Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync Navigation Update

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
So I just got pushed to my FordPass App an update for the Sync Navigation. Looks like a 15GB download and fairly simple USB update install. However, it says it could take up to an hour and the vehicle needs to be running the entire time... Anyone done this yet? I mostly use WAZE so I'm not too concerned about the built-in navigation being out of date but is there other stuff in this update other than updated maps, like bug fixes?

Reactions
Following

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine took a little less than an hour. Picked a time when I knew I'd be stuck in traffic!! The updates don't change the build number of Sync, so I doubt there was anything there. Maps now showing 1 19.

Easy as can be and the price is right!! I would strongly urge using a USB 3.0 memory stick ... makes things work much better.

Ken

Reactions
Ordered the thumb drives for my ST and wife’s Escape. Install went smooth. But they need a better way to do this without running the car for an hour.

For some reason, they sent me 2 more thumb drives, by mistake I assume.

Does anyone know if these are keyed to the VIN or can they be used on other vehicles?

Reactions
Ordered the thumb drives for my ST and wife’s Escape. Install went smooth. But they need a better way to do this without running the car for an hour.

For some reason, they sent me 2 more thumb drives, by mistake I assume.

Does anyone know if these are keyed to the VIN or can they be used on other vehicles?
Where do you order it? I've looked on my fordpass app but didn't see anything. So they actually send you a physical thumb drive?

LokiWolf

Reactions
Why pay for the drives? Just download and put on your own. You can get twice the size drive for less money from BestBuy or Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There's a download instructional pdf that accompanies the map download. Some people are just not tech savvy enough to do what it takes to properly setup the thumb drive. I thought the thumb drives were US$30 which isn't that much really.

Reactions
on my 17 XLT, downloaded the Sync Update onto a thumb drive. The drive had to be formated a certain way prior to downloading and then updating took about 4 attempts until it actually worked. Getting a thumb drive directly from ford is much easier.

i hope they will offer ThumbDrives for Sync updates too!

LokiWolf

Reactions
on my 17 XLT, downloaded the Sync Update onto a thumb drive. The drive had to be formated a certain way prior to downloading and then updating took about 4 attempts until it actually worked. Getting a thumb drive directly from ford is much easier.

i hope they will offer ThumbDrives for Sync updates too!
Or just go to CyanLabs.net and download both via the updater.

I have never had trouble. There are many instructions out there for how to do it. If you built the drive correctly, the Ford drive is not going to be any different. Sometimes Sync 3 needs a reboot before you place the update drive in.

Currently if your VIN is showing a Sync Version behind the current release, the update for Sync will be included on the Flash drive from Ford.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, I used the cyanlabs downloader too. Easy peasy for 1.19 map and 20136 Sync 3.4 firmware.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just finished my ST SUV Experience and took a picture of their ‘latest Sync 3 & Build #’ in the Explorer I was driving. There build is @ 19200 but mine is @ 19191. It was much faster/responsive and had little things to show it was different (CANCEL ROUTE button was present on the map).

When I go to UPDATE my SYNC 3, while it’s connected via WiFi to my phone, it says it is already update to date. How do I get the latest build without leaving my car on for an hour & dealing with USBs?!

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
Just finished my ST SUV Experience and took a picture of their ‘latest Sync 3 & Build #’ in the Explorer I was driving. There build is @ 19200 but mine is @ 19191. It was much faster/responsive and had little things to show it was different (CANCEL ROUTE button was present on the map).

When I go to UPDATE my SYNC 3, while it’s connected via WiFi to my phone, it says it is already update to date. How do I get the latest build without leaving my car on for an hour & dealing with USBs?!
You don’t. To get the latest build, CyanLabs.net and a little time with USB drives. It really is easy. I just drive while it is doing it.

KegsBdry

Reactions
You don’t. To get the latest build, CyanLabs.net and a little time with USB drives. It really is easy. I just drive while it is doing it.

What build is your SYNC 3 now? Did you notice any real fixes? My Bluetooth gets disconnected a few times in a row but then levels out after disconnect 3 or 4. It really annoys me.

LokiWolf

Reactions
What build is your SYNC 3 now? Did you notice any real fixes? My Bluetooth gets disconnected a few times in a row but then levels out after disconnect 3 or 4. It really annoys me.
20136. No issues with BT. 20136 is quicker than previous versions in my opinion.

KegsBdry

Reactions
After getting off the phone with Ford Sync, they keep dancing around the Build # as though it means nothing. I’d like to get the latest version from Ford. Does anyone know what that is?

KegsBdry

Reactions
I put in my information to get the Sync MAP UPDATE for free. This is also going to take over an hour to update. This only updates the map information, right?

https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

LokiWolf

Reactions
I put in my information to get the Sync MAP UPDATE for free. This is also going to take over an hour to update. This only updates the map information, right?

https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home
Not always. In some cases it will include a newer OS(Build). Sometimes a newer build is needed to use the newer Map Data if it is organized or retrieved differently or if there is a known bug related to maps in a previous version.

Several that have done the Map Update on multiple Ford vehicles lately have gotten OS updates at the same time.

LokiWolf

Reactions
After getting off the phone with Ford Sync, they keep dancing around the Build # as though it means nothing. I’d like to get the latest version from Ford. Does anyone know what that is?
The current production version last I checked for 3.4 is 19200, what you saw on the ST that you took a pic of.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Not always. In some cases it will include a newer OS(Build). Sometimes a newer build is needed to use the newer Map Data if it is organized or retrieved differently or if there is a known bug related to maps in a previous version.

Several that have done the Map Update on multiple Ford vehicles lately have gotten OS updates at the same time.

That's great news, so I should start with the map update! Thanks