Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
I've been running both E85 & 93 Tune(s) from PBD for awhile now and have zero complaints.... I also live in S. Florida and have had the luxury of working directly w/ PBD, RareFab and soon Steeda. So when choosing (PBD) was a bit more appealing to me geographically and to be honest ZFG wasn't really active on this thread back then. From what's been said by numerous members though ZFG seems to have a good rapport and stands by their customers. I can honestly say the same about PBD as well though. The bottom line is that regardless of whichever company anyone decides to choose I can promise you that your ST will be more fun to drive after its been tuned!!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've been running both E85 & 93 Tune(s) from PBD for awhile now and have zero complaints.... I also live in S. Florida and have had the luxury of working directly w/ PBD, RareFab and soon Steeda. So when choosing (PBD) was a bit more appealing to me geographically and to be honest ZFG wasn't really active on this thread back then. From what's been said by numerous members though ZFG seems to have a good rapport and stands by their customers. I can honestly say the same about PBD as well though. The bottom line is that regardless of whichever company anyone decides to choose I can promise you that your ST will be more fun to drive after its been tuned!!
Good to hear. That’s mainly what I want....fun to drive. Not looking to break any records but to run with beemers and Mercedes while here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Unfortunately, they don’t have E85 here in Germany or I would get that tune as well.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Sorry last quote, is there a big difference between the E85 and the 93?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Sorry last quote, is there a big difference between the E85 and the 93?

E85 def has more zip and I'm sure would be extremely fun to use on the Autobahn.... but to be honest w/ you if you don't have it available in your area a 93 tune is also great and more practical for most day to day driving due to its availability.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
E85 def has more zip and I'm sure would be extremely fun to use on the Autobahn.... but to be honest w/ you if you don't have it available in your area a 93 tune is also great and more practical for most day to day driving due to its availability.
Cool. I will add the E85 when I get back to the states. I plan on adding octane boost as well.

Reactions
I've been doing my Livernois with the e30 blend for the past two tanks, it's definitely much more powerful, can only imagine e85, but trying not to stress things too much I think it's plenty good where it's at.

KegsBdry

Reactions
New to the whole tuning process. But definitely interested in a 93 tune. Looking to get my tune from Ford Performance.

-What does a 93 tune roughly cost?
-What is involved in a tune? Am I sending something from my vehicle out to Ford Performance and they send it back tuned? Does Ford Perf remote into my vehicle via a computer connected via the ODB2 port? No idea how this works.
-How much more horsepower/torque are people getting with their 93 tune? My only performance change is a S-type Borla Exhaust. Will that affect the HP/Torque #s?

Reactions
New to the whole tuning process. But definitely interested in a 93 tune. Looking to get my tune from Ford Performance.

-What does a 93 tune roughly cost?
-What is involved in a tune? Am I sending something from my vehicle out to Ford Performance and they send it back tuned? Does Ford Perf remote into my vehicle via a computer connected via the ODB2 port? No idea how this works.
-How much more horsepower/torque are people getting with their 93 tune? My only performance change is a S-type Borla Exhaust. Will that affect the HP/Torque #s?

Don't believe the Ford Performance one will be out until next year from what I'm hearing, and I'd assume install and everything else would happen at an authorized Ford dealership.

Tunes cost anywhere from $499 and up. They send you a "tuner" and you send back your data and they email you a tune based on the file they sent, which you install via the tuner in your car in a matter of minutes by plugging the tuner in the OBD port.

93 tunes roughly gain 50ish WHP, some a bit more but I'd say that's about average.

Reactions
I've been doing my Livernois with the e30 blend for the past two tanks, it's definitely much more powerful, can only imagine e85, but trying not to stress things too much I think it's plenty good where it's at.
Did you have to change the fuel pump for e30?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Don't believe the Ford Performance one will be out until next year from what I'm hearing, and I'd assume install and everything else would happen at an authorized Ford dealership.

Tunes cost anywhere from $499 and up. They send you a "tuner" and you send back your data and they email you a tune based on the file they sent, which you install via the tuner in your car in a matter of minutes by plugging the tuner in the OBD port.

93 tunes roughly gain 50ish WHP, some a bit more but I'd say that's about average.
Thank you for details. Sounds like it'll be $10+ per 1 HP. 50HP added is no small climb. That's pretty impressive.

And if I read right, I can JUST have the tune setup for when I go into SPORT MODE. And leave all the other modes (Slippery, Eco, etc) as is.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Thank you for details. Sounds like it'll be $10+ per 1 HP. 50HP added is no small climb. That's pretty impressive.

And if I read right, I can JUST have the tune setup for when I go into SPORT MODE. And leave all the other modes (Slippery, Eco, etc) as is.
It completely depends on how Ford does it. If they even mess with the shifting.

Power is increased in all modes. It is how it is put down that changes per mode.

My E50 from ZFG has basically stock shifting in all modes except Sport, where there has been many tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
I meant to post this a while back...

ZFG 93 Tune 0-60 after tweaking and working on it. Not to mention...MUCH better at launching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

ZFG 93 Tune 0-60 after tweaking and working on it. Not to mention...MUCH better at launching.

Nice what’s that in the 1/4 mile?

LokiWolf

Reactions
Nice what’s that in the 1/4 mile?

I didn’t run that out to the 1/4. Was working on launching and 1-2, 2-3 shifting.

Most people won’t use the 1/4 speed on the street. You are at 100+ at the 1/4 mark. So the 0-60 has been where I have been focusing.

SO Much fun to leave a sports car in the dust in a 7 seat SUV!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I didn’t run that out to the 1/4. Was working on launching and 1-2, 2-3 shifting.

Most people won’t use the 1/4 speed on the street. You at at 100+ at the 1/4 mark. So the 0-60 has been where I have been focusing.

SO Much fun to leave a sports car in the dust in a 7 seat SUV!

Yea that’s true. Didn’t think of that.

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions

1st gear launch?