Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync Navigation Update

LokiWolf

Reactions
But what's the benefit of making sure it's updated to the latest build number? Does it change anything other than the build number?
Latest build isn’t always best. But newer builds have fixes, some introduce new problems.

19101 was good, 19200 was good, 20021 was REALLY buggy. 20136 fixed the bugs, and seemed to bring some performance improvement to the 10 Inch screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #42
Latest build isn’t always best. But newer builds have fixes, some introduce new problems.

19101 was good, 19200 was good, 20021 was REALLY buggy. 20136 fixed the bugs, and seemed to bring some performance improvement to the 10 Inch screen.

have you been able to do any of those updates over the air via the vehicles wifi or were they all with a usb stick?

I have build 19274 so ran the in-vehicle update and it says vehicle up to date.

LokiWolf

Reactions
have you been able to do any of those updates over the air via the vehicles wifi or were they all with a usb stick?

I have build 19274 so ran the in-vehicle update and it says vehicle up to date.
I ended up skipping 19274 on the ST, but ran it on my Expedition. It is a good build.

All of those builds were done using downloaded files all except one were sourced from CyanLabs before they started using the new program that downloads for you.

None of these were done via Ford, so therefore WiFi is not an option. I have never waited for Ford to release via Over the Air. For over a year, Ford actually wasn’t doing updates over the air regardless of them saying they were. They are now, but it is slower and not released as quick as via download on USB.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
20136 is in Production, that doesn’t mean it was released to all VIN/ESN at once.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
After driving around quite a bit today, I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination that this latest build (20136) has some substantial improvements in performance. Switching between main menus (Home -> Navigation -> Audio) is much faster and far more responsive. Even the 3D map display I use looks smoother driving around town. Up to now, I have not experienced any of the other issues folks have noticed such as missing camera images, but I sure didn't see anything like that today. Cautiously optimistic, I am!

Ken

LokiWolf

Reactions
After driving around quite a bit today, I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination that this latest build (20136) has some substantial improvements in performance. Switching between main menus (Home -> Navigation -> Audio) is much faster and far more responsive. Even the 3D map display I use looks smoother driving around town. Up to now, I have not experienced any of the other issues folks have noticed such as missing camera images, but I sure didn't see anything like that today. Cautiously optimistic, I am!

Ken
Been running it for Months. I 100% agree. 20136 is by far the best build so far for these 10 Inch units.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Let’s clarify several things.

1)CyanLabs uses actual Ford files.
2)If running the most recent from CyanLabs you might be using “Beta” software.
3)CyanLabs use to link to the files and give instructions, now they actually have a program that assists you.

In this case the most recent I am using from CyanLabs is 20136, but I have been running it for several Months. There might be an even newer version now, but haven’t checked in over a week.

Full disclosure I ran Beta Sync versions before CyanLabs became a thing last Fall. There are some really smart forums out there that find/get the files. I use to compile them and install them. Many others did too. CyanLabs has brought that process to more people and made it way more user friendly.

4) Not all APIM(FORSCAN) settings are affected all the time by the update. If you just do an OS update, with out the Map update from CyanLabs there is no format and most settings will be retained. Even a Format will still retain some, because they are in a different area of storage on the APIM.

I appreciate that CyanLabs exists to help installs become more straight forward for those accepting Ford's faults. I'm one of those that worry way too much about screwing up the warranty. It's frustrating that it takes several attempts and hours of attempts to get build updates installed. I hope it gets better.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I appreciate that CyanLabs exists to help installs become more straight forward for those accepting Ford's faults. I'm one of those that worry way too much about screwing up the warranty. It's frustrating that it takes several attempts and hours of attempts to get build updates installed. I hope it gets better.
Been dealing with Sync 3 for close to 5 years now. Starting with my 2016 Edge Sport. The vehicle my ST replaced. This is my 5th Ford with Sync 3. I have probably updated 50+ vehicles in those 5 years. Not a rookie at this.

It has gotten better. I have done many updates through the years via the Ford Download page. Older pre Rev 3.0 of Sync 3(we are currently on 3.4 20136) were more of a pain to install, but doable. Quality Flash drives helped.

Again, I have A LOT of experience with Sync. Have actually taught my local dealers internet sales team how to do updates in the past, when the update to version 2.2 added the CarPlay ability.

You seem comfortable with Tech. You can keep beating your head against the wall, or go the path that works. I choose to go the path that works.

Is it possible it could cause a warranty issue, Yes. Likely hood is slim to none. If it bombs you take it in, say it did an over the air update, and never came back. They reload the APIM with the Shop system, and boom, back to working.

