Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission issues update

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Looks like the diff mount likely broke first.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like the diff mount likely broke first.
Agree. You can see it is tilted toward the rear and there is a good sized angle between the driveshaft and diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
So I was reading this tread the other day just because I was board and wanted to see what was going on.
what do you know just today I had a slam in 1 to 2 shift and the funny thing right before that when I put it in Reverse the camera had the blue screen. I was like WTF I just read about the screen/camera also.
both were a 1 time issue so far but I also have not drove to much after both issues. I hope this was a freak thing and dont keep up.
from day 1 when I put in reverse it takes for ever to get in gear and will actually roll forward some I have to put brakes on.

JR01

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer St
So after a week I finish Bally heard from the Ford dealer and the fem service writer tries to tell me that they partially inspected the veh and that the exhaust pipe fell onto the differential. So I called BS on that sent her the pictures and contacted the service manager and now they’re saying that the differential is blown it’s gonna take three weeks to get one and they won’t be able to test the transmission until after the differential is replaced which means at least another two weeks I have to wait for them to order me the transmission because I’m 99% sure it’s blown

JR01

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer St
Ford being difficult. Has had my veh one month. Says rear end needs to be completely replaced. It’s been a month and they’re saying that the parts probably at least another month away

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford being difficult. Has had my veh one month. Says rear end needs to be completely replaced. It’s been a month and they’re saying that the parts probably at least another month away
Do you know if they are replacing your subframe to the two bolt? If not, you are SOL because apparently it's a one time repair and if it happens again, it'll be on you.

JR01

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer St
I’m not sure. All they told me is that the complete rear end is being replaced. Was there today and my truck was buried deep in a sea of cop cars. I asked if they were there for the recall repair or if they have been damaged like mine. But the Porter told me he didn’t have any idea.

EODVince

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hi all,

Over here from my own post (https://www.explorerst.org/threads/transmission-grinding.4187/). Currently awaiting a new transmission and considering pursuing a buy back or replacement due to the length of time the vehicle has been out of/will be out of service.

Has anyone here decided to go the buyback route? My transmission nearly failed (had to limp it to the dealership with a terrible grinding noise, service techs found chunks of metal along with shavings in the trans pan when they dropped it).

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind just having the vehicle replaced. I’m not too keen on having a year old vehicle that has had this much work done to it, along with the unknown damage the transmission failure caused on the rest of the vehicle.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My Explorer ST shifts into Neutral between 1st and 2nd gear. It is extremely dangerous, as it immobilizes the car for a second or so, and then if you have your foot on the throttle the RPMs rise, then suddenly it will reengage in gear. This is extremely jarring when it happens. The easiest way to get the car to do it, is to put the car in manual mode and shift with the paddles. When you start from a stop, try to shift into second as fast as you can. About 5% of the time it will instead act like it is in neutral.

There is 2 major issues with this problem. One is if you aren't paying attention and keep your foot on the throttle it jams into gear and I am sure this is damaging the transmission and shortening its life. The second issue is that if you are turning across traffic and it happens, you are a sitting duck. Therefore you have to be patient when turning left in front of traffic.

Ford just released a recall for the F150 for this. However, I just talked with them and they indicated that there is no recall for the Explorer at this time.
My 2022 is doing this. No shift to second gear, losing throttle/transmission stall for a few seconds. Sometimes enters limp mode. Were you able to get a diagnosis/solution?

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Had a great convo with a Ford tech last week.
He said these 10 spd trans learn and sometimes learn wrong or learn to a day of spirited driving. Next time you drive it normally, it wants to shift hard as if it is being driven hard. In the older trans, like 6 speed, you could unhook battery and it would relearn. The 10 spd requires them to clear via odbc port for reset.
Additionally, he said Ford had a service procedure, not yet a service bulletin, in which they have found the actuators in the 10 spd are too tight causing unusual shifts sometimes ( mine bounced off rev limiter once and wouldn't shift). He said they put it on the lift, hook up computer, and the procedure runs the trans through the gears for about 30 mins to adjust to the actuators. They have done two 2020 and one 2021. Mine will be the second 2021 they have done, tomorrow. They see this a lot of the F150. He said to drive it normally, no wot or spirited driving for about 500-1000 miles afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. I'm experiencing similar symptoms - no shift from 1st to 2nd and I appear to be bouncing off the rev limiter, which is disengaging the transmission temporarily, and sometimes forcing the vehicle into limp mode. Mine is a 2022.

Reactions
I had the tsb for 10 spd actuators at around 2k miles after. Been flawless ever since.
They told me the same about the logic.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk