Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Of course I would like you to pick me, but regardless of that you should consider the device that you are going with. If you plan on doing a lot of modifications over time the n gauge is not the best advice for that. The data logging ability of the engage just isn't there, when I'm doing a custom tune on the St or pretty much any EcoBoost the customer is data logging 80 + channels of data. The most you can record with the n gauge is 25 and it is missing a lot of the important EcoBoost specific parameters. It's great for loading an off-the-shelf tune but if you want something custom the RTD or mpvi2 is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I am stationed in Germany but home on leave for the next seven days. I am located in Florida right now, how How long will it take to get me the tune so I can bring it back to Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Of course I would like you to pick me, but regardless of that you should consider the device that you are going with. If you plan on doing a lot of modifications over time the n gauge is not the best advice for that. The data logging ability of the engage just isn't there, when I'm doing a custom tune on the St or pretty much any EcoBoost the customer is data logging 80 + channels of data. The most you can record with the n gauge is 25 and it is missing a lot of the important EcoBoost specific parameters. It's great for loading an off-the-shelf tune but if you want something custom the RTD or mpvi2 is the way to go.

I’m looking online now. What’s the difference between the MPVI2 and RTD besides $75? Confused about the credits too.

Reactions
I’m looking online now. What’s the difference between the MPVI2 and RTD besides $75? Confused about the credits too.

The only difference between the RTD and the mpvi2 is the RTD does not have access to vcm editor which you wouldn't use unless you were planning on trying to tune it yourself. So for 95% of my customers the RTD is the right device for them. The RTD I ship myself and I can have that pack up in a box and dropped off tomorrow with two day and it should get to you by Wednesday at the latest.

Also I saw question about Bluetooth flashing from an app. Without getting into detail, let me just say the rtd/mpvi2 are the right move.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
The only difference between the RTD and the mpvi2 is the RTD does not have access to vcm editor which you wouldn't use unless you were planning on trying to tune it yourself. So for 95% of my customers the RTD is the right device for them. The RTD I ship myself and I can have that pack up in a box and dropped off tomorrow with two day and it should get to you by Wednesday at the latest.

Also I saw question about Bluetooth flashing from an app. Without getting into detail, let me just say the rtd/mpvi2 are the right move.

Once I order and install the Intercooler next month I’ll be hitting you up for the 93 and E50 tune.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Sounds good. I went on your website and figured most stuff out but how the credits work. I believe the ST is 4 credits but no idea what that means.

Reactions
Sounds good. I went on your website and figured most stuff out but how the credits work. I believe the ST is 4 credits but no idea what that means.

Yes it is 4 credits, since you can use the RTD on multiple cars the way they license each car is by credits. In order to register your car with you're device it costs four credits. If you want to do another vehicle with the same device all you do is buy more credits which can be purchased at any time. This is also a better fit over the n gauge which can only be used on one vehicle at a time.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes it is 4 credits, since you can use the RTD on multiple cars the way they license each car is by credits. In order to register your car with you're device it costs four credits. If you want to do another vehicle with the same device all you do is buy more credits which can be purchased at any time. This is also a better fit over the n gauge which can only be used on one vehicle at a time.

Interesting. Makes sense. This won’t work on a Honda Odyssey will it or just American cars.

Reactions
Interesting. Makes sense. This won’t work on a Honda Odyssey will it or just American cars.

No Hondas, but if you go to hptuners.com and click on supported vehicles you'll see what is available

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
No Hondas, but if you go to hptuners.com and click on supported vehicles you'll see what is available

Thank you. I made my mind up and will be going with ZFGRacing. I was looking at your website and notice you give discounts to Police, Military, EMS, and Fire. I will support more organizations like yours going forward. Cops especially need our support more than ever these days so thank you.

Reactions
Thank you. I made my mind up and will be going with ZFGRacing. I was looking at your website and notice you give discounts to Police, Military, EMS, and Fire. I will support more organizations like yours going forward. Cops especially need our support more than ever these days so thank you.

