Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hey I'm new here...just picked up my ST 5 days ago...have about 175 miles on it. Even before I got it I was looking into possible tunes but haven't really found any information to help me decide which company to go with. Livernois, 5 Star, Palm Beach...how to decide?

Regarding the warranty conversation...couldn't you just put the stock tune back on before bringing in?
Ford can see when a tune is reset. Plus, if you are concerned with the warranty, wait until Ford Performance puts out a tune for the Explorer. All Ford Performance parts do not void the warranty.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Ford just released a performance tune for the Ranger. I've got to believe one for the Explorer is in the works. Again, worth it to wait. Most just want a tune for the stock setup anyways.
That's great news! Where do you find release news for Ford Performance parts? I didn't see it on their website.

Brian

Reactions
Palm beach dyno has the best fastest 93 tune out. And the fastest e85 tuned st. Drivability is amazing Ken really know what he is doing and a joy to work with. He will get you dialed in.

Reactions
If you don't mind mixing fuels at the pump, I can hook you up with an e50 tune (50% ethanol 50% 93 octane). This draggy results were in pretty good air, but my customers have consistently been hitting 12.2xs and 3.9-4.0 0-60s. Customers with intercooler upgrades will likely see the low 12.00 high 11 times in hot weather.

RunZFG.com

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
Palm beach dyno has the best fastest 93 tune out. And the fastest e85 tuned st. Drivability is amazing Ken really know what he is doing and a joy to work with. He will get you dialed in.
Haha! Yes you are correct. But you know my E50 times(Dragy) are the fastest period on my 100% Stock ST. Less E content, no aftermarket pump or IC.

Stock. Well I have redline hood struts, a JLT Catch Can, Drop in AFE Dry Filter, and WeatherTech mudflaps, but you know what I mean.

Driving this thing Tuned is SO much fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brian

Reactions
Haha! Yes you are correct. But you know my E50 times(Dragy) are the fastest period on my 100% Stock ST. Less E content, no aftermarket pump or IC.

Stock. Well I have redline hood struts, a JLT Catch Can, Drop in AFE Dry Filter, and WeatherTech mudflaps, but you know what I mean.

Very good run I’m not gonna knock that but you guys are making hero runs in -1500 da and 36 degrees outside. It’s is a good time and I’m not here to argue just want to see what she runs when you get into my weather here in south Florida. I’ve gone 11.99 -12.0 on dragy in 1000 da and almost 70 degrees with 95 percent humidity consistently . My mods are hpfp and intercooler and pbd tuning it.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

That’s exactly what I want. Stock with a tune and use 93 octane. Adding a Borla exhaust and that’s it. What could I get out of my ST with this setup? Daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
That’s exactly what I want. Stock with a tune and use 93 octane. Adding a Borla exhaust and that’s it. What could I get out of my ST with this setup? Daily driver.

This is what Ray's did on our 93 octane tune with a slow 0-60 (still getting used to launching).

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Wow still impressive!

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
This is what Ray's did on our 93 octane tune with a slow 0-60 (still getting used to launching).

Is your tune a cookie cutter or were they done on the dyno and street for each vehicle?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
After you pull your stock tune and send it to him, Adam(ZFG) will send you a baseline tune for the Octane you are running. From there he will have you do acceleration runs, and steady 3rd or 4th gear pulls to see how your particular car and fuel is responding. He will adjust from there and send you revisions. Also he can adjust shifting and other settings.

In mine he has left all the shifting stock except for in Sport Mode. I can also see what gear I am in when in all Modes without having to use paddles or Manual. It is the little things.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. What time did you get in 0-60 mph on 93 octane after the tune?
4.28 was my best before going to E50. I am MUCH better at launching now as you can see from the above!

Here is my best 93:

LokiWolf

Reactions
Very good run I’m not gonna knock that but you guys are making hero runs in -1500 da and 36 degrees outside. It’s is a good time and I’m not here to argue just want to see what she runs when you get into my weather here in south Florida. I’ve gone 11.99 -12.0 on dragy in 1000 da and almost 70 degrees with 95 percent humidity consistently . My mods are hpfp and intercooler and pbd tuning it.
Complete respect!

Yeah, we get seasons up here, and actual temperature changes. You get to laugh at us though when it is 70 and amazing, and we are freezing!

I will definitely see what she does when the temp comes up.

Brian

Reactions
(n)

Palm beach dyno best run on 93 so far. Drivability is better than stock as well

Attachments

Reactions
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. What time did you get in 0-60 mph on 93 octane after the tune?
The best he managed was 4.2x if I remember. However, that was leaving in second vs 1st year much easier on the drivetrain. I also don't push them that hard down low on 93 octane, the harder you push down low, the harder it falls on its face up top on 93.

LokiWolf

Reactions
The best he managed was 4.2x if I remember. However, that was leaving in second vs 1st year much easier on the drivetrain. I also don't push them that hard down low on 93 octane, the harder you push down low, the harder it falls on its face up top on 93.

Posted my Dragy above for 93. Like Adam said, 2nd Gear launch, much smoother, and easier, but atleast a 10th slower. On E50, it means 4.0, vs 1st gear 3.8.

I really prefer the 2nd gear launch. It is repeatable! 1st gear, fine line between wheel spin and a good launch.

LokiWolf

Reactions
How do these tunes effect towing a boat?

Not sure if LMS does a specific tune for towing on the ST. On my Edge they had one. I have always towed on my performance tunes, just put Trans in Tow/Haul, and didn’t drive like an idiot.

With these new ones with a Tow Mode, I will probably do the same. But I won’t tow very often with the ST. I have an Expedition for that.

Bottom line, talk to your tuner and tell them what your needs are and they will adjust things.

Adam has many customers that tow heavy with 150’s daily. He will adjust.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ben doing a lot of tune research and it’s seems like 5Star tune has a lot of good info.

Explorer ST Posts