Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
So this comes straight out the owners manual, I'm I missing something about octane boost additives and MMT??

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.
I'm pretty sure anyone interested in tuning understands the risk of modifying their vehicle.

So what exactly are you trying to get at?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
After reading this thread in its entirety, looks like I'll be going with zfg for a tune.

Is there any benefit to renting a dyno locally in Calgary? Or are the street pulls just as good?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just a corporate ass covering. Overuse of things with MMT can coat the O2 sensors and cats and cause issues for sure...that’s what I always say run some clean tanks through after your doped tanks.
Other than that...go have some fun.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
After reading this thread in its entirety, looks like I'll be going with zfg for a tune.

Is there any benefit to renting a dyno locally in Calgary? Or are the street pulls just as good?

You actually get better data logging on the street. You can’t beat real world conditions.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just a corporate ass covering. Overuse of things with MMT can coat the O2 sensors and cats and cause issues for sure...that’s what I always say run some clean tanks through after your doped tanks.
Other than that...go have some fun.
Thanks for that reassurance!!

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'm pretty sure anyone interested in tuning understands the risk of modifying their vehicle.

So what exactly are you trying to get at?

Was honestly trying to get some feedback from others, and sharing info for those that barely crack open their owners manual. I 'm thinking about going with the 93 tune, since that's all I run since I purchased it back in December 2019. I see you guys are located not to far from Green Bay, I'm left to assume you're a cheesehead, I'm about 4 hours away in "BEAR COUNTRY"!!

Reactions
I also run 93 straight out of the stealership so I Wanted maps 93 performance & daily also just in the rare chance I get caught in a sticky situation (no 93 available ) an 87 & 89 tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STSkip

Reactions
I also run 93 straight out of the stealership so I Wanted maps 93 performance & daily also just in the rare chance I get caught in a sticky situation (no 93 available ) an 87 & 89 tune

All the 93 around here is ethanol blend, how does that affect getting a 93 tune?

Reactions
All the 93 around here is ethanol blend, how does that affect getting a 93 tune?
E10 93 is better than no e93 especially in these. Just like e50 is better than 93 and e85 is king.

rchuro

Reactions
I live in Phoenix and am new to this “tuning” world. Is there a tune that would help my ST run better for daily driving in the 100F to 112F heat out here?

Reactions
I live in Phoenix and am new to this “tuning” world. Is there a tune that would help my ST run better for daily driving in the 100F to 112F heat out here?
A Whipple intercooler should be your first purchase, followed by a tune

Reactions
Quick question anybody leasing and installing / installed the Whipple intercooler?

rchuro

Reactions
A Whipple intercooler should be your first purchase, followed by a tune
thanks! Is that something I could get the ford dealer to install to avoid voiding warranties or would I just need to find someone?

I’m not a “car guy“ so I apologize for the dumb question, but what aspect of the car’s performance will the intercooler upgrade improve? Gas mileage, power, both?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
thanks! Is that something I could get the ford dealer to install to avoid voiding warranties or would I just need to find someone?

I’m not a “car guy“ so I apologize for the dumb question, but what aspect of the car’s performance will the intercooler upgrade improve? Gas mileage, power, both?
Ford will install but I would encourage you to get to know your service writer. Intercooler will help with heat soaking from the turbos and heat. Oem Intercoolers suck ass... if you are looking to add performance and a tune the Intercooler is a most

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat

MZEITLER

Reactions
Has anyone used tunes from 5 Star? i have a tuner and was thinking of getting one of there tunes via email. Any one have any experience doing their own this way?

LokiWolf

Reactions
Has anyone used tunes from 5 Star? i have a tuner and was thinking of getting one of there tunes via email. Any one have any experience doing their own this way?
What tuning device do you currently have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MZEITLER

Reactions
SCT i believe is the brand. I had a corvette tuned and they sent the tuner with the car