Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync Navigation Update

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Like Z, I connected to my home WiFi, then did the software update. Although I left the car running the entire time (took like 30 mins then the car shut off by itself when completed) , I have read you may not need to do this. I decided to leave it running to mitigate any potential misinformation.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Only way you will get Sync Updates via the car itself is on WiFi. It will not do it via the vehicle’s cell or wifi hotspot.

Honestly, the best way is via CyanLabs.

The 2nd best way is via Ford owner site and use a USB.

For a LONG time, Ford had the remote update service off, but it has been back on, and appears to be working better than it ever has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KegsBdry

Reactions
I think it helps to have your car connected to your house's WiFi. I was pushed 20136 on Sept 5th.
I've been using my phone's wifi. Let me try my home's wifi. Let's see if it'll work. Thank you.

Reactions
On September 3rd I got a notification on my phone that my car received a software update. It was not parked near a wifi source or anything, in fact I was parked on the street in Philly. No idea what the software update was (from/to). Havent gotten anything else since then. Unfortunately my apartment is too far from anywhere I can park the car to get my wifi signal. Do you think a public wifi like starbucks would work?

LokiWolf

Reactions
On September 3rd I got a notification on my phone that my car received a software update. It was not parked near a wifi source or anything, in fact I was parked on the street in Philly. No idea what the software update was (from/to). Havent gotten anything else since then. Unfortunately my apartment is too far from anywhere I can park the car to get my wifi signal. Do you think a public wifi like starbucks would work?
First off, see what version you are on. 3.4.20136 is the most current build for the ST.

Reactions
First off, see what version you are on. 3.4.20136 is the most current build for the ST.

I looked on the Ford website, entered my VIN and it said I had an update, did it via USB.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I looked on the Ford website, entered my VIN and it said I had an update, did it via USB.
Even better!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Mine says up to date, but it's at 19101. Oil change tomorrow, will ask for the update to the latest build.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just got mine updated at the dealership to 19136. Got a chance to talk to the guy who was doing it, he says Ford has not gotten that down yet for auto updates to pull the right build number yet.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Just got mine updated at the dealership to 19136. Got a chance to talk to the guy who was doing it, he says Ford has not gotten that down yet for auto updates to pull the right build number yet.
Should be 20136. There was no released 19136.

Not true. While I think that the system from Ford for over WiFi updates still needs some improvement, it is SO much better than it was last year at this time. They actually turned it off completely for Months while that obviously made some changes.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe he means 20196? That's the latest on Cyanlabs and supposedly released in other parts of the world.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Should be 20136. There was no released 19136.

Not true. While I think that the system from Ford for over WiFi updates still needs some improvement, it is SO much better than it was last year at this time. They actually turned it off completely for Months while that obviously made some changes.

You are right, it was 20136 - that was a typo on my part.

I was upgraded from 19101 to 20136. And I can already tell the difference in response time on the touchscreen and how quickly it boots up.

But it would not do this update via wifi from my home nor my hotspot on the phone nor via the USB software provided by Ford. The only way it worked was with a technician and a laptop at the Ford dealership. I was able to use the USB to update the maps, but that's about it.

Though the ability to update yourself may have improved, it does not seem to be working for my 2020 Explorer (unless I ask Ford to do it manually).

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Only had my ST for 3 days now. Yesterday I updated SYNC 3.4 to Build 20136 via USB from Ford's site. Took about 25 minutes once USB was plugged into the cars port.

Today I loaded Maps NA 1 19 via USB from Ford's site. They said about an hour to install once plugged into the car. 1 hour and 27 minutes. It's a good thing I am patient. :)

This is not my first dance with these updates. I updated my 2019 Ranger a month ago, much bigger PITA than the ST (BTW I sacrificed the Ranger for the ST) and I updated the maps in my 2017 Mustang GT when I did the Ranger.

I'm still pissed that I had to shell out $150.00 for the maps for the Mustang! When it's time to update them again in the Mustang, I'm saying screw it and getting a GARMIN with lifetime map and updates for the same money or less...

LokiWolf

Reactions
Only had my ST for 3 days now. Yesterday I updated SYNC 3.4 to Build 20136 via USB from Ford's site. Took about 25 minutes once USB was plugged into the cars port.

Today I loaded Maps NA 1 19 via USB from Ford's site. They said about an hour to install once plugged into the car. 1 hour and 27 minutes. It's a good thing I am patient. :)

This is not my first dance with these updates. I updated my 2019 Ranger a month ago, much bigger PITA than the ST (BTW I sacrificed the Ranger for the ST) and I updated the maps in my 2017 Mustang GT when I did the Ranger.

I'm still pissed that I had to shell out $150.00 for the maps for the Mustang! When it's time to update them again in the Mustang, I'm saying screw it and getting a GARMIN with lifetime map and updates for the same money or less...
CyanLabs.net...That is all you need.

KegsBdry

Reactions

What is sad is our smartphones using Waze and Google Maps do a far better job than the navigation software in the cars. Why not upload a car with the Waze app and be done with it? Of course you can use CarPlay, if you want to utilize only half your screen and half the car's options on the touchscreen.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What is sad is our smartphones using Waze and Google Maps do a far better job than the navigation software in the cars. Why not upload a car with the Waze app and be done with it? Of course you can use CarPlay, if you want to utilize only half your screen and half the car's options on the touchscreen.
You already can use the WAZE app on Sync. I'm not talking Carplay. All you need is to connect your phone to usb and turn off Carplay. The Sync Waze app is full screen but it is relatively low resolution, slow to refresh though, and is not updated like the iOS or Android versions. I prefer WAZE on Carplay, even with the smaller screen. Waze iOS seems to get better and better and has several features that I just love: alert when I go above a set speed over speed limit, lane guidance before taking a turn, etc. I also love that it's already active as soon as I connect with Carplay.

KegsBdry

Reactions
You already can use the WAZE app on Sync. I'm not talking Carplay. All you need is to connect your phone to usb and turn off Carplay. The Sync Waze app is full screen but it is relatively low resolution, slow to refresh though, and is not updated like the iOS or Android versions. I prefer WAZE on Carplay, even with the smaller screen. Waze iOS seems to get better and better and has several features that I just love: alert when I go above a set speed over speed limit, lane guidance before taking a turn, etc. I also love that it's already active as soon as I connect with Carplay.

I have not seen the full screen Waze on the screen. Cannot wait to try that out.

I'm getting a mix of things I don't like with the carplay. It seems like less options than not using it. And carplay does not like my version of Pandora. It's a mixed back of functionality. Easier for me to stick with Bluetooth.

Reactions
I just upgrade my sync to 20136 and I've lost the inside temperature settings readings in the banner of my display. Anybody else have that happened?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
I just upgrade my sync to 20136 and I've lost the inside temperature settings readings in the banner of my display. Anybody else have that happened?
Have you rebooted the unit several times?

Reactions
Reboot? You mean turn the car off and back on again or is there another way?