Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

VTA mod, am I the first?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I agree with you here which is why i wanted an actual BOV instead of a spacer . The video of the Boomba sounds weird to me because it's not just a quick release , it releases for a few seconds and sounds like an air leak .
*sigh*

It looks like we've reached some common ground. I've asked around, but I haven't gotten an answer. What do you think - do you surmise the delayed release is do to the BOV being electronic vs. vacuum-operated?

Reactions
Helps what? You've provided no data to back up any claims with this specific example (your ST).
Helps me think i'm cool and sound cool (y)(y)(y)

You want data....use Google .

To the rest of the members , if you like it buy it .

You will find that i will post my mods every time i add something . I add mod threads so others see there are options , in case they are on the fence . If i can create a thread , or add to an existing thread , to help at least 1 member make a positive decision towards their creation , then i feel like i have done my part .

Reactions
*sigh*

It looks like we've reached some common ground. I've asked around, but I haven't gotten an answer. What do you think - do you surmise the delayed release is do to the BOV being electronic vs. vacuum-operated?
Turbosmart asked me to reach back out to them after i install it to see how it fits and what i think . I did so let's see if they just create a new part # on an existing product .

I think it all comes down to the limited demand .

QwikEVO

Reactions
Helps me think i'm cool and sound cool (y)(y)(y)

You want data....use Google .

To the rest of the members , if you like it buy it .

You will find that i will post my mods every time i add something . I add mod threads so others see there are options , in case they are on the fence . If i can create a thread , or add to an existing thread , to help at least 1 member make a positive decision towards their creation , then i feel like i have done my part .
I understand why you would post about adding parts to your ST...but I haven't seen any posted benefits to convince me to spend north of $200 to have an aftermarket recirc BOV when I already have an OEM recirc BOV that functions just the same, other than to say I have one.

Reactions
I understand why you would post about adding parts to your ST...but I haven't seen any posted benefits to convince me to spend north of $200 to have an aftermarket recirc BOV when I already have an OEM recirc BOV that functions just the same, other than to say I have one.
Like i said in the last post.....I do it for the ones that are on the fence . I am not here to convince someone that what i do is the correct way . Already had another member ask about it and then order it . He was on the fence and i answered his questions . My job is done there (y)

QwikEVO

Reactions
Like i said in the last post.....I do it for the ones that are on the fence . I am not here to convince someone that what i do is the correct way . Already had another member ask about it and then order it . He was on the fence and i answered his questions . My job is done there (y)
It's not about being correct, it's about why modify...

If people are "on the fence" about adding an aftermarket BOV, why? Just to say you did?

Reactions
It's not about being correct, it's about why modify...

If people are "on the fence" about adding an aftermarket BOV, why? Just to say you did?
OMG....this is like FerrariChat all over again . Just on a smaller scale .

Ok...i guess i will throw out the next questions for you .

Why not modify ?
Why question what people want to do with their own vehicle ?
What is the exact reason for you joining this forum ?

QwikEVO

Reactions
OMG....this is like FerrariChat all over again . Just on a smaller scale .

Ok...i guess i will throw out the next questions for you .

Why not modify ?
Why question what people want to do with their own vehicle ?
What is the exact reason for you joining this forum ?
1. If the stock BOV was insufficient for the application, yes, upgrade. If you want to go from recirc to VTA (which more power to ya, you'll get sick of that spacer after time), then by all means.

What you are implying is to change the BOV just to change it. It seems to me that in your situation, that's what you've done. You've not mentioned a turbo upgrade (which so far I don't think we have), nor have you mentioned a tune/increased boost level. It seems the only benefit is piece of mind, and not added performance benefit.

2. I suppose you can answer your second question with my first response.

3. My exact reason I joined this forum? To do research, understand more about this vehicle and its potential, and to share issues/concerns/modifications of my own to others. Also, to converse and find out why certain people did certain things to their vehicles. Now I feel it is well within my right to question the reasoning behind upgrades, as if it truly shows a benefit, then I would potentially do the same to my ST. I rarely do things "just to do them." Most of my performance upgrades that I have done to my vehicles have a well-defined reason for doing so.

