Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

VTA mod, am I the first?

Reactions
i will try to post a clip of mine but to be fair, i’m running an e50 tune with higher boost so it’ll sound a little louder

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thank you for the video. That's the second time I've heard the Boomba VTA doesn't 'quite' fit nicely. There is....extra steps.

Does that little VTA void the Factory Warranty? It's not a Ford part after all.

Reactions
i have no idea, i can’t answer that.. it’s technically just a spacer with vent openings.. i can’t imagine it would, but who knows.. maybe get friendly with your dealer’s service manager and ask?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Good point. Doesn’t hurt to call and find out. Or best case scenario, ask them to install the VTA so they are responsible for it.

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions
direct replacement.........

TURBOSMART TS-0223-1266

Installed and ready in less than 30 minutes

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
1. I wish people would stop calling these "blow off valves." They are spacers.

2. This spacer would only void a warranty if the dealership could prove that the part itself caused damage/failure. Look up the Magnusson - Moss act.

3. Can someone explain to me why our factory BOVs don't "snap" shut? Every Boomba BOV video I've seen the "blow off" sound a slow air leak, not a pronouced PSSSSSHT like any other VTA BOV I've ever heard. Does this happen to be because the OEM ST BOVs are electronic and not vacuum-operated?

Last edited:

QwikEVO

Reactions
direct replacement.........

TURBOSMART TS-0223-1266

Installed and ready in less than 30 minutes
On stock turbos at stock boost, exactly what is the benefit of this BOV?

Reactions
On stock turbos at stock boost, exactly what is the benefit of this BOV?
Noise... nothing more
but it’s a recirc BOV, just how much noise with a stock air box would you get?
I post things for others to see that there are options out there . You don't want it , don't buy it . You think it's a stupid idea and a waste of money , don't buy it !

I thought i left FerrariChat when i sold my car :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

QwikEVO

Reactions
I post things for others to see that there are options out there . You don't want it , don't buy it . You think it's a stupid idea and a waste of money , don't buy it !

I thought i left FerrariChat when i sold my car :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You're the one that posted the link to the Turbosmart BOV, I figured maybe you either had one or would be able to speak on its benefits over the stock BOV on a stock BOV system.

There are a lot of newbies out there to forced induction, so I was asking for them...and to see if you'd be able to speak on any benefits (if any). I'm guessing you can't speak on the benefits over stock.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
Reactions
You're the one that posted the link to the Steeda BOV, I figured maybe you either had one or would be able to speak on its benefits over the stock BOV on a stock BOV system.

There are a lot of newbies out there to forced induction, so I was asking for them...and to see if you'd be able to speak on any benefits (if any). I'm guessing you don't.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.
I didn't post any link for any Steeda products . Steeda , or any company for that matter , does not make a BOV for the Explorer ST . I posted that i found , bought and installed the TURBOSMART BOV....and it's an actual BOV and not just an adapter .

You have the screenname of QwikEVO and you are needing answers about forced induction . Oh yeah , you are asking for "them" o_O

There's always a few trying to poke the bear .

QwikEVO

Reactions
I didn't post any link for any Steeda products . Steeda , or any company for that matter , does not make a BOV for the Explorer ST . I posted that i found , bought and installed the TURBOSMART BOV....and it's an actual BOV and not just an adapter .

You have the screenname of QwikEVO and you are needing answers about forced induction . Oh yeah , you are asking for "them" o_O

There's always a few trying to poke the bear .
Sorry, edited my original post when I saw that you were speaking about Turbosmart. Was reading about Steeda in another thread and had it on the brain.

Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but maybe I'm asking to see what forced induction knowledge you have.

You still haven't answered my original question. I'm thinking you don't have an answer.

This isn't about "poking the bear," it's about asking real questions.

Reactions
Sorry, edited my original post when I saw that you were speaking about Turbosmart. Was reading about Steeda in another thread and had it on the brain.

Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but maybe I'm asking to see what forced induction knowledge you have.

You still haven't answered my original question. I'm thinking you don't have an answer.

This isn't about "poking the bear," it's about asking real questions.
Why not just come out and ask instead of fishing ? Seeing as how i modify everything i own and have had forced induction , whether OEM or aftermarket , on a ton of my vehicles , I consider myself to have a little bit of knowledge .

Master mechanic.....nope . Lots of experience on different platforms.....check .

turbo Integra
modified GMC Syclone
OEM Syclone
OEM Typhoon
modified Buick Grand National
slightly modified 2013 Explorer Sport
turbo Corvette
blown / fuel injected 454SS truck
Stage 3 Weistec C63 AMG
Boost Logic twin turbo Ferrari 360.....sold a month ago

QwikEVO

Reactions
Ok, so explain to me the added benefit of the blowoff valve you installed?

Have you upped the boost in your ST?
If you have, is the stock BOV not able to hold boost? Does it leak?

Most people are doing this Boomba spacer to convert their ST's BOV to VTA...I get it, some people love to hear their BOV. I too, did this with my SRT-4 back in 2003 when it was my first FI car. As I learned, I realized that when Mopar released a spacer that it just got super annoying because it "blew off" with any amount of throttle was released. I also did it on my '13 SHO and did the DIY VTA mod. With an automatic car, the "blow offs" weren't as pronounced as a manual transmission car, and it too would blow off at almost any throttle let off.

Generally, when people add BOV's their stock ones are inadequate for the boost levels they seek, or they leak/are inoperative. Or - they have recirc valves and want to VTA.

I'm asking you, and you haven't responded. You just got all sorts of defensive.

Reactions
and you know a BOV only helps....whether it barely helps in an OEM application or a lot in some built , 1+ bar monster

QwikEVO

Reactions
and you know a BOV only helps....whether it barely helps in an OEM application or a lot in some built , 1+ bar monster
Helps what? You've provided no data to back up any claims with this specific example (your ST).

Reactions
Ok, so explain to me the added benefit of the blowoff valve you installed?

Have you upped the boost in your ST?
If you have, is the stock BOV not able to hold boost? Does it leak?

Most people are doing this Boomba spacer to convert their ST's BOV to VTA...I get it, some people love to hear their BOV. I too, did this with my SRT-4 back in 2003 when it was my first FI car. As I learned, I realized that when Mopar released a spacer that it just got super annoying because it "blew off" with any amount of throttle was released. I also did it on my '13 SHO and did the DIY VTA mod. With an automatic car, the "blow offs" weren't as pronounced as a manual transmission car, and it too would blow off at almost any throttle let off.

Generally, when people add BOV's their stock ones are inadequate for the boost levels they seek, or they leak/are inoperative. Or - they have recirc valves and want to VTA.

I'm asking you, and you haven't responded. You just got all sorts of defensive.
I agree with you here which is why i wanted an actual BOV instead of a spacer . The video of the Boomba sounds weird to me because it's not just a quick release , it releases for a few seconds and sounds like an air leak .