Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

KegsBdry

Reactions
You’re right. The fake sound in the radio sounds good. On the outside the ST sounds like a mini van!
LOL! Exactly why I changed the exhaust the first month. Can't be the only one enjoying that sound!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Yes, best decision I could have made! Sounds great, looks great. Wanted to go with a carbon-fiber look, but friend talked me into doing the black tipped. I think it looks and sounds a lot better.

Attachments

808st

Reactions
Went to my local shop today. I removed the back 2 resonators and just ran “real” tips to the exit. I left the main muffler and piping intact for now. I like the sound and look. For $300, I think it was worth it. DB0E40E7-049D-47EB-B911-DFEEC2669B13.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Went to my local shop today. I removed the back 2 resonators and just ran “real” tips to the exit. I left the main muffler and piping intact for now. I like the sound and look. For $300, I think it was worth it. View attachment 648
I'm shocked, that does sound great. Only $300 too!

This goes to show that Ford could have easily made a better vehicle by simply adding better looking/sounding exhaust pipes. Good job!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Very cool. Where did you get the tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

808st

Reactions
Very cool. Where did you get the tips?

The shop had a good selection of tips. These are Flowmaster tips. I almost went with a set that was a little more slanted, but settled on these. I was almost going to get larger single tips on each side, but they didn’t look right in the cutouts on the rear valence.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I really like the look. Can you share the exact model Flowmaster?

808st

Reactions
I really like the look. Can you share the exact model Flowmaster?

Darn, sorry didn’t pay much attention and threw the boxes away. I was at the shop and I actually held a few different tips up to the explorer while it was on the rack to see what looked good. It’s hard to decide just off pictures unless you see it on the truck.

Reactions
If you really want to hear/enjoy it, turn the goofy fake exhaust sounds off. Staying with the stock exhaust in mine for the time being, but glad not to have the annoying noise coming out of the speakers.
Did you turn off the fake exhaust and if you did did you use Forscan? Thanks!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just ordered the Borla ATAK for delivery to Germany. $1,293 total. Not bad. From Summit racing.

Reactions
Did you turn off the fake exhaust and if you did did you use Forscan? Thanks!
All the info is right there on the previous page of this thread.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ok I finally got the Atak installed the other day and have had a lot of mixed city and highway driving. This is the best way to describe it..

You know how everyone claims the exhaust comes out of their speakers? No imagine it just ever.so slightly louder, just a few decibles, and real. Like a real exhaust note, but from the actual truck. The fit and finish was amazing. Installation on a lift with removal of old exhaust was like 30min. That easy.

So my final verdict, absolutely awesome. Has no bass notes or annoying interior noises at highway speeds. Very mellow and barely noticable if you stay steady at 75. On a low end and use manual mode, at around 3k the exhaust has an amazing exotic styled note.

So all in all the Atak sounds a little louder than exactly stock but with a purpose. 5 stars on Yelp.
So I just ordered the ATAK with chrome tips. Are you still satisfied with it after having it a while?

Reactions
So... short answer.. yes I am. Is the wife happy? Absolutely not. So with that said im going to switch back to stock.

For sale soon. Nyc area.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Oh wow. I was worried about that so I switched my order to the S type. Hopefully that one isn’t too loud also.

Reactions
So... short answer.. yes I am. Is the wife happy? Absolutely not. So with that said im going to switch back to stock.

For sale soon. Nyc area.
You have my attention. To bad I can only drive 150 miles from my location which ends me up Philadelphia. Stupid DOD restrictions.

Reactions
Hey All
Just looking to change the OEM cans to a Borla ProXS™ Muffler part # 40358,
Any advice, experience? I'm just after a better exhaust note...

Reactions
So i removed the OEM resonator and replaced it with an internal x-pipe resonator . Removed the rear mufflers and added straight pipe with some tips....other than the typical round tips ( so tired of that look ) .

I will have to get a video up soon but i can tell you right now that this was less than half the cost of Borla and sounds absolutely amazing . No drone and subtle deep tone at highway speed . After you jump on the accelerator , it really growls .

Attachments