Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync Navigation Update

Reactions
So I just got pushed to my FordPass App an update for the Sync Navigation. Looks like a 15GB download and fairly simple USB update install. However, it says it could take up to an hour and the vehicle needs to be running the entire time... Anyone done this yet? I mostly use WAZE so I'm not too concerned about the built-in navigation being out of date but is there other stuff in this update other than updated maps, like bug fixes?
I did. Took about an hour. No issues.

KegsBdry

Reactions
That's great news, so I should start with the map update! Thanks
1st attempt, got an error stating to reload the drive. Followed the instructions but that's the way it goes. Will spend another hour reloading/exporting the files to the USB drive again. :confused:

LokiWolf

Reactions
1st attempt, got an error stating to reload the drive. Followed the instructions but that's the way it goes. Will spend another hour reloading/exporting the files to the USB drive again. :confused:
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Mine went through in a little over an hour with no issues

KegsBdry

Reactions
After my 5th attempt: re-downloading & reloading the USB drive, I've determined it might be my USB drive. I'm planning on attempting again on another day. :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions
What method did you use?
The free download. Used a 16gb SanDisk USB. Followed the instructions of setting up the USB drive and put the license file in the correct folder ( with it properly named ). Took about 2 hours to download ( at work ) another 30 min or so to transfer everything to the USB & installed the update on my drive home. I'm hoping this will help with my intermittent Bluetooth connection issues but made the system more responsive.

Used this link https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

Reactions
After my 5th attempt: re-downloading & reloading the USB drive, I've determined it might be my USB drive. I'm planning on attempting again on another day. :mad::mad::mad:
This is the updated verison of the USB I have used to update my Ford's for the past 7 years or so and never had an issue
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077Y149DL/ref=sr_1_9?crid=A0GGP6K8ZK9H&dchild=1&keywords=scan+disk+usb+flash+drive+3.0&qid=1596115276&sprefix=scan+disk+usb+f,aps,251&sr=8-9&th=1

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thank you everyone for your support. I finally was able to get the maps upgrade into the vehicle. It just said successful!!! I guess it was the USB drive I was using that was the culprit.

Unfortunately the sync 3 software version 3.4 build number is still 19101.

I guess I'll have to use CyanLabs.net to get the build number to 19200, latest.

UPDATE: I’m not certain I want to use 3rd party software to upgrade the system. May end up asking the Ford dealership to do it on the next oil change.

Last edited:

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A new Sync 3.4.43 just showed up for our VIN on the Owner site. Not sure of the build number, but mine had been 19274 and this one is an update ... report back as soon as I can get it installed, I will!!

Ken

UPDATE ... after a late night trip around town, my Sync is now listed as 20136. Took about 20 minutes, which also allowed me to verify that the auto high beams worked (we've not had a need to drive at night much). Everything seems OK, except that my Sirius is not working. I'm guessing it needs one of those "updating Sirius" things or maybe a second reboot. I'll see what happens in the morning! Cheers!

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
A new Sync 3.4.43 just showed up for our VIN on the Owner site. Not sure of the build number, but mine had been 19274 and this one is an update ... report back as soon as I can get it installed, I will!!

Ken

UPDATE ... after a late night trip around town, my Sync is now listed as 20136. Took about 20 minutes, which also allowed me to verify that the auto high beams worked (we've not had a need to drive at night much). Everything seems OK, except that my Sirius is not working. I'm guessing it needs one of those "updating Sirius" things or maybe a second reboot. I'll see what happens in the morning! Cheers!
Does your Sync in your display read: Ver 3.4.43 now (after your update) or does it still show Ver 3.4?

I would figure the Build # would but a higher number, but I guess not when you have a newer Version # installed.

Did you use this website to update your Sync build # or is this website just for the maps? Mine didn't change any Version/Build #s when I did this update. But, at the top of the screen, it did say UPDATE COMPLETE upon restart after completion.

1596203735114.png

Last edited:

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That image is from the maps site ... which is different from the "operating system" or Sync portion of the system. That download is on the Ford Owner site under Support. The update does not change the "version" which remains at 3.4, but the build number updates to 20136. Here's what mine now looks like:
IMG_2492.jpeg
I had already done the separate map update, which is a NA 119, so I guess I'm about as up-to-date as I can be!!

Ken

LokiWolf

Reactions
Looks like Ford moved 20136 to Production to replace 19200!

Good move by Ford. It is stable, and quicker than any previous version on the 10 Inch screen.

See, those of ya’ll that keep screwing with Fords site, could have used CyanLabs installer and been here Months ago, with 1 install. Oh Well!

Enjoy!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Looks like Ford moved 20136 to Production to replace 19200!

Good move by Ford. It is stable, and quicker than any previous version on the 10 Inch screen.

See, those of ya’ll that keep screwing with Fords site, could have used CyanLabs installer and been here Months ago, with 1 install. Oh Well!

Enjoy!

I found the right website but it keeps stating my VIN shows my vehicle is up to date. But I'm still rocking 19101 build. That's not 19136!

1596220076406.png

LokiWolf

Reactions
I found the right website but it keeps stating my VIN shows my vehicle is up to date. But I'm still rocking 19101 build. That's not 19136!

View attachment 1597
Just do CyanLabs. You will not regret it.

Reactions
Just do CyanLabs. You will not regret it.

What's the benefit of using CyanLabs over the Ford site?

KegsBdry

Reactions
What's the benefit of using CyanLabs over the Ford site?
CyanLabs apparently works (from what I'm gathering from this forum) but it's 3rd party.

The Ford site apparently SAID it updated my Sync to the latest build # 19136, but my Sync still reads the older build # 19101.

Reactions
CyanLabs apparently works (from what I'm gathering from this forum) but it's 3rd party.

The Ford site apparently SAID it updated my Sync to the latest build # 19136, but my Sync still reads the older build # 19101.
But what's the benefit of making sure it's updated to the latest build number? Does it change anything other than the build number?

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

View attachment 1597
Ford may have pulled the update temporarily. I was told there is a file missing from the version I downloaded last night and that's why I had problems with SiriusXM. I received the file and some additional instructions, re-did the update, and now all is fine. The rep was on another forum and ID's himself as a Ford employee in the Sync division, so I think he's credible.

Although I do tap in and modify a few things with Forscan, you need to remember that if you use something other than the Ford official "file" and something goes wrong during programming you may be on the hook for any repair cost. I'm not familiar with CyanLabs, but personally I'd be reluctant to actually load new software from a non-Ford source. With Forscan, you're not loading anything "new", you're just changing a code to make something work differently. That's a lot different. CyanLabs may work perfectly. Just be aware of the risk.

Ken

LokiWolf

Reactions
Let’s clarify several things.

1)CyanLabs uses actual Ford files.
2)If running the most recent from CyanLabs you might be using “Beta” software.
3)CyanLabs use to link to the files and give instructions, now they actually have a program that assists you.

In this case the most recent I am using from CyanLabs is 20136, but I have been running it for several Months. There might be an even newer version now, but haven’t checked in over a week.

Full disclosure I ran Beta Sync versions before CyanLabs became a thing last Fall. There are some really smart forums out there that find/get the files. I use to compile them and install them. Many others did too. CyanLabs has brought that process to more people and made it way more user friendly.

4) Not all APIM(FORSCAN) settings are affected all the time by the update. If you just do an OS update, with out the Map update from CyanLabs there is no format and most settings will be retained. Even a Format will still retain some, because they are in a different area of storage on the APIM.