Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission issues update

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
I had an entire new transmission put in at 2800 miles. Something about the coolant box leaking I to the transmission and wrecking the seals.
Well, I’m back at the dealer with my ST. I was able to recreate the transmission issues for the tech. He’s looking at it now.
Spoke with the service manager who told me they’ve had similar issues with the F150; same transmission. Says the transmission gets confused here in the mountains with all the shifting and relearning. He suggested maybe turning off the “learning” feature of the tranny.
Thoughts anyone?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm certainly not experienced in auto trans tuning, but there are several tables for the shift parameters. Each with slightly different values. At this point in my learning, I'm thinking to "turn off" the learning, you would copy one table to the others in a set, such that there is only one set of parameters. The same process is sometimes done in other tuning areas to make the process easier, or even to run tests on a particular set of values. Bottom line is that it requires a "tune" flashed to the TCM.

Reactions
he suggested maybe turning off the “learning” feature of the tranny.
Thoughts anyone?
I don't think that's possible.

All learning does is learn the pressures the trans can take or needs at various shift points for various gears to keep from slipping or grabbing to hard or fast. There isn't anything magic about it. There have been learning algorithms on transmissions for 30 years.

The overall trans tune from ford is garbage is the bigger problem. Go drive a chevy with the same transmission and the experience will be totally different. That's a big reason I will be tuning my st once zfg gets back at it.

Reactions
Now we will see how it behaves.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Got back from a trip to Morgantown, WV. Transmission behaved, after that service procedure, it's back to normal.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Got back from a trip to Morgantown, WV. Transmission behaved, after that service procedure, it's back to normal.

Been in touch with Ford Customer Service. I have a case number now. My dealership admits they have no idea what the problems are and I respect that. I want to keep the vehicle but I want it fixed. I still don’t think anyone knows what the root of the problem is! I will give them another chance before I pull the trigger.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for responding. Mine is finally supposed to go in next week, assuming they have obtained the parts. In the mean time the ST continues to buck and sputter.
Please report on your next experience.
Finally getting back to you on this. So I have had two different trips to the dleaership now. One for the valve body replacement that I mentioned above and still had slipping issues after I got it back.

I took it back the second time, and like the first time, they told me they would need to contact Ford and it takes 24-48 hours for a response. While I was waiting my Ford CS person called me back and told me the tech found a bad pigtail wire. And that he was confident that this was the issue so they ordered the new pigtail and replaced it. I got the car back and it did feel different, with more consistent shift patterns.

However, let me share my test drive after picking it up. I immediately went to an open frontage road and put it in Sport mode and did 3 real hard start-stops (for lack of a better term) to test the performance and shifting. Then proceeded to drive it pretty hard and aggressively for the next two days. By the end of that 2nd day it was slipping again.

And after reading the post in this thread about these transmissions needing to "learn" the shift points (or something to that affect) I am wondering if I am causing these issues by being to hard on the car when it first gets repaired.

Anyhoo....my experiences so far and wondering if anyone has any thoughts or input. Also getting ready to go back to the dealership for visit #3.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Someone may have just solved my transmission issue.....we will see what the adjuster says....

061021a.jpg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Bummer....or is it?

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Well, I’m back at the dealer with my ST. I was able to recreate the transmission issues for the tech. He’s looking at it now.
Spoke with the service manager who told me they’ve had similar issues with the F150; same transmission. Says the transmission gets confused here in the mountains with all the shifting and relearning. He suggested maybe turning off the “learning” feature of the tranny.
Thoughts anyone?
I live in Chicago. No damn mountains here. That’s nonsense.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I was at the Ford dealership today talking up to the guy who does the CAR LOANER program. He said there are a HIGH number of Fords in the shop for transmission issues (specifically). And with Ford slowing down on new vehicle builds and getting parts built (due to shortages of material/COVID delays), he said it's going to be a big problem until 2022! :oops::rolleyes:

That used vehicle of yours is going to be like the housing market (low inventory/high value).

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Bummer....or is it?
Its only a bummer if they don't total it. I haven't actually seen the car yet, just these photos but the CHP officer told me the rear tire is pushed 6" forward and sticking out a few inches. I'll have to see what that looks like in person. I will be going to the tow yard on Monday to clean the car out and get more in depth photos.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is it bad that I’m a little jealous. Glad you’re alright.
Thanks! My ST had actually quit running the morning this happened. I was about a mile from home heading to the freeway when it died. Called my wife to come get me and then took her car to work. This happened about an hour after I had left it. According to the CHP this may be a distracted driving case.

Save your jealousy until I find out if it is totaled or not. If they don't total it I will be jealous of all of you! Lol

Reactions
Thanks! My ST had actually quit running the morning this happened. I was about a mile from home heading to the freeway when it died. Called my wife to come get me and then took her car to work. This happened about an hour after I had left it. According to the CHP this may be a distracted driving case.

Save your jealousy until I find out if it is totaled or not. If they don't total it I will be jealous of all of you! Lol
I would blast Fords social media accounts with this, what if someone would have been in the car..... Its not like this is a new issue they seem to be pussy footing around instead of fixing the problem for those unlucky to get hit by them.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Further update on Santa’s Sleigh. I have another appointment end of the month. Nobody knows nuthin’. But, they told me they will get to the bottom of this issue. I also have a little better understanding of the “buyback” exercise. Depreciation, added accessories, you eat it!

Reactions
FYI: The ST does not have the same transmission as the F150.
Your right.
The Explorer to has the 10R60, which will also be in the new Bronco.
10R60 - light duty
10R80 - heavier duty
10R80-MHT for hybrids
10R140 - heavy duty

Great technical specs in the Bronco forum.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ssion-specs-gear-ratios-in-2021-bronco.17585/

Reminds me of the 6R50 vs 6R55. The 50 was the lighter duty version. The 55 was in bigger vehicles on that platform and used for the 3.5 Ecoboost.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
Your right.
The Explorer to has the 10R60, which will also be in the new Bronco.
10R60 - light duty
10R80 - heavier duty
10R80-MHT for hybrids
10R140 - heavy duty

Great technical specs in the Bronco forum.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ssion-specs-gear-ratios-in-2021-bronco.17585/

Reminds me of the 6R50 vs 6R55. The 50 was the lighter duty version. The 55 was in bigger vehicles on that platform and used for the 3.5 Ecoboost.

OP
Santa
Reactions
Thread Starter #39
Well, my Sleigh is on a 2 week sabbatical (so far) at the dealership. They have ordered a new tranny but no approval from Ford to put it in. They must demonstrate and prove “point of failure”. Apparently that requires breaking down the transmission. A “roller clutch” is suspected.
The service manager wants to put the new one in and junk the present one.
I’m just along for the ride now in my rented minivan! Grrrrrrrrrr...

KegsBdry

Reactions
Well, my Sleigh is on a 2 week sabbatical (so far) at the dealership. They have ordered a new tranny but no approval from Ford to put it in. They must demonstrate and prove “point of failure”. Apparently that requires breaking down the transmission. A “roller clutch” is suspected.
The service manager wants to put the new one in and junk the present one.
I’m just along for the ride now in my rented minivan! Grrrrrrrrrr...
Mini van?! I'm so sorry to hear the rental you got