Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

LokiWolf

Reactions
Well, yes. Yes I do. As I said, ZFG is the top tuner "right now". I know (of) Adam and he has done a few Raptors, even one with stage 4 CRP turbos. There is NO magic to tuning any vehicle though, so it really boils down to which one is willing to take the most risk, as in how much money you got, or rather how much will you spend? Simple as that. Granted, I'm still learning the new 10spd transmissions AND the HPtuners software, so that is my handicap for now. If we were to go at it "today" I would concede up front that I'm not ready, so you can bask in that, for now.

3 years from now, your tune only skills on the ST still won’t be quicker than Adam’s tunes. Keep hoping. Some of the best in the business are behind him on this platform, and I promise you they all know more than you!

“the most risk”, now you are implying that he has risked his customers vehicles by tuning them. I have never met Adam in person, but yet my ST does a 12.32 1/4, 4.0X 0-60, on 93, everything else stock. He keeps all safety settings in place, and has people pushing serious power when others are slower and trashing transmissions.

I am maybe 2 hours from you and can meet you anywhere between. Tell me when you are ready and we will line up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

has people pushing serious power when others are slower and trashing transmissions.
You "trashed" your transmission with ZFG but say it's a problem with the stock tranny. When others' trannies go, you blame the tune. So which is it? I can almost guarantee you are not the only one to have need a tranny replaced running ZFG.

LokiWolf

Reactions
You "trashed" your transmission with ZFG but say it's a problem with the stock tranny. When others' trannies go, you blame the tune. So which is it? I can almost guarantee you are not the only one to have need a tranny replaced running ZFG.
HaHaHaHa!

Yep, full disclosure I have had a transmission issue. As have many others. Go talk to a service writer at a large dealer. The Trans issues from the factory is even happening on XLT’s and limited’s with far less power.

My Trans had issues from day 1, 14 miles on the odometer. My tune actually made it better. Eventually the problem started showing up even while being tuned. Mine never left me, never threw a message or went in to limp mode. Had a hard downshift from 7-6 that eventually got worse. Solenoid and a few other things involved

The 5Star tuned ST we have seen eat Transmissions we’re fine stock, tune added, and in videos you could hear they were sitting on the clutch way too long. People asked for changes, even with logs and videos, and it was worse. Eventually they completely died, limp mode, had to be towed.

I have launched mine 100’s of times from a standstill, 2900 RPM’s, TC off, Sport mode on 93, and E50. No issues in the gears that are involved in those 0-60 launches, or the 1/4. Believe it or not the 7-6 downshift is not typically involved in those accel runs.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, yes. Yes I do. As I said, ZFG is the top tuner "right now". I know (of) Adam and he has done a few Raptors, even one with stage 4 CRP turbos. There is NO magic to tuning any vehicle though, so it really boils down to which one is willing to take the most risk, as in how much money you got, or rather how much will you spend? Simple as that. Granted, I'm still learning the new 10spd transmissions AND the HPtuners software, so that is my handicap for now. If we were to go at it "today" I would concede up front that I'm not ready, so you can bask in that, for now.
Get your tune “right” and gimme a shout. I have zero doubt you’ll see nothing but my taillights at the finish line. I’ll cover whatever bet you wanna make since you brought up money. That won’t scare me away.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
HaHaHaHa!

Yep, full disclosure I have had a transmission issue. As have many others. Go talk to a service writer at a large dealer. The Trans issues from the factory is even happening on XLT’s and limited’s with far less power.

My Trans had issues from day 1, 14 miles on the odometer. My tune actually made it better. Eventually the problem started showing up even while being tuned. Mine never left me, never threw a message or went in to limp mode. Had a hard downshift from 7-6 that eventually got worse. Solenoid and a few other things involved

The 5Star tuned ST we have seen eat Transmissions we’re fine stock, tune added, and in videos you could hear they were sitting on the clutch way too long. People asked for changes, even with logs and videos, and it was worse. Eventually they completely died, limp mode, had to be towed.

I have launched mine 100’s of times from a standstill, 2900 RPM’s, TC off, Sport mode on 93, and E50. No issues in the gears that are involved in those 0-60 launches, or the 1/4. Believe it or not the 7-6 downshift is not typically involved in those accel runs.

I remember telling that guy from HI that posted a video to not even think about running it hard until 5Star fixed his tune…he ran it hard and it died within a week.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
…... Tell me when you are ready and we will line up!....
Okie dokie Loki. Should I remove the grandkids' car seats, or maybe the kids can just hop in and ride along? According to you and ol' broke I'll be slow enough. LOL

LokiWolf

Reactions
Okie dokie Loki. Should I remove the grandkids' car seats, or maybe the kids can just hop in and ride along? According to you and ol' broke I'll be slow enough. LOL
I can leave the tools that are typically in mine…

Pretty sure it won’t matter.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am happy with the Palm Beach Dyno tune, just to throw out another option for consideration.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I am happy with the Palm Beach Dyno tune, just to throw out another option for consideration.
PBD is an excellent choice. Honestly the only one I would choose other than ZFG.

Reactions
Great read! Thinking of pulling for the ZFG myself, been in contact with Adam. Just a bit nervous on the transmission issues people have been having even being stock. Wouldnt want for dealer to deny transmission work thats happening on stock cars.

Dont have an ST but bought a Platinum, luckily, after 2k miles, only issue i'm running thru is the infamous rear view camera blue screen.

rhite95

Reactions
Which tuning device did you go with? U cal or RDT and why?

Thanks

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
Which tuning device did you go with? U cal or RDT and why?

Thanks
Get the RTD. The UCal can only be used with PBD. The RTD can be used with other tuners like ZFG. Only downside to the RTD, is you need a Windows laptop to use with it.

RTD also has FAR superior logging in comparison to the UCal.

LokiWolf

Reactions
And you know this, how?
Because the UCal is the exact same piece of hardware as the MyCal from LMS. I own one. Have logged on it on my Expedition just to see what it could do.

I also own a MPVI2(Same logging capabilities as the RTD), and I have been logging with it for over 2 years now.

Have you logged with both? I have. I don’t speak from theory, I speak from experience.

Like @UNBROKEN said, PID’s. Pretty much anything the ECM or TCM can output the RTD can read. The UCal/MyCal has a very limited set. Then there is refresh rate on the PID’s. The rate at which the RTD can sample when hooked to a laptop is crazy. I can log over 30 PID’s at once, AND adjust the rate for each of those PID’s separately.

LokiWolf

Reactions
So a comparison of the datalogging was done?
Dude, it is like night and day difference. When it comes to logging they aren’t even in the same discussion. It’s like a Tonka Dump Truck and a real one. HPTuners devices take it to a whole different level.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
ok thanks. just wondering.

Reactions
They have two 93 tunes. I'm running the daily driver 93 tune, that their tech guy recommended. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Nine days later.... Still loving this tune. Stupid fast. Shifting is great, very smooth. So much fun when all four wheels chirp.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
PBD or 5 star for e85? Also any SoCal shops that do e85 setups? Been loving our ST but really want it running on e85