Yes they do need our support and if you fit one of those categories, just send me an email and I will get you a code.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just ordered my 93 Tune from ZFGRacing. 11 out of 10 Stars so far just based on the customer service. Looking forward to receiving the tune.

Cksutler

Reactions
So I am still new to the ST and tuning world. Came over from the 4x4 side of things. Do you have to leave the tuner plugged in after the install or can you remove it once done?

LokiWolf

Reactions
So I am still new to the ST and tuning world. Came over from the 4x4 side of things. Do you have to leave the tuner plugged in after the install or can you remove it once done?
Remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cksutler

Reactions
So if you get the ZFG tune, does it effect just the sport mode or all modes. This is my Daily and also I tow so I’m not looking to start racing, but I’m interested in more power and better shifting even if minimal.

LokiWolf

Reactions
So if you get the ZFG tune, does it effect just the sport mode or all modes. This is my Daily and also I tow so I’m not looking to start racing, but I’m interested in more power and better shifting even if minimal.
Adam@ZFG can tweak yours to your preference.

Personally I have basically stock shifting strategy in all modes except Sport and love it. More power across the board, but behaves like stock, other than more power.

Put it in Sport, and watch out!

But tell Adam what you are looking for, and he will tweak it to your preferences!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Adam@ZFG can tweak yours to your preference.

Personally I have basically stock shifting strategy in all modes except Sport and love it. More power across the board, but behaves like stock, other than more power.

Put it in Sport, and watch out!

But tell Adam what you are looking for, and he will tweak it to your preferences!

That’s pretty much the tune that I want.

Reactions
Jshaffer3819, I know you already bought the ZFG tune, but I just wanted to add, I had been considering the 5 star tune, but I had 3 separate people, on three separate platforms tell me to avoid them. But, have not heard anything negative about either ZFG or Palm Beach (I was going to go with Palm Berach as well, till I saw ZFG here).

I'm still waiting for my ST to get outta the shop, as it's getting a new transmission... lol. under 300 miles and needed a new trans... hehe. But, I"m going with ZFG as well. I thought I wanted a fancy gauge, but then it would just cause the wife to ask questions... <wink, wink>. lol. Now, I realize I should be stealthy. hehe

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Jshaffer3819, I know you already bought the ZFG tune, but I just wanted to add, I had been considering the 5 star tune, but I had 3 separate people, on three separate platforms tell me to avoid them. But, have not heard anything negative about either ZFG or Palm Beach (I was going to go with Palm Berach as well, till I saw ZFG here).

I'm still waiting for my ST to get outta the shop, as it's getting a new transmission... lol. under 300 miles and needed a new trans... hehe. But, I"m going with ZFG as well. I thought I wanted a fancy gauge, but then it would just cause the wife to ask questions... . lol. Now, I realize I should be stealthy. hehe
That’s good to hear. I’ve had heard nothing but good things about ZFG and PBD but I really like the tuner that ZFG offers better too. Good point about the gauge. I want mine to look like a sleeper. Interesting about all the other lines of programming you can do with ZFG’s offered tuner. What tune are you getting? 93, E85, etc.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Yeah, the RTD and MPVI2 are SO much better at logging than the Nguage, and can be used to tune more than one vehicle with out buying additional hardware. I use it on both my Explorer and Expedition.

I am testing the Insight 3 currently as a digital gauge device. Will post a review in a week or so, after I have used it a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
That’s good to hear. I’ve had heard nothing but good things about ZFG and PBD but I really like the tuner that ZFG offers better too. Good point about the gauge. I want mine to look like a sleeper. Interesting about all the other lines of programming you can do with ZFG’s offered tuner. What tune are you getting? 93, E85, etc.

For starters I'll be getting a 93 tune, I have plenty of E85 in my area, so if I can find someone to replace the fuel pump, I'll get the E85 tune.