If you don't like everyone's opinion that doesn't align with yours, then maybe the internet isn't for you. I feel like I've been nothing but respectful and polite in asking my questions...

Reactions
1. If the stock BOV was insufficient for the application, yes, upgrade. If you want to go from recirc to VTA (which more power to ya, you'll get sick of that spacer after time), then by all means.

What you are implying is to change the BOV just to change it. It seems to me that in your situation, that's what you've done. You've not mentioned a turbo upgrade (which so far I don't think we have), nor have you mentioned a tune/increased boost level. It seems the only benefit is piece of mind, and not added performance benefit.

2. I suppose you can answer your second question with my first response.

3. My exact reason I joined this forum? To do research, understand more about this vehicle and its potential, and to share issues/concerns/modifications of my own to others. Also, to converse and find out why certain people did certain things to their vehicles. Now I feel it is well within my right to question the reasoning behind upgrades, as if it truly shows a benefit, then I would potentially do the same to my ST. I rarely do things "just to do them." Most of my performance upgrades that I have done to my vehicles have a well-defined reason for doing so.

If you don't like everyone's opinion that doesn't align with yours, then maybe the internet isn't for you. I feel like I've been nothing but respectful and polite in asking my questions...
1. If there are insufficient OEM parts in an OEM vehicle , a recall is usually the next step . Why do you think the aftermarket industry is so huge ? Do you think it grew to it's size due to insufficiencies ?

2. Yes , i changed it just to change it.....i also added pink glitter paint and My Little Pony stickers to it . Who gives a crap what i did . turntablekinetix liked it and ordered it also so i helped at least 1 person make the decision . Did i tell him it made 100whp more....hell no !

3. You do have every right to ask questions but i would think as a smarter individual , which i think you are , you could steer away from just fishing . Like you said , "Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but maybe I'm asking to see what forced induction knowledge you have." Maybe i have no knowledge but it really isn't anyone's business if i do or do not...correct ?

4. Well defined reasons for mods ??? I think you wrote this also....." I too, did this with my SRT-4 back in 2003 when it was my first FI car. As I learned, I realized that when Mopar released a spacer that it just got super annoying because it "blew off" with any amount of throttle was released. I also did it on my '13 SHO and did the DIY VTA mod. With an automatic car, the "blow offs" weren't as pronounced as a manual transmission car, and it too would blow off at almost any throttle let off." I guess you are saying that your DIY VTA mod was essential for your Neon .

5. Again with the internet thing ??? The internet is definitely for me because how else am i going to find the parts for all my non-essential mods ;)

Let's just end this discussion like this.....I am going to mod my vehicle how i want to . Some people are going to like it and some are not , and i am quite ok if you don't . I am not going to provide some gigantic theory and scientific reasoning on why i did such mods . I do what i do for me and if others think it's cool and want to copy me , it's the highest form of flattery .

QwikEVO

Reactions
Actually the reason that I did the Mopar spacer is that I had next to no FI knowledge, and of course being my first turbo car, I wanted to make the "pssshhhht" noise. Later on down the road, I found out how annoying it was blowing off all the time. Later when I increased the boost level, I realized how inefficient the stock BOV was at holding boost, so I went aftermarket- and that inefficiency went away (and I had that Greddy Type S "laser" sound)

The VTA on my SHO? It served no performance upgrade at all. It was purely for the sound, once again. There was very little if any aftermarket available, and it cost me like $4 to do. I did it to see what it would be like at very little cost/time spent. I ended up putting it back to stock because I was sick of hearing it blow off all the time, and not just under boost.

But in the future, if you suggest someone do something - especially performance based - you might want to at least know the benefits of why you did it. Because not everyone is a lemming and copies people just because. There are inquisitive people out there like me who ask questions, and if you don't know why you did something...maybe that's why you've had such issues on other forums?

