Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dashcam install (heavy pics)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I tried this and failed few times now.
I could not even get one side out to see how it is looking inside. The location itself is a bit inaccessible.

It feels like I'm going to break the trim pry tool before the rubber bellows and the white flanged seat comes out. Any tips/pointers, how to proceed?
I also was afraid I’d break something. So, I exited the cable on the right of the rubber boot and used plenty of clear silicone sealant. You can see the cable indicated by the red arrow. So far, no issues.

PXL_20230603_221148456_Original.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm a bit worried about water leakage in case I make a wrong opening.

I have done it in my previous car, fishing out the cable through the rubber tube. That is the cleanest solution. But I guess, anything that hides the wires (without pinching them) will do as well.

. So far, no issues.
Will try that idea.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
I’ve used that tool several times over the years. It cut down my install times drastically. Best thing since pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was able to do it yesterday with the help of some zip ties. Successfully moved the cable inside the rubber tube, without breaking anything. I had to poke a hole in the end of the rubber tube, but it's not visible once everything is put back together.

Unfortunately I have only limited pictures (under low light conditions, I was using the phone flash light to work and then used the same phone to take pictures). I will organize whatever I have and share then in my build thread.

Close to two hours, just to hide a dangling cable, but I'm a happier person now. I'm pretty sure I can do it in less an hour now.

Here are the details

Last edited: