Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

LokiWolf

Reactions
Ben doing a lot of tune research and it’s seems like 5Star tune has a lot of good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO. 5 Star isn’t even close to ZFG or PBD in quality on the ST, they are 3 to 4 10ths slower across the board. They did release an update last week for the ST that supposedly fixed some of the shifting issues they were having.

I don’t have any personal experience with them, but everything I have read and the numbers show they just can’t play in the same arena as ZFG or PBD on the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
NO. 5 Star isn’t even close to ZFG or PBD in quality on the ST, they are 3 to 4 10ths slower across the board. They did release an update last week for the ST that supposedly fixed some of the shifting issues they were having.

I don’t have any personal experience with them, but everything I have read and the numbers show they just can’t play in the same arena as ZFG or PBD on the ST.

Why does me think you have a horse in the race for ZFG.....it's nice to review something but it's starting to sound like a sales pitch...

Fastest doesn't equal "best".

LokiWolf

Reactions
Why does me think you have a horse in the race for ZFG.....it's nice to review something but it's starting to sound like a sales pitch...

Fastest doesn't equal "best".
ZFG is my Tuner on my ST, I have made that Very clear.

I also said PBD in that post, basically direct competition to ZFG.

My ST is now the 5th EB powered SUV I have owned. I have used many Tuners, personally. I currently use LMS on my 2020 Expedition. I have used LMS, BCB, Unleashed, and finally ZFG on my 16 Edge Sport that was traded for the ST.

There are many that use 5 Star on the ST and are happy, but there are several that have switched from 5 Star to ZFG or PBD. They are putting way more work into the platform in my opinion than any other tuners. Trying to be fastest does lead to development for those that do not desire that. Kinda like racing helps with development of street cars.

Don’t make assumptions without facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

I was just basically saying that 5Star has a lot of good explanations as to what they actually tune and the changes they make. There website is the best I’ve seen BUT not saying they may have the best tune. All their info was very informative for rookies like me.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I was just basically saying that 5Star has a lot of good explanations as to what they actually tune and the changes they make. There website is the best I’ve seen BUT not saying they may have the best tune. All their info was very informative for rookies like me.

I would agree. Their info and PR is great. For some platforms they might be great, just for the ST I personally believe 2 of the tuners have the edge. That would be ZFG and PBD.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I would agree. Their info and PR is great. For some platforms they might be great, just for the ST I personally believe 2 of the tuners have the edge. That would be ZFG and PBD.

Sounds good. I am researching both of them now. Thanks.

Red17

Reactions
When it comes to ZFG vs. PBD, does anyone have experience with both to give a recommendation on which is better for daily driving? I probably won't be bringing the ST to the drag strip and am simply looking to add to the fun to drive factor. I'm about to add the Borla S-Type exhaust and a high flow air filter and from there a tune is likely the next step.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Sounds like my exact scenario. I emailed PBT and they have a nice package that includes Tow, efficiency, and sport tune on 93 octane. Daily driver and can still tow a boat. He said they were getting 12.5ish with this package which is plenty good enough for me. Waiting on my SType exhaust to arrive so I can install that.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Sounds like my exact scenario. I emailed PBT and they have a nice package that includes Tow, efficiency, and sport tune on 93 octane. Daily driver and can still tow a boat. He said they were getting 12.5ish with this package which is plenty good enough for me. Waiting on my SType exhaust to arrive so I can install that.

Sorry PBD not PBT.

Reactions
All interesting info. As much as I'd like to tune, having to burn 93 just doesn't cut it imho. The price spread here in N TX is $00.90 a gl between 87 vs 93. The high octane user in TX is subsidising the 87 oct user. Sucks, but it is what it is.

LokiWolf

Reactions
All interesting info. As much as I'd like to tune, having to burn 93 just doesn't cut it imho. The price spread here in N TX is $00.90 a gl between 87 vs 93. The high octane user in TX is subsidising the 87 oct user. Sucks, but it is what it is.
Even Stock I would be running 93. Without it you aren’t even getting the Ford Stock rated numbers. Just a waste. All Ecoboost come tuned from the factory for 93 and detune for anything less, based on sensors.

There are 87 tunes out there, but they might get you to Stock 93 numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Do you think the fed and local LEA are running 93 in the 6th gen PIU's ? Nope .............. And they run just fine. I watch Ft Worth and several other dept's here in N TX fuel up. Not a one of them is running 93 grade.

Reactions
Do you think the fed and local LEA are running 93 in the 6th gen PIU's ? Nope .............. And they run just fine. I watch Ft Worth and several other dept's here in N TX fuel up. Not a one of them is running 93 grade.
It'll be "fine", not like the car is going to not operate you just won't be getting maximum potential out of it. If you're ok with that, no worries.

Reactions
Like I mentioned, if there were only a small spread in cost between 87 and 93, I'd run 93 in a heartbeat. I'll be damned if I'm going to subsidise the Prius crowd. Penalizing me just shy of $1.00 a gal to run 93 is bull IMHO. Not sure what is happening elsewhere price wise. $16 a tank difference sucks big time.

Reactions
I currently have the livernois tune in my truck. I was speaking with both pbd and Zrg about buying a fuel pump, tune and intercooler to run e 85 The pbd guys replied to me once then I never heard back again. Zrg was much easier to work with. He relied quickly to all my questions and seems like he knows his stuff. I will keep you guys posted how I make out

LokiWolf

Reactions
I currently have the livernois tune in my truck. I was speaking with both pbd and Zrg about buying a fuel pump, tune and intercooler to run e 85 The pbd guys replied to me once then I never heard back again. Zrg was much easier to work with. He relied quickly to all my questions and seems like he knows his stuff. I will keep you guys posted how I make out
Adam @ ZFG is great at responding. LMS will not adjust your tune for E85, so I assume you are going to use Adam’s tuning now too?

Do you have a Dragy? Really curious what times you were seeing with LMS?

Reactions
I asked Adam for a 93/e 85 package with the fuel pump. I would imagine it will take a few weeks before I get everything.

I ordered a draggy Friday that should arrive this week I will play around and see what kind of times I can get. It will be fun to compare