Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission issues update

Reactions
I have been dropped into the transmission problem hopper and am awaiting replacement valve body and solenoid. Almost everything I read mentions long delays, back orders and buyback investigations. How have these issues affected our “enthusiast” community. I, for one, don’t have the patience to put up with much of this BS on an almost $60K vehicle. Add the IC, the springs, the sway bar and tune...
What about y’all?

Rmans911

Reactions
With your tune, did your Ford service department say anything when you brought it in for transmission problems? My dealer did not after I removed a terrible 5Star Tune that very badly affected the transmission (shifting issues). I flashed back to the Ford stock tune and the transmission hanging and shifting problems never returned. I did bring it to dealer after retuning the car to stock tune and they didn’t mention the tune, but I do know they easily can see I had installed a tune prior to retuning to stock. Some folks have a hard time with their service departments not wanting to warranty transmissions due to the tune that was installed voiding the warranty. They couldn’t duplicate the issues and they updates some unrelated modules for me while the car was there, too.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
With your tune, did your Ford service department say anything when you brought it in for transmission problems? My dealer did not after I removed a terrible 5Star Tune that very badly affected the transmission (shifting issues). I flashed back to the Ford stock tune and the transmission hanging and shifting problems never returned. I did bring it to dealer after retuning the car to stock tune and they didn’t mention the tune, but I do know they easily can see I had installed a tune prior to retuning to stock. Some folks have a hard time with their service departments not wanting to warranty transmissions due to the tune that was installed voiding the warranty. They couldn’t duplicate the issues and they updates some unrelated modules for me while the car was there, too.
I had a RaceChip installed that I showed to the service manager several months ago. He said it would not be an issue. I did remove it before going in for the complaint.
When I first experienced the bucking transmission issues, it threw no codes so they just flashed the computer and sent me on my way.
It still bucked, etc, and even stopped a couple times as if it were in neutral. Definitely had codes after that. So now I’m waiting for a transmission valve body and a solenoid.
I have googled the transmission problems for this car and it is a black hole for delay, frustration, rage, and buy back inquires.
I was hoping that I could get some insight from those of us who enjoy this vehicle so much.
Thanks for your response.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have had the valve body and solenoid replaced on mine as well. So far it has not solved my transmission problems. I go back to my dealership on Monday for another scan and report.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I have had the valve body and solenoid replaced on mine as well. So far it has not solved my transmission problems. I go back to my dealership on Monday for another scan and report.
Thanks for responding. Mine is finally supposed to go in next week, assuming they have obtained the parts. In the mean time the ST continues to buck and sputter.
Please report on your next experience.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I went back and forth with the dealership 4 times. Crazy down shifts, leaking fluid 3 different times. They finally put an entire new trans and cooler in. So far so good but it’s only been about a month. I’m also suing Ford since they denied the buy back when they had the car over 50 days total!

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I went back and forth with the dealership 4 times. Crazy down shifts, leaking fluid 3 different times. They finally put an entire new trans and cooler in. So far so good but it’s only been about a month. I’m also suing Ford since they denied the buy back when they had the car over 50 days total!
In North Carolina where I am, I’m told they get four attempts and then it’s a lemon. Buy back will of course be discussed if necessary. If there are a significant (whatever that is) number of us, class action might make sense.
The reality for me is that I love the vehicle. I just want it fixed.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
In North Carolina where I am, I’m told they get four attempts and then it’s a lemon. Buy back will of course be discussed if necessary. If there are a significant (whatever that is) number of us, class action might make sense.
The reality for me is that I love the vehicle. I just want it fixed.
In Illinois it’s more than 30 days in the shop or 4 times. I surpassed the 30 days the first two times it was in the shop. I do love the car but it lost its excitement when all this happened. I know Ford will just settle but the car had 800 miles on it and the transmission went out.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
In Illinois it’s more than 30 days in the shop or 4 times. I surpassed the 30 days the first two times it was in the shop. I do love the car but it lost its excitement when all this happened. I know Ford will just settle but the car had 800 miles on it and the transmission went out.
Damn, that’s frustrating. Mine had 7K when it all started. I now have almost 11K. Fingers crossed, I reckon.

Reactions
What did it feel like when this first started showing symptoms? I'll notice from time to time mine hesitates and bucks lightly when starting from a complete stop. I'm coming from a vehicle that exhibits this behavior as a normal condition, it's just how the transmission works, so to me, having it happen in my Explorer isn't anything unnerving, but it would be good to know if it's a sign of things to come.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
What did it feel like when this first started showing symptoms? I'll notice from time to time mine hesitates and bucks lightly when starting from a complete stop. I'm coming from a vehicle that exhibits this behavior as a normal condition, it's just how the transmission works, so to me, having it happen in my Explorer isn't anything unnerving, but it would be good to know if it's a sign of things to come.
The first thing I noticed was a smell I could not identify and subsequently have come to decide it is transmission fluid. That has not been confirmed.
Next I experienced sharp bucking and jerking on down shifts into sixth gear. It now happens with engine breaking even with rev matching and with down shifting going up a steep hill or here in the mountains where I live.
I’ve had a few episodes where being in drive is like being in neutral and nothing happens as the RPM increase.
There is routinely a lag when starting off after being in reverse.
I fear the worst.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine feels like a "bumper tap" from the rear from another car. The best way I can describe what happens on mine. To this day when it happens in my ST I still look around to make sure I wasn't hit. Very annoying to say the least.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Mine feels like a "bumper tap" from the rear from another car. The best way I can describe what happens on mine. To this day when it happens in my ST I still look around to make sure I wasn't hit. Very annoying to say the least.
“Bumper Tap”, eh? Sounds like you’ve driven NASCAR!

Reactions
I think what I'm experiencing may just be a characteristic of this 10 speed auto. It's more of a brief hesitation in comparison to what everyone here is describing. It doesn't hesitate if I am very light on the throttle from a stop, or if I am very hard on the throttle from a stop, but rather if I am somewhere in between. I'll monitor it closely though. Thanks for the input.

Reactions
If only Ford had simply copied GM's trans tune from the Camaro ZL1...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
“Bumper Tap”, eh? Sounds like you’ve driven NASCAR!
That's funny! No NASCAR but have been pushed by a CHP when out of gas before.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Well, I got the ST back after not quite 2 weeks. Apparently they installed a “kit” to correct the problem. Kinda tells me the issue is prevalent enough to formulate a plan, short of a recall.
I had two hard down shifts on the way home, which is about 30 miles, up and down a mountain.
I will give it a little more time and drive in a more spirited manner a couple times before I take it back.
Looks like this will be a marathon, not a sprint!
Anyone else have news?

Reactions
Had a great convo with a Ford tech last week.
He said these 10 spd trans learn and sometimes learn wrong or learn to a day of spirited driving. Next time you drive it normally, it wants to shift hard as if it is being driven hard. In the older trans, like 6 speed, you could unhook battery and it would relearn. The 10 spd requires them to clear via odbc port for reset.
Additionally, he said Ford had a service procedure, not yet a service bulletin, in which they have found the actuators in the 10 spd are too tight causing unusual shifts sometimes ( mine bounced off rev limiter once and wouldn't shift). He said they put it on the lift, hook up computer, and the procedure runs the trans through the gears for about 30 mins to adjust to the actuators. They have done two 2020 and one 2021. Mine will be the second 2021 they have done, tomorrow. They see this a lot of the F150. He said to drive it normally, no wot or spirited driving for about 500-1000 miles afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Now we will see how it behaves.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I had an entire new transmission put in at 2800 miles. Something about the coolant box leaking I to the transmission and wrecking the seals.