Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The Thermal R&D cat back exhaust PREMIER!

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Installed Thermal system, pretty easy to install especially with a second set of hands. Looks great, needs to tweak passenger side tips a little, but overall looks and sounds great. Now to figure out how to disable the fake engine noise with FORScan.

Reactions
I just noticed the Thermal system, along with MBRP, uses 2.5in tubing vs 2.25in for Borla....that I do like.

Croix

Reactions
Not to revive too old of a thread - but those with the Thermal exhaust with black coated tips - how well has the coating held up? What kind of coating/process is used on that? I like the looks more than the chrome, but don't want to end up with black tips where the coating fades, chips or begins pealing off over time.

OP
Kevin 1456
Reactions
Thread Starter #185
i have the first system built and the black coating is holding up beautifully.

i believe they are black powder coat. think thats what thermal told me.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Can you be more specific ? I’m not sure I know what your talking about. What do I exactly do with a ratchet and a deep socket 15mm?
The clamps for the exhaust are 15mm nuts. You need the deep well to fit because the stud length of the clamps will be to long for a shallow socket.

Reactions
Man ...I know im going to get some heat with this lol...but I'm still torn on the Thermal vs MBRP system.

OP
Kevin 1456
Reactions
Thread Starter #189
mbrp sounds like all their other exhaust systems, like shit and basically stock form without a resonator.

Reactions
Choose whatever sounds best for you! Every ear hears differently. I suggest searching other forums as well as big ticket items are a hard choice. If ever in Palm beach FL you can drive and listen to my Thermal.

Tommy

Reactions
I ordered the Thermal yesterday. I had a TR&D on my 95 Talon AWD back in the day and it sounded amazing. I’ve had the windows down the past few days and the OEM rattle is annoying the piss out of me.

until then I’m just hitting the refresh button on my browser waiting for the ZFG tunes to show up!

Reactions
What size are the tips on the thermal exhaust?
from the product description on our site :

Exclusively available at whoosh motorsports, the Thermal R&D 2020+ Explorer ST cat back exhaust system

• 2.5” T304 Stainless Steel performance exhaust system
  • Mounts to OEM or SPD catalytic converters/downpipes
  • Utilized OEM Hangers, Tips Fits OEM Valance
  • Brush finish tubing, polished tips, mufflers and resonator
  • Black coated tips
  • 3.5" dual Angle cut tips
  • FREE SHIPPING in the USA (CONUS)

Reactions
I ordered the Thermal yesterday. I had a TR&D on my 95 Talon AWD back in the day and it sounded amazing. I’ve had the windows down the past few days and the OEM rattle is annoying the piss out of me.

until then I’m just hitting the refresh button on my browser waiting for the ZFG tunes to show up!
I had a 1G DSM long ago, saw many Thermals on other peoples' cars. I have the Thermal on my Focus ST and it's amazing. No drone, aggressive tone.

I imagine it would be a great exhaust for the Explorer ST too.

KozzyJr

Reactions
from the product description on our site :

Exclusively available at whoosh motorsports, the Thermal R&D 2020+ Explorer ST cat back exhaust system

• 2.5” T304 Stainless Steel performance exhaust system
  • Mounts to OEM or SPD catalytic converters/downpipes
  • Utilized OEM Hangers, Tips Fits OEM Valance
  • Brush finish tubing, polished tips, mufflers and resonator
  • Black coated tips
  • 3.5" dual Angle cut tips
  • FREE SHIPPING in the USA (CONUS)
Thanks for the info. Any chance there is a 4 inch tip option?

Reactions
Thanks for the info. Any chance there is a 4 inch tip option?
sorry no, we've actually removed the polished tip option too
the only options now are "with mid pipes" or "without mid pipes"
all black tips

Reactions
LOL I had a 90 Eclipse gsx with so many modes I can't remember but damn it was quick as anything! Embarrassed everyone with consistent back to back low 11's. Then I got the Lotus and started road racing. So much more fun!. Got a 2013 Focus ST which I did nominal mods to but gave that to my nephew who has already put tons of mods in. Damn he got a great car! Now I love my Explorer ST and the thermal is just awesome! Not as aggressive as the Arquay in the Lotus but absolutely no drone or annoying sounds to the neighbor if driving normally. Now when throttle is mashed that is pure heaven to me.
Tommy

Reactions
So sorry to hear about polished tips as I feel that is what really stands out. But then I am old school. Mid pipes are a must!

Reactions
sorry no, we've actually removed the polished tip option too
the only options now are "with mid pipes" or "without mid pipes"
all black tips
Ron- this post reminded me to reach out. Ordered this kit 7/23. What's timing looking like?