Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just got the tune install by the Ford Dealership. Cost was $90 but I pre loaded the tune file on the tuner.

Outside Temp is 50F
Intake Temp is 69 F (Nice)
ST (Normal Mode) is making 18 PSI Boost at 3/4 throttle. (Stock is about 14 to 16PSI).

Taking it easy. Waiting on the tranny to relearn.
Got a quote from a ASE certified shop, initially $250. I responded back and said if I prep the tune, would that help. Told me $150. That’s their minimum fee to charge for service. I’m content with that. I said I could do the whole prep thing. Instructions seem pretty straightforward. So did you just backup and load the FP tune onto the device so all the dealer had to do was press program?

I am guessing it shouldn’t matter warranty wise if I prep the tune? As long as the final job is installed by dealer/certified tech.

Spins4

Reactions
Vehicle
2015 GTR, 2022 Explorer ST (on order)
Got a quote from a ASE certified shop, initially $250. I responded back and said if I prep the tune, would that help. Told me $150. That’s their minimum fee to charge for service. I’m content with that. I said I could do the whole prep thing. Instructions seem pretty straightforward. So did you just backup and load the FP tune onto the device so all the dealer had to do was press program?

I am guessing it shouldn’t matter warranty wise if I prep the tune? As long as the final job is installed by dealer/certified tech.
That’s exactly what I did. I brought my laptop with the ProCal program already installed on the laptop and the ProCal 4 ‘tool’ updates complete with the stock calibration saved. I had mine done at the dealership for $125. The tech thanked me for bringing my laptop and completing the ‘pre- work’.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Confirmed the FP tune is designed to handle ALL octanes. Performance of the tune calibrations are modulated by the octane. The engineers I spoke to were surprised & confused by the information about the risk of holes in pistons. Installing it yourself does not void any warranty. If an issue occurred they would need to show actual cause that the installation of the tune was incorrect in some way and directly related to the issue.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Confirmed the FP tune is designed to handle ALL octanes. Performance of the tune calibrations are modulated by the octane. The engineers I spoke to were surprised & confused by the information about the risk of holes in pistons. Installing it yourself does not void any warranty. If an issue occurred they would need to show actual cause that the installation of the tune was incorrect in some way and directly related to the issue.
Great info thanks! Really helpful to hear. I would say I hope they fix the wording but I doubt they will. It honestly makes sense that they would make it like an auto octane tune to account for people making mistakes and using 87 octane for example.

I think just the whole part of installing it yourself vs having a dealer/ASE do it is the latter you maintain the 3 year/36k warranty that comes with the tune. If you do it yourself, you forgo that “extra warranty”. But yeah like all tune, they have to specifically prove it causes issues. That’s how I read it and have been told at least.
Thanks again for that info though.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
For today's entertainment value, I had spoken with my service rep at local dealer (where my steed has been sitting for 116 days and counting waiting on a rear axle cover due to broken bolt) about installing the Ford Performance Tune. I get it's not panacea HP wise and I'm leering of lurking outside my extended warranty hence no high end tune (for now) ... that and I wanna check out the difference in shift points and MPG. I can get it for 599 online and take it to them but they wanna bilk me for 1. retail $899 plus (get this) an entire DAY of labor. Total 1500 ish plus tax. They had pawned me off on the accessories department where the 20 something year old girl made such absurd remarks as “I like to charge a full day labor just to be safe” and “ unfortunately we can’t control the computer”. Uh, ok.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For today's entertainment value, I had spoken with my service rep at local dealer (where my steed has been sitting for 116 days and counting waiting on a rear axle cover due to broken bolt) about installing the Ford Performance Tune. I get it's not panacea HP wise and I'm leering of lurking outside my extended warranty hence no high end tune (for now) ... that and I wanna check out the difference in shift points and MPG. I can get it for 599 online and take it to them but they wanna bilk me for 1. retail $899 plus (get this) an entire DAY of labor. Total 1500 ish plus tax. They had pawned me off on the accessories department where the 20 something year old girl made such absurd remarks as “I like to charge a full day labor just to be safe” and “ unfortunately we can’t control the computer”. Uh, ok.
Yeah I had a dealer claim they needed my vehicle all day as well. Kinda lost interest after that point especially since they were 45 min away. Absolutely no reason you need my car to sit there for 8 hrs for you to do a 30 min tune. Oh, and they wanted me to come prep’d with the tuner ready to go.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Yeah I had a dealer claim they needed my vehicle all day as well. Kinda lost interest after that point especially since they were 45 min away. Absolutely no reason you need my car to sit there for 8 hrs for you to do a 30 min tune. Oh, and they wanted me to come prep’d with the tuner ready to go.
You seem like one of the most knowledgable folks on here, so I'll ask the question - do you know if the FP tune will negate the Ford Premium Care ESP warranty? Have a 7 year, 100k and both Ford Protect and Ford Performance keep directing me to one another to get a definitive answer. TYSM!

