Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

skooty

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
A whole new system or just the resonator? Seems odd they sent a whole new system. I hope nothing else becomes broken due to the result of these fibers building up.
They sent the whole system.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Borla S Type exhaust had a recall on their resonators. After getting the new one in, I started hearing rattling around 1500 rpm.
When getting the ST up on ramps, I noticed a screw was a fraction of an inch away from the top of the mufflers. They only made a noise when I slightly lifted the muffler upward. I put a piece of plastic between the screw and the mufflers. No more noise. ;)

I wanted to share this in case anyone ran into the same problem. Pictures included.

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Borla S Type exhaust had a recall on their resonators. After getting the new one in, I started hearing rattling around 1500 rpm.
When getting the ST up on ramps, I noticed a screw was a fraction of an inch away from the top of the mufflers. They only made a noise when I slightly lifted the muffler upward. I put a piece of plastic between the screw and the mufflers. No more noise. ;)

I wanted to share this in case anyone ran into the same problem. Pictures included.
I had the same issue but I just cut the ends of the screw off with a dremel. No more noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

I had the same issue but I just cut the ends of the screw off with a dremel.

KegsBdry

Reactions

I ended up putting this on them... It should handle temperatures up to 600'

1603904303248.png

F=MA

Reactions
Have the S type on hand ready to be installed (going to paint the mufflers first). SPD should be shipping any day.
I just ordered the Borla S-type exhaust with black tips. Are you just painting the visible ends of the mufflers black or the whole muffler. Are you going to use black header paint in the spray can or something else? After awhile I decided it looks good as is.

Last edited:
Reactions
Just finished the exhaust install. Not bad but Borla should update their instructions. Didn’t realize if the six clamps, two were different and those need to be on the front of the exhaust. The other four are for the middle and back. Other than that, not bad. Did it by myself using two coolers to support the old exhaust when I took it off.

One issue I can’t figure out is that the right rear muffler is hitting a large frame bolt and causing a vibrating noise. I had to slide a piece of cardboard in between until I figure out how to adjust it down away from the bolt. I cut the heat shield bolt which was easy with a dremel.

Overall, I like the sound. Plenty loud enough for me and they look so much better.

Question: what did everyone do with their old exhaust? It’s massive and would need to be cut up to haul.

What was your fix for the frame bolt? I am having a similar problem. I don't want to adjust the pipes down because it looks good where it's at. I was think about placing some heat wrap in between the bolt and the muffler so it isn't metal against metal. Thoughts?

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
What was your fix for the frame bolt? I am having a similar problem. I don't want to adjust the pipes down because it looks good where it's at. I was think about placing some heat wrap in between the bolt and the muffler so it isn't metal against metal. Thoughts?
I actually ended up adjusting the mufflers down just a little. It was pretty easy to do and hardly noticeable. No rubbing at all now.

F=MA

Reactions
I had the excess length of the four bolts cut off after the removal of the stock mufflers and before the install of the Borla mufflers. Problem solved.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Bought the Borla S-Type exhaust. But I'm regretting not doing the ATAK because it's not loud enough.

Anyone else?

F=MA

Reactions
Have the same setup. Took mine for a 100 mile trip and it then became twice as loud upon startup so you may have to give it a chance to burn-in. It's tone is growing on me.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Have the same setup. Took mine for a 100 mile trip and it then became twice as loud upon startup so you may have to give it a chance to burn-in. It's tone is growing on me.
Fair point. Thanks.

Zim

Reactions
Bought the Borla S-Type exhaust. But I'm regretting not doing the ATAK because it's not loud enough.

Anyone else?
This is what I’m worried about. I had the S Type on my RS... sounded great but I always wanted more. But I’m also worried the ATAK will be too loud for my neighbors. I let my car warm up for a bit while I’m getting ready in the morning. :/

KegsBdry

Reactions
This is what I’m worried about. I had the S Type on my RS... sounded great but I always wanted more. But I’m also worried the ATAK will be too loud for my neighbors. I let my car warm up for a bit while I’m getting ready in the morning. :/
That's exactly why I also went with the S type. I'm certain it's the better choice all around in the long run. But it's far better than that Prius sounding factory exhaust. Plus, on long car rides, the ATAK will slowly annoy me.