Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

R2D2's 2022 ST - KISS Build

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #81
Hi, I did what suggested, but only the front windows closes and none open up. I have checked twice the settings and they are ok. In the screen the opne close functios are visible and enabled.Thanks
For the current US model ST, global open is enabled by default from factory. See the extract from the owners manual.
Screenshot_2023-05-25-07-57-04-18_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

The changes I did, enables the global close only. Even though the function says global, it refers to the front two windows only. There might be a another way to make it work along with the rear and sunroof.

Last edited:
OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #82
My android auto cable was getting pinched due to regular use of the lid. I was able to find a slot just above the lid to route the cable, and had to remove only that one small trim panel.

IMG_20230530_110111.jpg

No need to carefully place the cable, for closing the lid, anymore. No more pinching of the cable either. Lid operation is not at all affected. Only reason it worked for me is because my cable is a flat one. Round ones won't work with the opening there.

The small things that makes me happy (organized).
The white gate access card is placed there with Velcro and keep it out of sight to everyone. Yet my hand knows where to find it every single time

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #83
FORScan Change: Auto Start Stop Disable (Battery Management System method)

Module : IPC and BdyCM Module
Method: Easy click select

1685592404643.png

Issues : I am not clear on how its going to affect the Battery charging part of the vehicle operations. Also a warning is shown on every vehicle startup. Will keep it for few days and revert back.
ST IPC SS.jpg

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #84
FORScan Change: Engine Sound Enhancement Delete (FENG Delete)

Module : ACM Module
Status: Done Successfully. No more Fake noises coming through the speakers. The music sounds slightly better as well.

1685593155930.png

Disclaimer : I kind of like the fake sounds in Sports mode and might revert back after the upcoming road trip with kids.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
FORScan Change: Engine Sound Enhancement Delete (FENG Delete)

Module : ACM Module
Status: Done Successfully. No more Fake noises coming through the speakers. The music sounds slightly better as well.

View attachment 18059

Disclaimer : I kind of like the fake sounds in Sports mode and might revert back after the upcoming road trip with kids.
You know, I agree with you on the fake sound in Sport mode. It bothered me more before swapping the exhaust. But not at all when the ST makes real noise too.

OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #86
You know, I agree with you on the fake sound in Sport mode. It bothered me more before swapping the exhaust. But not at all when the ST makes real noise too.
Exhaust, IC and tune are in my bucket list. So much tempted after seeing so many doing it here.

I don't see myself, adding any big/performance changes, anytime soon for multiple reasons.
  1. I'm still very new to ST and yet to understand it's limits and capabilities.
  2. ST is easily the most powerful vehicle I ever owned and I have never even hit 100 till date.
  3. I don't have a proper place (or a trusted dealer/ shop) to make some hardware changes that I like to do myself.
  4. Having taken extended warranty and maintenance plans from Ford, makes me think twice before making any irreversible changes.
  5. Having worked with automotive designers and engineers for 10 years, my personal Factor Of Safety value is much higher when it comes to cars.
  6. I'm currently in California (enough said) and might be changing soon to another place where these changes can be done easily and at a lower cost.

OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #87
FORScan Change: Auto Rear Wiper on Reverse

Module : SCCM Module
Method: Click select
1685714786534.png

Reverse Auto Wipe.jpg

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #89
+ No matter how dirty they are, very easy to get them back to new look, after a 10 mins cleaning.
Make it an hour (first vacuum, then with wet cloth, last with dry cloth) for detailed cleaning all three rows and cargo area.

Cleaned the mats for the first time after 40 days. It was very dirty with all the accumulated dirt from Antelope Valley to San Diego beaches.