Reactions
You seem like one of the most knowledgable folks on here, so I'll ask the question - do you know if the FP tune will negate the Ford Premium Care ESP warranty? Have a 7 year, 100k and both Ford Protect and Ford Performance keep directing me to one another to get a definitive answer. TYSM!
Not trying to be that dude but that was talked a page or two back as well as previous pages before.

Short answer is, if they find the tune liable for a problem, they will not cover a dime. If its NOT tune related, warranty will fix whatever the issue is. No different than any tune.

The adv. FP tune has is the 3/36 warranty IF the issue is tune related, they will cover it during that time line. After that, like any other tune, you're on your own

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
thanks but there are certainly much more knowledgeable folks than me here. But I try to do my research and learn from everyone. Not surprised you’re getting the run around.

I would think it wouldn’t negate it. Just like it doesn’t negate the factory 3/36k mile warranty. But you’re only gonna be protected from the FP tune warranty for 3/36k. So if anything happens after, whether you have that extended warranty or not, you’re liable. Again, it has be exactly proven that a tune was the cause.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not trying to be that dude but that was talked a page or two back as well as previous pages before.

Short answer is, if they find the tune liable for a problem, they will not cover a dime. If its NOT tune related, warranty will fix whatever the issue is. No different than any tune.

The adv. FP tune has is the 3/36 warranty IF the issue is tune related, they will cover it during that time line. After that, like any other tune, you're on your own
Exactly this.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST

It’s ok. I did try readying all 27 pages and couldn’t find it. Apols. Doing my level best. Cheers and thanks.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

And the 3/36 starts from when the vehicle was first sold.

Reactions
As long as the Ford Performance tune was installed at a Ford Dealership.. a Ford Extended Service Plan will still be valid with the FP tune.

This is as per my Business Manager who sells both aftermarket and Ford warranties and my Ford Warranty rep that was actually at the dealership today.

Reactions
And the 3/36 starts from when the vehicle was first sold.
Sold or first in-service

As long as the Ford Performance tune was installed at a Ford Dealership.. a Ford Extended Service Plan will still be valid with the FP tune.

This is as per my Business Manager who sells both aftermarket and Ford warranties and my Ford Warranty rep that was actually at the dealership today.
Ford Dealership or ASE/Red Seal mechanic

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m not sure why there’s so much debate/discussion on something stated in black&white with the product. Here is a screen shot stating quite plainly that the warranty period is from the in-service date. 700A9A63-4D2E-4CEB-8218-C7DD1D8EAE0C.jpeg

RandomPilot

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You spoke with the service manager at Pinnacle? I only work with their sales since I am in Louisville, but they're one of the best, most aggressively priced dealers I have found. When I bought my 2020 ST from them, it was 9k off MSRP, no negotiations or anything, that was just the price as it sat on the showroom floor. Granted August 2020 was a much different car market than today lol.

They let me buy my 22 F150 Lariat off the lot using x-plan though. This was at the beginning of Sept, arguably the peak of all of these car shenanigans
I did. I went to get the tune done there on Tuesday and the tech refused to do it because he “didn’t want to ruin a 60,000 vehicle”

I spoke with him and showed him the instructions and how simple it is and he still refused to do it.

I then spoke with the service manager, had a minor Karen moment because I was also there to have a tire replaced under the wheel and tire warranty and they neglected to order the tire for the appointment and the tech refusing to install the tune, but I digress. The service manager said that if I did the install, I’d have the same warranty coverage as if they did it so I shouldn’t worry.

I’ll be going to Paul Miller from here on out after the entire experience, the tech rolling his eyes at me as I handed him the instructions was enough for me.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The service manager said that if I did the install, I’d have the same warranty coverage as if they did it so I shouldn’t worry.
I wish that were the case lol

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I did. I went to get the tune done there on Tuesday and the tech refused to do it because he “didn’t want to ruin a 60,000 vehicle”

I spoke with him and showed him the instructions and how simple it is and he still refused to do it.

I then spoke with the service manager, had a minor Karen moment because I was also there to have a tire replaced under the wheel and tire warranty and they neglected to order the tire for the appointment and the tech refusing to install the tune, but I digress. The service manager said that if I did the install, I’d have the same warranty coverage as if they did it so I shouldn’t worry.

I’ll be going to Paul Miller from here on out after the entire experience, the tech rolling his eyes at me as I handed him the instructions was enough for me.
That sucks, I hate shitty service departments. Tri-County Ford in Buckner KY is pretty shitty too. A long time ago (probably 8 years ago) I had a buddy that worked at the service department for Paul Miller, but hell, I haven't kept up with the guy to know if he even still works there. BUT it does seem to also be a pretty good dealer.

Good luck. I guess stick to Pinnacle for sales only lol

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
AutoNation Ford Westlake just outside Cleveland OH is shitty also. they were good 20 years ago, but not anymore. I take my vehicles a half mile away from them to Nick Mayer Lincoln for all service and recalls.