Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST - Storm Trooper Build

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The console piece actually looks really good!!!

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #222
Yessir...went all-in on that too. I think they look great, fit like a glove and just better looking cheap plastic than the already cheap plastic that came with our $60K SUV's!

Thanks Hong Kong !

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Center console looks great!! One of my rings in the cup holder went out so need to fix that before I install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Center console looks great!! One of my rings in the cup holder went out so need to fix that before I install.

@zdubyadubya @Nbk4t5e By far and away the center console piece was actually incredible quality, fit perfectly (where I almost thought I'd have to dremel an 1/8 inch, but snapped perfectly in place) and doesn't scratch/smudge easily.

Worth every penny...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...-/363177300413?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-E...-/293831087026?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #224
@zdubyadubya @Nbk4t5e By far and away the center console piece was actually incredible quality, fit perfectly (where I almost thought I'd have to dremel an 1/8 inch, but snapped perfectly in place) and doesn't scratch/smudge easily.

Worth every penny...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...-/363177300413?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-E...-/293831087026?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Nice! I ordered that one as well. Shipped on the 16th.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #225
Sun is not out completely but you can see the colors in the wrap. I dig it.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thats friggin awesome.

Reactions
Where did you find the rear tailgate piece? I haven't found it on eBay yet...

EDIT: I found it, but can you link the one you bought. Although, so far I have only found one....

Last edited:
OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #228
Where did you find the rear tailgate piece? I haven't found it on eBay yet...

EDIT: I found it, but can you link the one you bought. Although, so far I have only found one....
I didn’t get that one. That was Nick P

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #229
Been a minute but finally installed the spd downpipes and they really opened the borla S type. I’m actually getting an ATAK res to try out. I was hoping to get the ZFG tune but find out he will be out of pocket for months so I’ll have to wait.

Truck is going back to my shop in the next couple weeks to build mid pipes once the ATAK comes in. Again videos do not give these exhaust notes the justice they deserve.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The stuff I‘ve been watching on this EPA stuff makes me wonder if some of the Tuners that have backed off for the time being will be able to come back?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #231
The stuff I‘ve been watching on this EPA stuff makes me wonder if some of the Tuners that have backed off for the time being will be able to come back?
I hope so.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
They should, but the outfits like ZFG are going to need to change up their business model a bit. Custom tunes without a dyno or exhaust pipe sniffer are going to be a thing of the past. Tuners will need to keep log files on hand for each "canned tune" demonstrating no effect on emissions (which means to account for variabilities -- expect a 15-20hp drop in available power -- thats why the PBD/5Star/Livernois tunes are that much less than ZFG) and for any custom tune, they will also need an emissions test result. An enterprising tuner may go the extra mile and create a data matrix of possible aftermarket modifications and the resulting tune file and the resulting emissions test results. So when ordering a tune file, instead of a 93 Octane Race tune, you could order a "93 Octane Race + Downpipes + Intercooler" tune. It won't be as optimized as a fully custom tune, but should be 95% of the way there. Thats assuming tuners will bother. Thats ALOT of dyno time and ALOT of permutations. If you want a custom tune in the future, its likely you will be asked to provide a) a dyno and b) an EPA approved exhaust emissions test result as measured by an EPA approved sniffing device. The results of that test would then be bookmarked to your vehicle so if EPA comes knocking on the tuner's door they can show they are not affecting the vehicle's emissions control systems.