It's back to brand new look. Now I don't feel like stepping on them. :LOL:

IMG_20230602_141314.jpg

IMG_20230602_141204.jpg
IMG_20230602_141106.jpg
IMG_20230602_141028.jpg

Reactions
FORScan Change: Amber DRL with/without White DRL

Module : BdyCM - Body Control Module

View attachment 17964

Additional Change : If you don't want the White DRL
Module : As-Built Modules BdyCM
Change : 726-42-01 x4x4 xxxx xxXX (original value was 0303 and new 0404)

View attachment 17966

Note : Feature works when the vehicle is running, during day time (when DRL is supposed to work) and when Headlights are in Auto.

View attachment 17967
Pictures of Amber DRL working with and without White one

So this only works during the day not at night??? Mine works with JUST Amber DRL during the day with headlight in auto

but at night the headlights in auto turn on and the white DRL strip is on not the amber?

OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #91
So this only works during the day not at night??? Mine works with JUST Amber DRL during the day with headlight in auto

but at night the headlights in auto turn on and the white DRL strip is on not the amber?
Yes, that's correct.
DRL is Day-time Running Lamp.
All you are doing is changing the white DRL to Amber one. Like the name says it works only when the day light is there and when the headlamps in auto mode.

At night the white one comes back as park light.

Reactions
Yes, that's correct.
DRL is Day-time Running Lamp.
All you are doing is changing the white DRL to Amber one. Like the name says it works only when the day light is there and when the headlamps in auto mode.

At night the white one comes back as park light.
thanks for confirming I just wanted to make sure what I did was what was intended! Appreciate it!

OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #93
DMV + USPS(?) went with my money and custom license plate :mad:
Money paid in 8th Dec 2022, and after multiple trip to DMV, they are telling, they shipped it on 7th April 2023.
Now, no one knows where it is.
I was really looking forward to have a black plate in front of my ST.

The prefect way to ruin your day is a visit to DMV, every single time for me.
Anyone knows a way out, let me know. :cry:
After multiple DMV visits and many phone calls later, finally black plates are here.
YoHo.jpg
Need to do something about the Fog Lamps and then I'm all set with the front end.
Please excuse the dusty car and before some one asks, that's not what my real plate says.

OP
R2D2

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #94
Rerouting the Rear Dash Camera cable through liftgate cable management tube was a long pending task for me.
Finally I gathered the courage and did it yesterday.

Below picture is post installation. the red line is where the cable used to be dangling, when the liftgate was opened.

Wire Dangling.jpg

The weather proofing seals/clamps of the rubber tube, that carries all the cables to the liftgate, is in a tricky spot to begin with.
They gave quite a fight before they came out. This was the primary reason why I kept procrastinating this one task.
I used one plastic trim pry tool and one regular flat head screwdriver to press on the white clamp under the rubber seating to pull it out.

Press to open.jpg

At the liftgate side the opening was good and had enough space for more cables. But on the vehicle body side, there was no opening.
I even removed the white clamp from the rubber part and found out it was well insulated, much deeper, to prevent water leak into the cabin.
I cut opened a small hole inside and pushed in a long enough and stable enough Ziptie through it.

Entering from the red arrow side and exiting at the Green one. It was easier than what I though it would be, considering the exit was very small opening.
Also you can see the black cable coming out of the white clamp, from the behind the headliner / D pillar area.

Zip Tie Fishing.jpg

I attached the cable head to the ziptie head and used some regular white tape, without making it too bulky.
I did not use any lubricant (because I did not had anything handy that time), but the cable came out without any difficulty. (Sigh of relief)

Happy Fishing.jpg

Used the same ziptie, to fish-out the cable two more times, through the liftgate access holes, before reaching the rear camera.
I have removed the liftgate top trim panel (just slide in your fingers and pull down to open) and few wiring there looks delicate. Practice caution around those.
I added a small layer of white tape near the end of the cable to prevent pinching from the trim panel.

Final destination.jpg

I have also made a small opening on the trim piece, again to prevent any pinching that might happen while fitting it back.
The yellow marker shows the completely hidden cable route from the main front unit to the rear one.