Only had an issue with one, a 2018 Mustang GT. Bombed half way through. Service department reloaded the APIM and it worked, then they applied the update and it bombed. They performed Diags on the APIM and it had a bad memory module. Replaced it, and good to go. All covered under warranty.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Been dealing with Sync 3 for close to 5 years now. Starting with my 2016 Edge Sport. The vehicle my ST replaced. This is my 5th Ford with Sync 3. I have probably updated 50+ vehicles in those 5 years. Not a rookie at this.

It has gotten better. I have done many updates through the years via the Ford Download page. Older pre Rev 3.0 of Sync 3(we are currently on 3.4 20136) were more of a pain to install, but doable. Quality Flash drives helped.

Again, I have A LOT of experience with Sync. Have actually taught my local dealers internet sales team how to do updates in the past, when the update to version 2.2 added the CarPlay ability.

You seem comfortable with Tech. You can keep beating your head against the wall, or go the path that works. I choose to go the path that works.

Is it possible it could cause a warranty issue, Yes. Likely hood is slim to none. If it bombs you take it in, say it did an over the air update, and never came back. They reload the APIM with the Shop system, and boom, back to working.

Only had an issue with one, a 2018 Mustang GT. Bombed half way through. Service department reloaded the APIM and it worked, then they applied the update and it bombed. They performed Diags on the APIM and it had a bad memory module. Replaced it, and good to go. All covered under warranty.

You seem techie like me. I like to see how things work and I want them to work the way they are intended. On this one, I'm going to 'try' the less frustrated road first. I'm due for an oil change in 2k miles. After taking it in, I'm going to ask they update the build #. After that, I may try your method if needed. I can't promise they'll say it costs me money. If so, I'll be right back in this forum for questions to do it on my own 'again'.

I gave Ford Sync a piece of my mind yesterday. Telling them their update process $ucks! Auto update doesn't do $hit.

thank you for your good advice.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #50
thank you for your good advice.
I'm going to thumbs up this. Thank you so much @LokiWolf for coming in here and helping out. its really appreciated.

You mention that CyanLabs gets the actual ford builds files and then just makes a "tool" that compiles them and formats a stick correctly and does the "dirty work" for you--easy enough. except if you have a Mac and haven't bothered setting up a virtual machine. is there a place to get those build files yourself and instructions how to do the construction of the stick yourself? would you mind making a little tutorial for this forum on how to do the things you are describing? im sure others might be in the same boat as me and would love a guide if we wanted to do this ourselves.

Reactions
It looks like the Sync update site is down for maintenance. It has been since yesterday.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Expect it to be down for a day or two ... apparently a file was not included in the original "release" which didn't update Sirius (and maybe some other things) properly. I got a side copy direct from a Ford engineer who was helping me after I id'd the issue, and after getting that file, my update worked fine. My guess would be the corrected download will be there in the next day or so.

Worth the wait ...

Ken

LokiWolf

Reactions
Just go get it from CyanLabs if you have a Windows PC, or a Mac with a Windows VM. I can post links to tutorial for those Mac Users later today or tomorrow when I can get back to a none Tablet/Phone. They are out there...no need to write them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions

Thank you for all of your advise through this. My build is 19274, after looking on CyanLabs I'm assuming you download version 2.1.1.1.

Do y'all feel like it's worth going through a downgrade process from 19274 to be able to then install 20136?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi, anyone know if this is a new update or an old 'new' update (see pic)? took ~ 30 mins. Does the car need to be running? I see conflicting information on the internet... I left it running (I was around) and it shut off when finished.

Attachments

LokiWolf

Reactions
Thank you for all of your advise through this. My build is 19274, after looking on CyanLabs I'm assuming you download version 2.1.1.1.

Do y'all feel like it's worth going through a downgrade process from 19274 to be able to then install 20136?
If you already have the newest Maps you don’t have to do the downgrade. You just update Apps(OS).

20196 is now the newest version available from CyanLabs...

LokiWolf

Reactions
Hi, anyone know if this is a new update or an old 'new' update (see pic)? took ~ 30 mins. Does the car need to be running? I see conflicting information on the internet... I left it running (I was around) and it shut off when finished.
Was this update done via CyanLabs or on the radio. If it was the update on the Radio, it is downloading 20136.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Was this update done via CyanLabs or on the radio. If it was the update on the Radio, it is downloading 20136.

It was done via the Radio in car..

KegsBdry

Reactions
It was done via the Radio in car..
How are you all getting that build 20136 downloaded from the radio? I'm still on 19101. :mad::mad::mad:

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #60
How are you all getting that build 20136 downloaded from the radio? I'm still on 19101. :mad::mad::mad:
I think it helps to have your car connected to your house's WiFi. I was pushed 20136 on Sept 5th.