Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dashcam install (heavy pics)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thinkware uses micro USB on my Q800Pro

I bought their OBDII power tap so no need to buy fuse taps, very clean easy to pull out if vehicle sold.
Is this similar to what you use? OBD2 OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera, Ssontong OBD to Mini USB OBDII Adapter Hardwire Charger Cable 24 Hours Surveillance and Acc Two Mode with Switch Button(Mini USB Port) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXTJK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZBH22SAG313NXQH0D95N
Do you have to flip the switch each time you get out of the car or do you just leave it on position?

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Is this similar to what you use? OBD2 OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera, Ssontong OBD to Mini USB OBDII Adapter Hardwire Charger Cable 24 Hours Surveillance and Acc Two Mode with Switch Button(Mini USB Port) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXTJK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZBH22SAG313NXQH0D95N
Do you have to flip the switch each time you get out of the car or do you just leave it on position?
I have used that one and but my install used this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Echomaster-H...=1639064765&sprefix=Thinkware+,aps,248&sr=8-4

Neither requires you to flip a switch, its basically hardwired without a fuse tap.

Reactions
Fusetaps are easy in the Explorer. Ford populated the fusebox with "Extra/spare" fuses. Routing power is crazy simple in these.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What size fuse a taps do I need? I bought a variety pack on Amazon and they’re too big.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Search for "micro 2 fuse tap". It's convenient if the taps come with fuses of an appropriate amperage for your needs, otherwise you need those too.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Search for "micro 2 fuse tap". It's convenient if the taps come with fuses of an appropriate amperage for your needs, otherwise you need those too.
Okay thanks. That confirms my research last night. Won’t I just pop in the fuse that I’m taking out to put in the fuse tap, and then put that same fuse back into the slots in the fuse tap?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There are two fuse slots on the tap. One for the existing fuse, and one for the tap. Of course, if you are tapping an unused slot with fuse, you can use that fuse for the tap line. The tap instructions should tell you which slot is for which.

61kDJBozr+L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There are two fuse slots on the tap. One for the existing fuse, and one for the tap. Of course, if you are tapping an unused slot with fuse, you can use that fuse for the tap line. The tap instructions should tell you which slot is for which.

View attachment 8973
Ohhhh I see. I guess I didn’t realize that I still need to use a fuse for the new connection I’m making. So first fuse will be the original fuse, and the other will be a fuse for the connection I’m making with my dash cam.

EDIT: actually, the # 29 and 37 fuses the OP used, they appear to be unused fuses. So all I have to do is pop out the fuse, insert the fuse tap, and then just replace that fuse I took out. That will be the fuse for the dash cam. Is that right?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
EDIT: actually, the # 29 and 37 fuses the OP used, they appear to be unused fuses. So all I have to do is pop out the fuse, insert the fuse tap, and then just replace that fuse I took out. That will be the fuse for the dash cam. Is that right?
You could but 15A and 20A fuses are too high for a dash cam. You aren't protecting anything with those values. I would get some 5A fuses.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You could but 15A and 20A fuses are too high for a dash cam. You aren't protecting anything with those values. I would get some 5A fuses.
Okay great, I really appreciate your help. Never attempted an install like this before. So just because there is currently 15a and 20a fuses in the spots that I’m going to install the fuse tap, I can just switch those fuses to 5a and remove the 15/20a fuses altogether because those are unused fuse ports by the car?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Wife out of town for work, mother in law had the kids. Took a quick stab at this and got my garmin dash cam and parking mode working thanks to everyone’s awesome help!

only had two issues. One, had everything hooked up but still couldn’t draw power. Long story short, if I remember correctly from all my trouble shooting steps, it wasn’t until I flipped the fuses to the other slot on both of the tap a fuses that I got power. Weird.

I used the ground Op suggested. But when I tried loosening the bolt, the washer seemed attached to the bolt. So then I tried placing the ground underneath the washer but that didn’t worked. Guessing cause the other side was up against plastic? Or maybe it would of worked if tried that after I fixed my issue in step one.

either way, it’s working! I just need to figure out a permanent connection for the ground. Right now the ground connection is just snapped onto the bolt itself.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Re: ground. In the driver's side footwell, underneath fusebox, there is already a grounding bolt on the side wall. Access is limited so you just want to loosen it enough to fit a spade terminal in there. It's right behind the big wire loom. In the pics below, the black wire with yellow terminal is my dash cam ground.

D9488DEF-9B54-4883-AD8A-8187E6081AFB.jpeg DBD07DA8-8EA4-4B1E-B4DD-6BCDFA166EAF.jpeg

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Re: ground. In the driver's side footwell, underneath fusebox, there is already a grounding bolt on the side wall. Access is limited so you just want to loosen it enough to fit a spade terminal in there. It's right behind the big wire loom. In the pics below, the black wire with yellow terminal is my dash cam ground.

View attachment 9014 View attachment 9015
Perfect that’s exactly what I was looking for! I didn’t know the terminology, but yes my connector is a spade terminal. I will fix mine asap! Thanks.

irvingpop

Reactions
Thank you for this post, it was super helpful in my own installation of a Rexing V5 dashcam in my 2020 ST!

One note for future travelers: the Rexing "Smart Hardwire Kit" supplies a "Mini" style fuse tap, which won't work. Many of the fuse taps on Amazon seem to have terrible reviews and complaints they didn't fit. I found and used this kit [Amazon link] and it fit well, and was plug-and-play installation. Would recommend it.

Happy dashcamming, y'all!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST - Atlas Blue
Love the write up! I am planning to install a dashcam into my 2022 this weekend. I do have one question though...do you have any issues with the battery? Most new dashcams have voltage meters so I know it won't be too much of an issue but just wanted to see if it was causing any long term issues for those that have had a camera installed for a while.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to throw some more info out there. I am in the process of moving my Blackvue 900S dual dashcam into My explorer. I also have a dual battery backup so the dashcam runs for 40 hours while the car is off without discharging the car battery. I found there is tons of space under the passenger seat to fit two pretty large battery packs. Battery pack draws 9amps when charging so it is fast but also needs good wiring.

If you don't want a battery, I think blackvue makes a magic battery module that will run your dashcam as long as it can until the car battery starts to get close to not being able to start your car then it shuts of the power drain. I have found a few occasions where I was glad mine was running over the weekend when parked.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST - Atlas Blue
Great, thanks @Cruising68 for the insight. I am installing the Thinkware U1000 2 channel (Front and Rear) with Radar sensor. I didn't get the battery pack yet. I will probably run it for a bit to see how long it will run before it shuts down to prevent the battery from having enough power to not start. If I find that it doesn't provide enough time, then I will invest in the external battery pack.

Reactions
Haven't had an issue with my Blackvue 900x. It has the built in voltage monitor.