Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The Thermal R&D cat back exhaust PREMIER!

Reactions
black tips arrived - shipping all kits!
thanks for the order

oh, this weekend the pre-order price goes up!
grab your kit while you can at the pre-order price
What am I missing? Is the preorder price less than what’s listed on the site or is the price for DP back increasing beyond $1600?

Reactions
What am I missing? Is the preorder price less than what’s listed on the site or is the price for DP back increasing beyond $1600?
I believe it goes to the $1994 price

Reactions
Thanks. Where did you see that price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Oh right lol. Saw that but forgot.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Today I picked up the New Thermal R&D CatBack exhaust system for our ST.

First ill start by saying how awesome it was working with Thermal and also getting a cat back exhaust system for FREE*, also a HUGE thank you to Ron at Whoosh Performance for making this possible.

* took about 600 miles of driving back and forth 4 times and renting a trailer to tow the recon ranger.

second the quality of their work is amazing, the tube work is done from 2.5" 304SS, Mig welded and clamped together. The rear tips came out great, and definitely add much needed styling to the car.
The sound is great, no rasp like the Borla and cruising highway speeds in tow mode there was ZERO drone at 60MPH and 1900 RPM. When climbing a grade the engine is now like a growling tiger but not overly annoying. I would have loved to get video of highway sound, but people drive like idiots here, so if i had one hand on the wheel and another holding the camera, i wouldnt have had a free hand to flip off the asshole who would inevitably cut me off and hit the brakes.

as for cost, I cannot say for sure as I dont work for TRD, but they are confident it will be cheaper than the counter parts on the market, thats including the mid pipes, which apparently the other manufacturers dont offer.

Overall, its a fantastic system. Not overly obnoxious when you're driving like a responsible adult, and very noticeable when you're on the pedal.

HERES THE VIDEO------>
Forgive my rookie questions. The kit pictured shows the TRD mid pipes not stock correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheJonse

Reactions
My system arrived today. Many thanks Kevin, Ron and Thermal!

Good job it's trash day tomorrow as the amount of packaging was seriously impressive.

I will be fitting it myself which will be a first, so I also have some noob questions.

Is there any need for any rtv on the joints or clamps? Or is it case of it shouldn't need it but if you find a leak then do it?

And where do these tubes go?

Cheers!

Screenshot_20210223-105610~2.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Where in the Bay Area are you? Would love to hear this in person once you get it installed.

TheJonse

Reactions
Where in the Bay Area are you? Would love to hear this in person once you get it installed.
I'm in the East bay - San Ramon.

Just waiting for some super high wheel cribs to arrive and then I will give it a go. I have the fenfab downpipes to go on too, so I am expecting a fun time trying to do it!

Reactions
My system arrived today. Many thanks Kevin, Ron and Thermal!

Good job it's trash day tomorrow as the amount of packaging was seriously impressive.

I will be fitting it myself which will be a first, so I also have some noob questions.

Is there any need for any rtv on the joints or clamps? Or is it case of it shouldn't need it but if you find a leak then do it?

And where do these tubes go?

Cheers!

View attachment 4275
Did you get an answer for this

OP
Kevin 1456
Reactions
Thread Starter #115
those are adapters to use the stock mid pipes if you want to tone down the exhaust a little.

no need for rtv, it should be a slip and clamp fit.

Last edited:
Reactions
those are adapters to use the stock mid pipes if you want to tone down the exhaust a little.

so after a few months how is the exhaust holding up?

OP
Kevin 1456
Reactions
Thread Starter #117
so after a few months how is the exhaust holding up?
great.
just got under it to wipe the tips off and clean the mufflers and its still spotless. however i live in southern California so we dont have horrible weather. the sound has increased over the months due to the fiberglass packing settling in.

TheJonse

Reactions

Awesome, thanks for the reply

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Got mine installed today. Would have been quicker with a lift or if I jacked the vehicle. I did it without jacking. Took close to 2 hours. The forward left mid pipe to down pipe keeps having a tiny leak. I loosened that side back up from down pipe to mid pipe side and made sure it was seated all the way foward and it’s still has a tiny leak.

TheJonse

Reactions
Got mine installed today. Would have been quicker with a lift or if I jacked the vehicle. I did it without jacking. Took close to 2 hours. The forward left mid pipe to down pipe keeps having a tiny leak. I loosened that side back up from down pipe to mid pipe side and made sure it was seated all the way foward and it’s still has a tiny leak.

This is good to know, I am fitting mine and DPs tomorrow.

I have invested in some jacking wheel cribs, so I can get it a couple of feet off the ground, I may live to regret this when I still cant get the down pipes off!