your car or have half assed work done.

Reactions

maybe I am wrong but any performance should be in the "latest flash" you would get at the dealership. especially if you got an ST. or just cost you the shop time for the tech to flash it.

it just seems kind of shitty to buy a new performance tune when you specifically bought the performance model of anything.
The Platinum and KR are higher trims... The ST still has a different tuned suspension, better brake options, higher final gear ratio, sportier seats and steering wheel. I mean its still a Sport version Explorer overall.

No different than a base Camaro with the 1LE Package or the Mustang with the Performance Package. Sportier better handling cars with same exact power as the more expensive premiums.

Ramairgt1

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
More interestingly though, he mentioned that FOX is in the beginning stages of developing a coilover kit for the ST. He didn't act like it was super secret info so, I'm sharing here. Could be a complete joke, but he seemed very serious about it.
I have a few friends at Fox. I’ll see if that statement is true or not.

Reactions
Don’t see why anyone would even want a watered down tune. Ford won’t make the tune aggressive enough to compete with other tuners. Find a ford dealership with a service department that is a little more aftermarket friendly. Then do what you want and enjoy your ST. Buy quality parts and don’t beat on your car or have half assed work done.
Because not everyone wants to "compete" or base the performance of their vehicle purely on a dyno sheet. Plenty of us want to enjoy the vehicle as a daily-driver, tinker with it a bit, and be content that a tune will be compatible with the factory warranty.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Because not everyone wants to "compete" or base the performance of their vehicle purely on a dyno sheet. Plenty of us want to enjoy the vehicle as a daily-driver, tinker with it a bit, and be content that a tune will be compatible with the factory warranty.
1. You’re using my use of the word “compete” out of context.
2. Who is basing performance solely on a dyno sheet?
3. 90%(guesstimate) of owners here are daily drivers.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
By the time Ford drops a tune you won’t have a warranty. lol

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Agreed.

Reactions
1. You’re using my use of the word “compete” out of context.
2. Who is basing performance solely on a dyno sheet?
3. 90%(guesstimate) of owners here are daily drivers.
How are you going to measure one tune versus another other than the power output (I.e., “dyno sheets”)? If it’s safe for a daily driver, being “watered down” shouldn’t be any issue.

By the time Ford drops a tune you won’t have a warranty. lol
Mine has an 8-year, 125,000 mile warranty. I can wait.