Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Here is a sound bite of a cold start and a under load pull away...
The pull away sounds good! But I think both videos are the same :unsure:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No worries! I appreciate the efforts.

This sounds good. I think I might have found my setup!

Reactions

I think if you want to achieve a little more aggressive note, you can fit the Borla 40842S in place of the Vibrant 1140 2.25 resonators I had installed. The Vibrants are half the cost of the Borlas but bottom line is what is your financial expenditure comfort zone and of course your exhaust sound preferences. For me, I'm quite happy with my setup, it's quiet enough for a daily driver, but gets noticed under hard acceleration..
Hope this helps

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

I installed the Borla ATAK with carbon fiber tips and it sounds awesome to me, of course it's hard to replicate a V-8 but.....

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Got my S-Type exhaust today. How difficult was it to install? Something I can do in my garage with the help of my four daughters :). I’m pretty handy but wanted to ask before I jumped in. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skooty

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Got my S-Type exhaust today. How difficult was it to install? Something I can do in my garage with the help of my four daughters :). I’m pretty handy but wanted to ask before I jumped in. Thanks.

I just did mine last week on my own. It took me maybe a couple hours. The hardest part was removing the stock pipe since it’s one piece. I had to put crawlers and/or jacks under all the resonators/mufflers to hold and roll out from under the car.
When installing the Borla, it took a few tries to adjust and twist the quad tips to be even to each other and in relation to the bumper cut-outs.
I recommend doing as another member mentioned in earlier posts about chopping off the bolts that are on the underside of the body. The Borla will hit the bolts and rattle.
Now, does anyone have recommendations as to what to do with the stock pipes? My wife isn’t fond of them making our side-yard look like something out of a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just did mine last week on my own. It took me maybe a couple hours. The hardest part was removing the stock pipe since it’s one piece. I had to put crawlers and/or jacks under all the resonators/mufflers to hold and roll out from under the car.
When installing the Borla, it took a few tries to adjust and twist the quad tips to be even to each other and in relation to the bumper cut-outs.
I recommend doing as another member mentioned in earlier posts about chopping off the bolts that are on the underside of the body. The Borla will hit the bolts and rattle.
Now, does anyone have recommendations as to what to do with the stock pipes? My wife isn’t fond of them making our side-yard look like something out of a Jeff Foxworthy joke.
Thanks for the tips. I may tackle it this weekend. I plan on backing the vehicle up on ramps. Do you think that’s enough room to work? As for cutting of the bolts, are those attached to the body of the Explorer? Just concerned down the road if someone wanted to convert it back to stock exhaust.

skooty

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks for the tips. I may tackle it this weekend. I plan on backing the vehicle up on ramps. Do you think that’s enough room to work? As for cutting of the bolts, are those attached to the body of the Explorer? Just concerned down the road if someone wanted to convert it back to stock exhaust.

I backed mine up on ramps and it was more than enough room under the rear bumper part. Under the middle, where the pipes separate after the cats, was a bit more cramped, but nothing so bad I couldn’t work.

The bolts to cut (I believe) are just for holding on the heat shield under the body, so it won’t affect the stock pipes at all. The part you cut is the excess part of the bolt anyway, so if you ever need to remove the heat shield it should still be possible. It was quick and easy to do with a Dremel.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I backed mine up on ramps and it was more than enough room under the rear bumper part. Under the middle, where the pipes separate after the cats, was a bit more cramped, but nothing so bad I couldn’t work.

The bolts to cut (I believe) are just for holding on the heat shield under the body, so it won’t affect the stock pipes at all. The part you cut is the excess part of the bolt anyway, so if you ever need to remove the heat shield it should still be possible. It was quick and easy to do with a Dremel.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)
Great info. Thank you! I’ll start tomorrow.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Great info. Thank you! I’ll start tomorrow.

Just finished the exhaust install. Not bad but Borla should update their instructions. Didn’t realize if the six clamps, two were different and those need to be on the front of the exhaust. The other four are for the middle and back. Other than that, not bad. Did it by myself using two coolers to support the old exhaust when I took it off.

One issue I can’t figure out is that the right rear muffler is hitting a large frame bolt and causing a vibrating noise. I had to slide a piece of cardboard in between until I figure out how to adjust it down away from the bolt. I cut the heat shield bolt which was easy with a dremel.

Overall, I like the sound. Plenty loud enough for me and they look so much better.

Question: what did everyone do with their old exhaust? It’s massive and would need to be cut up to haul.

skooty

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just finished the exhaust install. Not bad but Borla should update their instructions. Didn’t realize if the six clamps, two were different and those need to be on the front of the exhaust. The other four are for the middle and back. Other than that, not bad. Did it by myself using two coolers to support the old exhaust when I took it off.

One issue I can’t figure out is that the right rear muffler is hitting a large frame bolt and causing a vibrating noise. I had to slide a piece of cardboard in between until I figure out how to adjust it down away from the bolt. I cut the heat shield bolt which was easy with a dremel.

Overall, I like the sound. Plenty loud enough for me and they look so much better.

Question: what did everyone do with their old exhaust? It’s massive and would need to be cut up to haul.

Can you upload a photo of the frame bolt? Maybe far enough away to see where it is exactly on the vehicle? I didn’t have this issue, so maybe it’s just a matter of twisting/adjusting around the pipes and muffler on that side. I had to do that a few times to raise or lower the driver side pipe/muffler so that it was even with the other side.
As for the clamps, I agree it was confusing. I had to match the part numbers on the clamps with the parts-list to figure out which are which.

skooty

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Oh, and I have the same question about the stock pipes. I have no clue what to do with them.

Reactions
Oh, and I have the same question about the stock pipes. I have no clue what to do with them.
Hacksaw and throw in the trash?

Reactions
Do you guys notice a pop when you downshift in sport mode sometimes? I don't hear it all the time, but sometimes it's actually pretty loud.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Do you guys notice a pop when you downshift in sport mode sometimes? I don't hear it all the time, but sometimes it's actually pretty loud.
Yup, and its my favorite freaking part of my ATAK setup. I've actually gotten pretty good at intentionally making it pretty reliably. Its just unburnt fuel combusting in the hot exhaust. Its a glorious noise. Enjoy it. :) My buddies GT350 does it incessantly... and he still isn't tired of it.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Sell them. I got a deal on mine because I saw one of the mechanics (whom did the work installing my Borla S-Type) had a 2020 Explorer (non-ST). Pretty sure he put it on his Explorer after I left. Probably why they gave me a good price.

Reactions
Sell them. I got a deal on mine because I saw one of the mechanics (whom did the work installing my Borla S-Type) had a 2020 Explorer (non-ST). Pretty sure he put it on his Explorer after I left. Probably why they gave me a good price.
Borla S Type installed and love it. Not to much or to little.