Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

Brian

Reactions
I currently have the livernois tune in my truck. I was speaking with both pbd and Zrg about buying a fuel pump, tune and intercooler to run e 85 The pbd guys replied to me once then I never heard back again. Zrg was much easier to work with. He relied quickly to all my questions and seems like he knows his stuff. I will keep you guys posted how I make out
I know as far as the pump goes there is a new pump that is supposed to be a lot better than the existing model and that has been a hold up. So I don’t believe pbd will sell the older model. They are just telling people to wait for the better one that is coming out. Also pbd doesn’t require money down to get in line for the intercoolers. As soon as there in stock which they have bought such a large order is supposed to be very soon and they will go down the list and collect money and ship out.

Reactions
I know as far as the pump goes there is a new pump that is supposed to be a lot better than the existing model and that has been a hold up. So I don’t believe pbd will sell the older model. They are just telling people to wait for the better one that is coming out. Also pbd doesn’t require money down to get in line for the intercoolers. As soon as there in stock which they have bought such a large order is supposed to be very soon and they will go down the list and collect money and ship out.
@mruff1975 is getting the new pump

LokiWolf

Reactions
I asked Adam for a 93/e 85 package with the fuel pump. I would imagine it will take a few weeks before I get everything.

I ordered a draggy Friday that should arrive this week I will play around and see what kind of times I can get. It will be fun to compare
Definitely curious how LMS’s times look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
E-mailed Ford Performance this morning and this is reply i received

Bryan-

As of right now, no we do not have a calibration for the Explorer ST. With that said, we are exploring it (no pun intended) but as of right now, nothing is set in stone.

Matt Korczyk
Ford Performance Info Center
Ford Performance Parts Vehicle Coordinator
(800) 367-3788
df.jpg

Red17

Reactions
I got a similar response from Ford Performance about a week ago. Hopefully it is not 2021 as they told some other members of the forum.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
E-mailed Ford Performance this morning and this is reply i received

Bryan-

As of right now, no we do not have a calibration for the Explorer ST. With that said, we are exploring it (no pun intended) but as of right now, nothing is set in stone.

Matt Korczyk
Ford Performance Info Center
Ford Performance Parts Vehicle Coordinator
(800) 367-3788
View attachment 789
Should share the email address and everyone send an email. Demand drives supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
What is the best technique for launching these things?
I just got mine and was playing with my Dragy and my 0-60's were a bit dismal. I had it in sport, advance-trac off, used just enough brake to hold it still and revved up to as high as it would go (2500 ish) and the best I could get was a 5.77. It was heat soaked from a highway drive and the DA was a dismal 5631 ft.
It did 14.15@97.24 and a pedestrian 2.11 60 ft
It had only 700km on the odometer so perhaps it just needs some time to loosen up.

Reactions
I just got mine and was playing with my Dragy and my 0-60's were a bit dismal. I had it in sport, advance-trac off, used just enough brake to hold it still and revved up to as high as it would go (2500 ish) and the best I could get was a 5.77. It was heat soaked from a highway drive and the DA was a dismal 5631 ft.
It had only 700km on the odometer so perhaps it just needs some time to loosen up.
Put it in N and pump the brakes and then put them to the floor and put it back in drive. You should be able to stall it up to 3000. Just watch out for wheel hop. If you have the right tune, you can also leave in 2nd gear which might work better in the higher alt.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

KegsBdry

Reactions
I read that launching from 2nd is the best & a more repeatable way of doing it. Works well.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I read that launching from 2nd is the best & a more repeatable way of doing it. Works well.
2nd is the most and easiest to repeat, but is slightly slower. It is A LOT easier on the Trans than a First gear launch.

LokiWolf

Reactions
The heat soak is killing you! But if driving easy on the interstate, you can cool things down pretty good. Especially if the shutters are open.

Like Adam said below, except I do not switch to neutral. I pump and stand on the brake in Drive/Sport Mode. Ease the gas to get to just under 3000 RPM’s and release the brake. Also, you just have to turn Traction Control off not completely disable AdvanceTrac. Just the momentary press is all you need.

Reactions
Thanks guys, I'll test that technique out and I'll do it with a cooler engine and at less altitude.

Reactions
Hey I'm new here...just picked up my ST 5 days ago...have about 175 miles on it. Even before I got it I was looking into possible tunes but haven't really found any information to help me decide which company to go with. Livernois, 5 Star, Palm Beach...how to decide?

Regarding the warranty conversation...couldn't you just put the stock tune back on before bringing in?
I went with the 5star. Haven't installed yet but know someone with the 5star tune and it's a huge difference.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thanks guys, I'll test that technique out and I'll do it with a cooler engine and at less altitude.
Take a video, if you can. Let's see that launch!

I wonder how much tire rotation happens upon release @ 3K RPMs?

Reactions

Depends on the tune any how the torque is ramped in after the for brake is released..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions

Very little with tires warmed up on a good surface. At least on the 21’s.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m looking forward to seeing how 305’s hook.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’m looking forward to seeing how 305’s hook.
No issues with the 275 21’s hooking! They get a little spin. Since the driveshaft has been partially proven to be a weak link, a little spin might not be terrible.

Stock, except for drop in AFE Dry, and ZFG E50 tune. This is the 2nd fastest time I have seen. 3.75, also done by me, but a negative DA.

All I am saying is if the 305’s stick real well, to be careful. Wheel hop and a hard launch trashed another guys drive shaft.

Reactions
I'm curious how much slower the 0-60 times would be without rev'ing up first... just stepping on the gas to start. The last thing I need is to snap a driveshaft on my ST mobile, (My kids call it the ST mobile, saying it like a word, not two separate letters... lol) lease. But, I can't do anything till it gets back from the shop... lol. under 300 miles and it's 2nd trip to the dealer for powertrain malfunctions... ugh. But, even still, I love this car, for me, the best car I've ever owned.