Front to Back.jpg

Total two hours for something that was barely visible when the liftgate was closed. Totally worth it.
Before & After.jpg
Spot the differences between the before and after pictures :LOL:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good info on the camera lead…I’m looking to get a camera system like I have in my charger…

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #97
How difficult was it running the wire above the headliner?
Was not difficult for me, mainly because mostly I tucked the wire inside the headliner edge, near to rubber weather strip, using the trim pry tool. I never really moved/removed the headliner for installation.

I took out the top of A Pillar trim (near headliner) so that I can run the wire behind the opening zone of curtain airbag. After fishing it out, pushed it back in.

Top of the B Pillar trim also was a bit tight, but the wire slipped in without much issues.

Only area I have to pull down the headliner a bit, is near to liftgate to fish out the cable there.

Disclaimer: this is my fourth time doing it on multiple vehicles, but first time on ST.

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #98
View attachment 17572
So far, everything looks good.
18, 20 and 29 inch bikes fits nicely.
Feels solid, but it's too early to comment on anything else.

I might convert this back to a two bike rack, for handling convenience. (Rack is heavy at 51lb and difficult to reach the tilting pedal, in the three bike configuration.)

Don't invest in the transfer locking cable accessory from Kuat. I bought it, as I needed a hitch lock and I got it used at 20$. Not worth at the original listed price, as it was designed for an older model.

And yes, the rear brake assist works on my ST. And constant beeping will remind you to turn off the parking sensors everytime you put into R.
I get a lot of questions about this one from general public. After two months of usage, my thoughts remain the same as the original post. It was a really good buy.
IMG_20230613_234700.jpg
I leave it on the vehicle almost all the time and I have to be cautious and work around a few things
  1. Switch off the parking aid at startup or when I move to shifter to reverse
  2. Not accidently open the liftgate from inside
  3. Account of the extra length, especially when loaded with bikes or when I have to open the liftgate
  4. Partial/blocked rear view from the camera and mirror
  5. Chimes and warnings about reverse brake assist being unavailable.
  6. Pressing the adjustment pedal/handle is a pain with the three racks in place.
Still deciding on which one of three racks I have to remove for reducing the weight and for getting more rear view from the setup.

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #99
Sunset & Star Gazing @ Joshua Tree.

Pioneertown. Should have done the front window tinting before the trip. Temperature changed from 64 in LA to 94 in Yucca valley in 2 hours.
Pioneertown JT.jpg

Desert Christ Park. We were alone there, so parked ST under whatever shade I could find.
Desert Christ Park JT.jpg

Hidden Valley picnic spot. We retuned back there one more time at midnight, for start gazing.
Hidden Valley JT.jpg

Keys View, viewed from after an hour climb to the opposite mountain.
Keys View 2 JT.jpg

Sunset time, the area got very windy, but reaching there early (6.30) made sure we could sit in the car and watch it till the end. People were queueing up and getting irritated later, as there were only limited parking spaces at Keys view point.
Keys View 3 JT.jpg

Star Gazing from 11pm to 1 am, while kids slept in bed, they setup in trunk, with the third row folded.

View attachment SG JT 1.jpg
View attachment SG JT 2.jpg
View attachment SG JT 3.jpg

These are the best photos I could get with my android phone, without a tripod. It was very windy and there was lot of light pollution as well.
Finally decided to leave (and return later) as I did not had all the proper equipment, for viewing the Milky Way and capture it.

Back in LA by 4am. 18 hours round trip, 340 miles @ 22.6 mpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
FORScan Change: Silent Mode Control Function (Dark Car mode)

Module : APIM Module
Status: Done Successfully. Toggle button gets enabled in the Sync 3.4 and above

View attachment 17827

View attachment 17828

Thanks @Max Salvo for asking about it. Its so easy to do in Sync 3.4 and above.
I will keep this option off almost all the time, though. Who doesn't like the Christmas light show. :cool:
Tried this and I get the silent mode toggle, but nothing changes when I turn it on. I have my headlights turned off, but the dash, radio, window switches all stay lit…the overhead lights come on when I open the door..

is there something I’m missing or messing up?

Attachments