Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

htperry

Reactions
I talked with my dealer prior to buying the FP tune from Steeda. They agreed to install it at no charge. The service manager said it would not impact my warranty. I have a good relationship with my dealer. They sell and maintain a lot of the FP vehicles. The SM said they have installed the FP tunes on other vehicles, but my car would be the first ST. I think they were curious the outcome.

It was installed today, with no issues. I had already installed the computer software to update the programmer, backed up the stock tune and all they had to do was connect the programmer - press send, give me a $0 invoice indicating they installed it. It was trouble free.

My primary consideration was with shift improvement. The shifting is good, throttle more responsive and noticeably improved low-end torque.

I'm satisfied.

Reactions
I talked with my dealer prior to buying the FP tune from Steeda. They agreed to install it at no charge. The service manager said it would not impact my warranty. I have a good relationship with my dealer. They sell and maintain a lot of the FP vehicles. The SM said they have installed the FP tunes on other vehicles, but my car would be the first ST. I think they were curious the outcome.

It was installed today, with no issues. I had already installed the computer software to update the programmer, backed up the stock tune and all they had to do was connect the programmer - press send, give me a $0 invoice indicating they installed it. It was trouble free.

My primary consideration was with shift improvement. The shifting is good, throttle more responsive and noticeably improved low-end torque.

I'm satisfied.
Nice to see some dealers taking this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad I’m hearing more stories about users prepping the tune and then just taking it to the dealer/shop to actually press the install button. Kinda had me worried initially when I was told to do this, but seems to be pretty common at this point.

HAMMER

Reactions
Does anyone have any dragy or track times with this tune?

HAMMER

Reactions
I’ve read every post, no one who has the FP tune has posted any numbers

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Working my way through it right now - downloading the stock tune - I'd guess it's most of 20 minutes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I installed the Performance tune myself. Loading the new tune into the vehicle was much quicker than downloading the stock tune. Only had time to take a quick spin. I'm smiling.

Reactions
I installed the Performance tune myself. Loading the new tune into the vehicle was much quicker than downloading the stock tune. Only had time to take a quick spin. I'm smiling.
Fake smile or genuine. Smirk, ear to ear.. this is a good gauge.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Fake smile or genuine. Smirk, ear to ear.. this is a good gauge.
Genuinely pleased. Did a couple hard accelerations - butt dyno gives 2 thumbs up. Where I live, steady traffic, winding hilly roads, so not easy to do 0-60 dragys. I have a couple that indicate 5.30-ish stock. I'll try to get some in the next few days. Definitely more lift or weight shifting backward upon initial acceleration. Once I hit 50 on the speedo it seemed like I was at 75 in a blink. Better behavior in sport mode.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, just about two days with the tune. And so far very happy! Here is my non technical impressions. This thing jumps even more now. I haven’t driven it that many miles yet but in the limited miles I have, very impressed. Taking off it just surges. It kinda surprised me. Definitely has that increased low end power now. Front end definitely lifts up more and you feel the power increase. I haven’t even touched sport mode yet. Letting things get adapted but I’m sure that’ll be even more impressive. I think I may have even gotten a little more of a “weeeee” from my two kids in the back lol.

It definitely made a fun car more fun so I’m 100% satisfied. Will post back when i do some more spirited driving without the kids.

Reactions
UGGGGHHHHHH see.. like this makes me want it... but then it makes me thinking.. if this mild tune is this noticeable.. what could I be missing by skipping on the more custom ZFG hahahaaaaaaa

Dont worry everyone, I'm not starting the debate again, just venting here because my wife won't listen to me.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
UGGGGHHHHHH see.. like this makes me want it... but then it makes me thinking.. if this mild tune is this noticeable.. what could I be missing by skipping on the more custom ZFG hahahaaaaaaa

Dont worry everyone, I'm not starting the debate again, just venting here because my wife won't listen to me.
Lol I hear you. Honestly that was one of my first thoughts. Like damn, I can’t imagine how the Zfg tune is. In a couple years once my warranty concerns are over, I very well may switch to Zfg. But for now, I can rest easy and drive the hell out of my ST.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST

Don't worry everyone, I'm not starting the debate again, just venting here because my wife won't listen to me.
I know how you feel. I put a stage 2 power pack on my mustang and ford claims a 40 ft lb increase in tq at 1500. To me it feels like more than that. I actually had to relearn how to drive the car when pulling out from a light. My car has a six speed manual and I have to give it less throttle and at a lower rpm. I have others tell me to get a custom tune for the stang as I would get a lot more power out of it, but it's a convertible and a cruiser so I don't need every last hp. It is a lot more fun to drive tho.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Someone mentioned here or in another thread about how eco drives with the FP tune. It definitely still drives as you’d expect eco to drive but it’s actually more quick to ramp up and give you power. I consider this a good thing. So when you want to get that quick burst, it’s easy to get in eco. But otherwise like the stock tuning, it encourages less spirited driving.

Also, sport is amazing as expected. Boosted launch had my wheels chirping. First time that has happened. Will have to figure out how to manage that. As I felt it cut power for a split second. I think I may need to disable traction.

Otherwise extremely happy with my decision here and absolutely no regrets. Only negative is my gas mileage has completely tanked. 100% worth it though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Someone mentioned here or in another thread about how eco drives with the FP tune. It definitely still drives as you’d expect eco to drive but it’s actually more quick to ramp up and give you power. I consider this a good thing. So when you want to get that quick burst, it’s easy to get in eco. But otherwise like the stock tuning, it encourages less spirited driving.

Also, sport is amazing as expected. Boosted launch had my wheels chirping. First time that has happened. Will have to figure out how to manage that. As I felt it cut power for a split second. I think I may need to disable traction.

Otherwise extremely happy with my decision here and absolutely no regrets. Only negative is my gas mileage has completely tanked. 100% worth it though.
Yup - I did a launch Friday (on 156 - I know you're local) - all 4 tires squealed...that's never happened before.

Blue720

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Installed mine today. Definitely notice the difference. Very smooth in the Highway. 60-90 is sneaky quick. I’m happy with it. Hope to do a draggy run to compare to stock this week.

Explorer ST Posts