Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

Reactions
So i removed the OEM resonator and replaced it with an internal x-pipe resonator . Removed the rear mufflers and added straight pipe with some tips....other than the typical round tips ( so tired of that look ) .

I will have to get a video up soon but i can tell you right now that this was less than half the cost of Borla and sounds absolutely amazing . No drone and subtle deep tone at highway speed . After you jump on the accelerator , it really growls .
Would it be possible for you to post the make or part number of the internal x-pipe resonator you installed, thank you...
Sound video would be great!
Can you take a couple of underneath pics?

Red17

Reactions
My Borla S-Type came in yesterday and got installed today. For anyone on the fence regarding the sound based on the various Youtube videos, rest assured that it sounds great (and nothing like a ricer). I was a tad nervous as I'm coming from a 392 SRT, which has an exhaust note that is hard to beat. While the S-Type can't hold a candle to the sound of a big naturally-aspirated V8, it has a very refined sound like someone posted earlier in this thread. It also looks great. My wife, who will be driving the ST a good bit, approves of the sound and even she mentioned how much better the noticeably larger tips look.

Reactions
Would it be possible for you to post the make or part number of the internal x-pipe resonator you installed, thank you...
Probably the one from DynoMax since there aren't a ton of others out there.

DynoMax UltraFlow.jpg

The OE one is offset, so this one may not fit since its inlets and outlets are centered. Having an 'X' welded in will probably be easy enough as an alternative.

Reactions
I think the exhaust shop used the one by Flo Pro but not 100% sure.....but they all will look and sound about the same .

Piper9t3

Reactions
Just got my Borla ATAK installed and must say I drive in sport mode a lot more now! The exhaust notes really come to life at 3000rpm and up. Overall happy with this exhaust upgrade.

Reactions
Just had my S-type installed. It sounds pretty good. I come from a 6.2V8 raptor with a Magnaflow exhaust. TTV6 will never have that sound. Is what is it. Better than stock. No drone. Went to dealer to have fake exhaust sound turned off. I know it’s through the Ford IDS system. The tech could not find it and had to open a ticket to email,Ford motor. Said they are slow responding. Anyone know how they can do it?Find it in IDS. Google says zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just had my S-type installed. It sounds pretty good. I come from a 6.2V8 raptor with a Magnaflow exhaust. TTV6 will never have that sound. Is what is it. Better than stock. No drone. Went to dealer to have fake exhaust sound turned off. I know it’s through the Ford IDS system. The tech could not find it and had to open a ticket to email,Ford motor. Said they are slow responding. Anyone know how they can do it?Find it in IDS. Google says zero.

Did this the other day, no more speaker exhaust sound!

Attachments

Reactions
My exhaust setup is subtle yet aggressive when needed . It cost 1/3 of the Borla and i didn't even need to worry about cancelling the "speaker exhaust" because I can't hear it anymore . Not that my new setup is loud but it just creates a nice tone all the way through the power band where the "speaker exhaust" would be heard .
STEXHAUST2.jpg

Reactions

So the dealership put in a engineering request for the sound delete. Here is the response from Ford. My brother is the service director. Tell the customer to use another quieter mode WTF.

Reactions

So the dealership put in a engineering request for the sound delete. Here is the response from Ford. My brother is the service director. Tell the customer to use another quieter mode WTF.

We already know it can be disabled so does it really matter what they say ???

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Whoever at Ford wrote that should be sent for some re-training. Sounds like another engineer who never drove what he helped design. The enhanced sound comes through in Normal mode too.

DKOV

Reactions
Strange noise coming from Borla Exhaust

hey guys, 2 weeks ago I installed the borla S-Type. Love it. I almost got the ATAK but didn’t want such a loud exhaust. Sounds amazing when you step on it but hardly noticeable when on cruise control on the highway.
I started hearing this rattling noise a few days ago and it’s progressively getting louder and more often. Mainly when I’m slowing down, kinda like a backfire But doesn’t sound like one. It goes away when I shift into park and get out to look where it’s coming from. I think it’s toward the rear of the car though. I can’t tell if it’s the exhaust hitting something or something came loose inside the exhaust. Anyone heard this before or have an idea what it could be? The sound clip was taken from the trunk. Thanks for the input!

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

hey guys, 2 weeks ago I installed the borla S-Type. Love it. I almost got the ATAK but didn’t want such a loud exhaust. Sounds amazing when you step on it but hardly noticeable when on cruise control on the highway.
I started hearing this rattling noise a few days ago and it’s progressively getting louder and more often. Mainly when I’m slowing down, kinda like a backfire But doesn’t sound like one. It goes away when I shift into park and get out to look where it’s coming from. I think it’s toward the rear of the car though. I can’t tell if it’s the exhaust hitting something or something came loose inside the exhaust. Anyone heard this before or have an idea what it could be? The sound clip was taken from the trunk. Thanks for the input!
That sounds like the exhaust is vibrating against the body of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
That sounds like the exhaust is vibrating against the body of the vehicle.

So Monday I did a OEM muffler delete and straight piped the exhaust with some new tips on the end.
I would just like to mention that exhaust sound (note) is subjective to each individual. (like music, food, movies etc)
What I observed (and heard) is that the exhaust sound was louder, raspier and I acquired a bit of a drone at 2000-2300 rpm. Did not like the result at all...
So today I went back to the custom muffler shop and had some Vibrant 1140 2.25 Ultra Quiet Resonators welded on just before tips.
Huge difference... Rasp is gone, drone is gone, just a nice even deep tone through the whole rpm range. And it's plenty loud without being ubnoxious under full load. Again this is my personal taste.
This whole exercise cost me aprox $450cad(I live in British Columbia Canada).
It is not a Borla SS custom system but unfortunately here, with the $ exchange, customs, duty, shipping I'd be looking at $2000cad to go the Borla route..
Just sharing an option , that's all IMG_20200604_123127.jpg

Attachments

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Check the retaining screws/nuts on the heatshields just above the Borla rear mufflers. I had a sound that was exactly like that and it was the heatshield vibration. When i installed mine, the borla hanging brackets required pretty extensive massaging to get the mufflers down and away from those nuts. I ended up actually taking a dremel to a couple of them to nip the tops (sticking past the nut) off a couple. You may also need to adjust the forward-most hanging bracket to make sure it sits completely within the rubber bushing--that took a bit of work to get just right.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Shahdog....any chance we can get a sound bite of your new exhaust? I'm interested in this setup.

Reactions
No problem, I'll get a sound clip together and post it

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Looking forward to hearing it. Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday but it is held up in German customs. Hopefully soon.

Reactions
Looking forward to hearing it. Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday but it is held up in German customs. Hopefully soon.

Here is a sound bite of a cold start and a under load pull away...

Attachments

DKOV

Reactions
Check the retaining screws/nuts on the heatshields just above the Borla rear mufflers. I had a sound that was exactly like that and it was the heatshield vibration. When i installed mine, the borla hanging brackets required pretty extensive massaging to get the mufflers down and away from those nuts. I ended up actually taking a dremel to a couple of them to nip the tops (sticking past the nut) off a couple. You may also need to adjust the forward-most hanging bracket to make sure it sits completely within the rubber bushing--that took a bit of work to get just right.
That’s exactly what the sound is from. Those bolts are hitting the tops of the mufflers. Thanks!