Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Everyone here gets it may not come , but ford performance does have tunes for the mustang, focus, ranger, etc. We all know that it will not produce as the same power as other out there. We can sit here and waste our time “hoping” they do. I’m not sure the people commenting are expierenced in ford performance tunes. It took Ford Performance almost 2 years after the ranger was released for the tune to come and few years on the focus. So just because it’s not out right now does not mean it’s coming.
Are you sure the Focus has FP tune? The Focus RS certainly doesn’t. Mustangs are a different story. They are the only car Ford sells now. There’s a reason for that…

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #63
Just an FYI, the stage 2 power pack for the 15-17 mustang came with the larger CAI from the GT350 engine, the larger 87mm throttle body also from the GT350, and a tune from ford racing, required 91 octane or better and only gained 21 hp at the wheels and retails for 8 bills. Aftermarket tuners were pulling 36-37 hp out of the same equipment. Granted gains of about 35-40 is about the most you can expect out of a N/A v8, whereas you can easily get double that out of a boosted engine on a tune alone.

My point is don't expect huge gains out of a ford racing tune, the rumor that it will be the bronco raptor tune at 430 hp sounds about on par for ford racing. The delay is because every tune and performance part/package are all 50 state legal and carb approved. That's good if you live in a state that requires carb approval and you want to remain legal and compliant.

I put the stage 2 pack on my 17 mustang which came with 435 crank hp and they averaged around 380 wheel stock. I also added ford racing sport mufflers, a x-pipe/resonator delete, and long tube catted headers. I took it to local tuner to get the cel turned off from the header install, told him not to change the tune, just turn off the cel so I would pass emissions, Anyway with shell 93 in the tank, on a humid 93 degree day I put down 425 to the tire on a stingy mustang dyno. So with the stage 2 pack, free flowing mufflers, resonator delete and long tube headers, I only gained 45 wheel hp and I spent 4K to get that.
Are you sure the Focus has FP tune? The Focus RS certainly doesn’t. Mustangs are a different story. They are the only car Ford sells now. There’s a reason for that…
CF9BFC63-C69F-4AB1-A5FE-BA438CE0AD64.png

Reactions
I never understand certain people , if your not interested, don’t want it, you know it’s not coming. Why bother reading the thread? It will save you ….errrr sound making and we won’t have to waste our time reading your lips.
because rehashing this topic and speculating on how HP numbers is ridiculous. Have fun waiting.

Reactions
The Bronco Raptor motor isn't just getting a tune relative to our motors. It has different turbos and looks like a different intake manifold.
Same turbo size, same compressor, different blades with the "new" anti lag system. Sounds to me like they just re-designed the blades but didnt change them, should be same amount of blades.

Pretty sure the change was mainly on the elimination of boost lag and not the actual power which is where the tune will make the difference

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #68
Going to bring this back up, was at the dealer today and the Tech asked if I was going to get the new tune this summer? I kind of gave him a dumb founded look.....He then said the ford performance rep they deal with stated the Explorer ST tune was finalized and is slated to be released mid summer. Has any one heard anything on this? I have yet to take the time to call Ford Performance to see if they say the same.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Going to bring this back up, was at the dealer today and the Tech asked if I was going to get the new tune this summer? I kind of gave him a dumb founded look.....He then said the ford performance rep they deal with stated the Explorer ST tune was finalized and is slated to be released mid summer. Has any one heard anything on this? I have yet to take the time to call Ford Performance to see if they say the same.
Haven’t heard anything. Was the tech able to provide you with any further info or evidence of this happening? Not sure if there was some form of documentation or if it was just talk by the ford performance team. I’ll believe it when I see it but I’m intrigued.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #70
Haven’t heard anything. Was the tech able to provide you with any further info or evidence of this happening? Not sure if there was some form of documentation or if it was just talk by the ford performance team. I’ll believe it when I see it but I’m intrigued.
Not really much other than what I just said, kind of just caught me off guard because I kind of forgot about it. When I get a few min I may try calling or see if ford performance has a online chat to see what they say...If they do say something similar maybe it will happen.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Not really much other than what I just said, kind of just caught me off guard because I kind of forgot about it. When I get a few min I may try calling or see if ford performance has a online chat to see what they say...If they do say something similar maybe it will happen.
Would be interested on what you find our from Ford Performance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Would be interesting to see how it compares to the best (ZFG).

Reactions
Would be interesting to see how it compares to the best (ZFG).
It wont be nearly as customized as ZFG but it'll be safe and covered under warranty which is the appeal I think haha. Probably won't touch the transmission too much either.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
A Ford Performance rep told me end of Q3 or beginning Q4 of 2022 a performance package was going to be released for the Explorer ST.

Reactions
Would be interested on what you find our from Ford Performance.
From Ford on 06May2022:

"Unfortunately they have been pushed back a bit. Emissions changes for this year has made this a trickier for the engineering team so they are needing more time to get the tune where they want it. The latest ETA I have now is Fall of this year"

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It wont be nearly as customized as ZFG but it'll be safe and covered under warranty which is the appeal I think haha. Probably won't touch the transmission too much either.
Agreed, I could care less about this tune. We already have ZFG, PBD and 5 Star who all do amazing work with the ST.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just chatted with Ford Performance tech team, see below.

Anthony
at 14:04, Jun 6:
Last ETA we have seen on availability puts the kit launching around mid-summer. I do not have specifics available to share at this time. I would anticipate it being a tune specifically. Specific performance numbers have not been released as of yet.

Reactions
It's obvious that everyone has their own wish list when it comes to customizing cars and that differs from person to person. If you are not interested in a particular thread, do read or comment on it.

There are some pretty significant contributors to this forum with tons of knowledge, then there are those looking to antagonize. Let's have fun!
Who's antagonizing in this thread so far? Questions are being answered and opinions are being presented.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #80
Just chatted with Ford Performance tech team, see below.

Anthony
at 14:04, Jun 6:
Last ETA we have seen on availability puts the kit launching around mid-summer. I do not have specifics available to share at this time. I would anticipate it being a tune specifically. Specific performance numbers have not been released as of yet.
That’s spot on with what the Ford tech told me….so maybe we will see something in a few months.