Reactions
link for the my little pony stickers?

i’m running a full time e50 tune.. down the road replacing the pump and running e85 and higher boost.. so i’m looking to switch out any and everything.. it’s a car, it’s a hobby.. don’t have to be an internet scientist to like hearing your car make noises.. i agree with both of you and many points, but why get all tough on a forum? everybody’s different.. let’s enjoy these things, cause honestly for the price, it’s a pretty cool platform.. i replaced a range rover with this ford and i’m pretty damn happy with it.. and i like it when my car makes loud noises.. btw, any dyno sheets on those pony stickers? i really am interested.

QwikEVO

Reactions
link for the my little pony stickers?

i’m running a full time e50 tune.. down the road replacing the pump and running e85 and higher boost.. so i’m looking to switch out any and everything.. it’s a car, it’s a hobby.. don’t have to be an internet scientist to like hearing your car make noises.
See, replacing a fuel pump due to added boost pressures and e50 makes perfect sense. You haven’t changed your fuel pump just to change it.

All these people who’ve done the spacer? Makes sense. Everyone loves a blowoff valve noise. I’ve been there.

I asked a simple question, and the answer was tap danced around. All he had to say was that he did it “just because.”

I don’t understand spending money on performance parts that won’t net me any performance gains, but hey...everyone’s different right?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
See, replacing a fuel pump due to added boost pressures and e50 makes perfect sense. You haven’t changed your fuel pump just to change it.

All these people who’ve done the spacer? Makes sense. Everyone loves a blowoff valve noise. I’ve been there.

I asked a simple question, and the answer was tap danced around. All he had to say was that he did it “just because.”

I don’t understand spending money on performance parts that won’t net me any performance gains, but hey...everyone’s different right?
"Just because" is the reason I usually give for buying my ST.

QwikEVO

Reactions
"Just because" is the reason I usually give for buying my ST.
When I spend $50K+ on something, I better have some better reasons than "just because" LOL

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
When I spend $50K+ on something, I better have some better reasons than "just because" LOL
I have a lot of good reasons for buying it. I've loved cars, especially hot ones, for years. I've owned a Corvette, a 396 Camaro, a Jaguar and a couple of Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokees. I spend years driving a Dodge Hemi powered Police car. It's just that trying to explain that to a lot of people doesn't work. So when they ask why a 70 something guy bought a car like this I tell them "because".

QwikEVO

Reactions
I have a lot of good reasons for buying it. I've loved cars, especially hot ones, for years. I've owned a Corvette, a 396 Camaro, a Jaguar and a couple of Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokees. I spend years driving a Dodge Hemi powered Police car. It's just that trying to explain that to a lot of people doesn't work. So when they ask why a 70 something guy bought a car like this I tell them "because".
Usually I say, “when you push the gas down on your SUV, does it make you smile? Mine does...”

And that’s usually all it takes lol

Reactions
This thread was like reading an argument between a dad and a teenager. Just silly missed opportunities to communicate better.

I gotta say this ST is like a MAN TOY so there are going to be a bunch of different desires. My kid loves those motor mount valves on his focus ST. I'll probably love an electric cutout drop pipe when they make them. Different strokes for different folks.

I saw one dude spend 5500 or some shit on replacing all the speakers in the car, there are going to be some projects and some of them will be vain/for show/useless to others... no need to be a dad or a kid in response to genuine interest... on either end.

KegsBdry

Reactions
No driving video as of yet. It really can’t be heard unless you have the windows down, radio off and driving semi aggressively. But to date we have had no issues with this mod.

We did have a weird CEL about a week ago, had the code ran and it said “coolant temp to low for thermostat rating” or something along those lines. Couldn’t reset it via scanner but disconnected the negate battery terminal, started it (didn’t go away), went out later that day and the CEL was gone. No issues since.

Our only current issue is the front passenger heated seat doesn’t work, and the recent recall letter we got for seat recliner or something like that.
My driver's side heated seat is also not working. Dropped it off at the dealership to get looked at (along with the 2 recalls) & they said they 'reset it.'. When I asked if they 'tested it,' they said 'no.' Yeah, still doesn't work. Going to dry the extra few minutes to go to the other dealership for now on.

But if I understand the difference between VTA and BOV, VTA only makes a sound difference. Right?