Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I meant to post this a while back...

ZFG 93 Tune 0-60 after tweaking and working on it. Not to mention...MUCH better at launching.
Are you using straight 93? I want a 93 tune and a 93/Boostane tune. I have several cases of that crap left over from my blown F150.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Yes. And you can see the difference between the 2nd gear 93 launch of 4.28 that I posted earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
Are you using straight 93? I want a 93 tune and a 93/Boostane tune. I have several cases of that crap left over from my blown F150.
Yeah, That was straight 93 with E10 93(Tested from when I mix to E50). Boostane treated would have about the same time, but not fall off as much down the run! You are doing IC too, so that will help.

Reactions
I keep forgetting to ask.. What mode, auto or manual, do you guys use for the best 0-60 times? I just made one quick attempt, sport more using Manual, and it just seemed off. Of course, I'm not pro drag car driver, so I'm sure it's me and not the car. Just curious.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Let it shift itself...you cannot manually shift it better than the computer can. Use manual for having fun on twisty roads to hold gears...that’s a lot of fun.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Yep, Put in Sport and brake boost. Then go.

Reactions
It completely depends on how Ford does it. If they even mess with the shifting.

Power is increased in all modes. It is how it is put down that changes per mode.

My E50 from ZFG has basically stock shifting in all modes except Sport, where there has been many tweaks.

Reactions
Yep, Put in Sport and brake boost. Then go.

To run in E50 do you need a high efficiency fuel pump? I know E85 does from what I've read.

LokiWolf

Reactions
To run in E50 do you need a high efficiency fuel pump? I know E85 does from what I've read.
Nope, E50 can be done on Stock everything with an appropriate tune.

Reactions
Just ordered my ZFG Racing tune today. Hopefully getting my ST back on Monday, with its new transmission. Can't wait to see how the tune, "feels." Woohoo!

Reactions
About 75hp

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Just re-reading up on all the different tunes....you say 75hp gains on 93 tune but otherwise stock? Impressive...do you also adjust throttle response, shift points, skip gear, etc?
what do you expect from modified truck - intercooler, exhaust, downpipes..?

EcobeaST

Reactions
Hey I'm new here...just picked up my ST 5 days ago...have about 175 miles on it. Even before I got it I was looking into possible tunes but haven't really found any information to help me decide which company to go with. Livernois, 5 Star, Palm Beach...how to decide?

Regarding the warranty conversation...couldn't you just put the stock tune back on before bringing in?
Well I used Palm Beach Dyno 93 octane tune with HP tuner. It was easy for me I live in the area so I could go there and talk to them. But do your research...Livernois is great, MAK Performance is what I use in my F150.

And yes my ST has been to Ford because of sensor issues twice and you just take the tune out set back to factory tune and they have no idea. Except I am an idiot and my dealer knows that I tune every car I buy from them...but point is as long as set back to stock when they get it you are covered...at least that's what my dealer says...lol

LokiWolf

Reactions
you just take the tune out set back to factory tune and they have no idea. Except I am an idiot and my dealer knows that I tune every car I buy from them...but point is as long as set back to stock when they get it you are covered...at least that's what my dealer says...lol
Nope. They can always tell. Anybody who has told you differently is blowing smoke. Key cycles are a dead giveaway. Every time you flash the key cycles get set to zero. If you take it in and have 2 key cycles they obviously know you were tuned. They could then dig further if they wanted. Best is to talk to your Service manager and see how they are with Mods.

EcobeaST

Reactions
Nope. They can always tell. Anybody who has told you differently is blowing smoke. Key cycles are a dead giveaway. Every time you flash the key cycles get set to zero. If you take it in and have 2 key cycles they obviously know you were tuned. They could then dig further if they wanted. Best is to talk to your Service manager and see how they are with Mods.

Yes sir Loki, you are exactly right...they can tell if they dig. what i meant was in my personal case if I take it out and they don't see it they don't search any farther. It is always a risk to tune or mod in any way I get it...didn't mean to say anything miss leading....

Reactions
More times, stock turbos, ic down pipes, exhaust, meh and my e50 tune.

LokiWolf

Reactions

Damn!

Reactions

On these tunes is the Whipple intercooler pretty much a must do mod so you don't blow the motor?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
It doesn’t take much...especially if you’re just trying to get 91 up to 93. Over mixing is just wasting it. View attachment 1130
So for all you guys considering using octane boost, that clearly contains MMT, do we just disregard this info straight out of the owner's manual?:
Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
It doesn’t take much...especially if you’re just trying to get 91 up to 93. Over mixing is just wasting it. View attachment 1130
So this comes straight out the owners manual, I'm I missing something about octane boost additives and MMT??

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.