Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The Thermal R&D cat back exhaust PREMIER!

Reactions
that is going to hit 100%, At least double that space IMO. can you not adjust the pipe to come out further? I'd bet you have another 3/4 in that slip joint that could come forward more.
That was actually after adjusting it because I noticed two days after I installed that it was sitting right against the differential. When I get back from vacation I'm going to loosen everything up to see if I can find a little more room between the two.

Reactions
Got the Thermal exhaust on - thanks @ron@whooshmotorsports - I absolutely love it. Even my wife made a comment of how much she likes the sound which I will chalk up as a win!
Dammmnnn....that wheel setup! What do ya' got on there?

Reactions
I know this may sound stupid, but I think the exposed/visible rear mufflers and the clamp on tips look too cheap or "stock"?. It gives the look as though someone just chopped the OE tips off their OE exhaust. Same with the Borla (minus the clamped on tips, but I'm not crazy about their rolled tips). I appreciate how with the Corsa and Magnaflow, you can't see a muffler when you're looking at it from the rear. When you go with an aftermarket exhaust, sound and performance are usually the key drivers, but looks matter too. There always seems to be a compromise, can't quite find the one that checks all my boxes (yet).

balkda2

Reactions
Ugg, this is so tempting. I just got my ST last saturday and told myself I was going to wait until June for a exhaust.

F=MA

Reactions
Hi thanks for asking. My twin brother is either busy and/or shy right now so I will answer your questions. Those are Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 305/35ZR22 tires. Order them from Simple Tire while they are in stock. Tire Rack only had two lately and they think they are being discontinued. Simple Tire had about 100 in stock. The wheels are BC Forged EH309's 22x10.5 +30 offset using the maximum concavity available to be determined by BC Forged for the application. You have a choice of center cap colors. The color is gloss black. You will need to buy a set of four tire pressure monitors or re-use the stock TPM. If replacing with new use your VIN to determine which frequency you need. You can get discounted OEM monitors from Blue Springs Ford. I believe you want the type that can be retrained. The batteries are molded inside the tire pressure monitors and they may last 5 to 8 years on average. You will probably end up using the same tire pressure as the OEM tires which is 33 psi cold. Wheel lug nut torque is 150 ft-lbs. Ask ahead of time if you can get black wheel weights to stick on the inner rim. If not you can use a large black sharpie to blacken up the silver wheel weights. This turned out to be my favorite wheel and tire combination, so far, and I have spent days trying to second guess myself, photoshopping every other BC Forged wheel I could find onto my vehicle and at the end of day it rocks. I plan to use my Gorilla wheel locks on the set I have coming in a few weeks. You can receive the tires in about three days but it takes an average of 5 weeks to get these wheels shipped. Expect to spend $1600 on the tires, $4100 on the wheels, $200ish for the tire pressure monitors and about $100 on the wheel locks. This wheel and tire combo looks like crap on a stock height ST so plan on lowering your vehicle with either Steeda or H&R lowering springs. Spring are in the $300 range and swapping out the stock springs, wheel balance/alignment and headlight readjustment can cost another $500 to $600 at the dealer.
4042-95860fb0f70cfb5ca631fb357eb840b4.jpg

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
That answer reminds me of Jim Carrey in Pet Detective. What do you know about Ray Finkle?

rrizzo123

Reactions
You got a much better angle than I did :) Yes, same issue as most of us. I guess in the end it's just an annoyance vs a real "problem". If you're going to the dealer anyways I guess you might as well get the "fix" but as you can see from my video it doesn't do too much to help.
Guys I have a question - going to buy this thermal exhaust but want to know what is the difference between the Thermal Cat back exhaust and the Cat Back plus the down pipes? not sure which one to buy. Thanks

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Guys I have a question - going to buy this thermal exhaust but want to know what is the difference between the Thermal Cat back exhaust and the Cat Back plus the down pipes? not sure which one to buy. Thanks
The difference is one is the exhaust from mid pipes back and the other includes the mid pipes that install to your downpipes. So the full would be 2.5 all the way back from downpipes. I have the thermal and love the sound of it and no drone.

REO1378

Reactions
I wish I had found this thread before getting the Borla S-Type installed. The Thermal R&D 2.5" downpipe back exhaust system seems like a better set up.

Reactions
Anyone have clips with downpipes installed as well?

Gokussj4

Reactions
Glad I came across this thread. Since I plan to add an exhaust with mid pipes soon. Any sound clips with this set up ? Meaning not just a cat back but mid pipe section as well ...
don’t know if someone has done a comparison with catted down pipes...

OP
Kevin 1456
Reactions
Thread Starter #153
Glad I came across this thread. Since I plan to add an exhaust with mid pipes soon. Any sound clips with this set up ? Meaning not just a cat back but mid pipe section as well ...
don’t know if someone has done a comparison with catted down pipes...
the videos i posted are a full cat back system.
the cats are, for the most part connected to the engine, anything after that (including mid pipes) is a cat back

Reactions
back in stock !
everyone that ordered will see a tracking number today

thank you for the orders and most of all your patience

-Ron

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
back in stock !
everyone that ordered will see a tracking number today

thank you for the orders and most of all your patience

-Ron
Can't wait to see it come through!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just got my shipping confirmation from Whoosh.

Did I make a good decision?
In my opinion, you did. Of all the exhausts that I've seen listed, the Thermal is the only one that I would purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just got my shipping confirmation from Whoosh.

Did I make a good decision?
Haven't installed mine, but it's sitting in my garage. Looks high quality, and sounds great in the clips I've listened to. Also, it's the only one that's truly cat-back so you replace the crappy Ford flex joints. I'd say you made the right choice!

Reactions
Haven't installed mine, but it's sitting in my garage. Looks high quality, and sounds great in the clips I've listened to. Also, it's the only one that's truly cat-back so you replace the crappy Ford flex joints. I'd say you made the right choice!
I'm only moderately mechanically inclined (handy but far from a pro), Do you think I can install it myself? If so what do I need to have on hand to complete the job?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Like any exhaust system, it's pretty simple. Basic ratchet and socket set should do it. I see no reason anyone couldn't install it . I know the factory system is pretty bulky, not sure if you need a second person for that.