This whole thing will definitely hit the diesel tuners ALOT harder than the gas tuners. We can do pretty allright with high flow cats. The first step in tuning any diesel is removing EGR systems--so that's gonna not happen anymore.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #233
They should, but the outfits like ZFG are going to need to change up their business model a bit. Custom tunes without a dyno or exhaust pipe sniffer are going to be a thing of the past. Tuners will need to keep log files on hand for each "canned tune" demonstrating no effect on emissions (which means to account for variabilities -- expect a 15-20hp drop in available power -- thats why the PBD/5Star/Livernois tunes are that much less than ZFG) and for any custom tune, they will also need an emissions test result. An enterprising tuner may go the extra mile and create a data matrix of possible aftermarket modifications and the resulting tune file and the resulting emissions test results. So when ordering a tune file, instead of a 93 Octane Race tune, you could order a "93 Octane Race + Downpipes + Intercooler" tune. It won't be as optimized as a fully custom tune, but should be 95% of the way there. Thats assuming tuners will bother. Thats ALOT of dyno time and ALOT of permutations. If you want a custom tune in the future, its likely you will be asked to provide a) a dyno and b) an EPA approved exhaust emissions test result as measured by an EPA approved sniffing device. The results of that test would then be bookmarked to your vehicle so if EPA comes knocking on the tuner's door they can show they are not affecting the vehicle's emissions control systems.

This whole thing will definitely hit the diesel tuners ALOT harder than the gas tuners. We can do pretty allright with high flow cats. The first step in tuning any diesel is removing EGR systems--so that's gonna not happen anymore.
That’s a lot to take in. Sucks.

Is that going to be the case in all 50 states? I know there isn’t much emissions control here in Texas.

LokiWolf

Reactions
-- expect a 15-20hp drop in available power -- thats why the PBD/5Star/Livernois tunes are that much less than ZFG)
What? You have no idea what you are talking about. ZFG’s gains over the others have NOTHING to do with pushing the emissions envelope. You are just pulling stuff out of thin air.

Only time will tell whether adjusting tunes to be more compliant will lower the power. Trust me, things are in the works and are being actively tested.

To think that ZFG’s advantage is more than just being better at what others do on this platform is COMPLETE crap. No emissions corners are cut. ZFG was one of the first to start dealing only with catted vehicles. They will not tune any Non catted vehicle, and has always been a proponent of keeping that hardware in place. VERY unlike others that you mentioned minus LMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It’s not state by state, it’s the Federal oversight.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
What? You have no idea what you are talking about. ZFG’s gains over the others have NOTHING to do with pushing the emissions envelope. You are just pulling stuff out of thin air.
Whoa man.... hold up... maybe we got our lines crossed but thats not what I said or meant at all... I never implied that ZFG's gains were due to an emissions envelope. I said that Adam's tune is a CUSTOM tune and therefore optimized for YOUR vehicle. a canned tune needs to account for a larger variability in vehicle setup and therefore the performance envelope has to be more generalized-- and therefore THAT results in a reduction in available power. I'm running his tune! There is a reason he does like 3-4 iterations of log files! The other tuners barely answer emails once they have your money.

To think that ZFG’s advantage is more than just being better at what others do on this platform is COMPLETE crap.
I'm confused by this. The ZFG advantage is precisely because he is better than the others on this platform.

No emissions corners are cut. ZFG was one of the first to start dealing only with catted vehicles. They will not tune any Non catted vehicle, and has always been a proponent of keeping that hardware in place. VERY unlike others that you mentioned minus LMS.
Again. Never said or implied this. His advantage is due to the customization applied to each individual vehicle. THAT will be very hard to continue to do in the coming months/years.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Whoa man.... hold up... maybe we got our lines crossed but thats not what I said or meant at all... I never implied that ZFG's gains were due to an emissions envelope. I said that Adam's tune is a CUSTOM tune and therefore optimized for YOUR vehicle. a canned tune needs to account for a larger variability in vehicle setup and therefore the performance envelope has to be more generalized-- and therefore THAT results in a reduction in available power. I'm running his tune! There is a reason he does like 3-4 iterations of log files! The other tuners barely answer emails once they have your money.

I'm confused by this. The ZFG advantage is precisely because he is better than the others on this platform.

Again. Never said or implied this. His advantage is due to the customization applied to each individual vehicle. THAT will be very hard to continue to do in the coming months/years.
All good. Your wording did not come across that way. It implied(At Least the way I read it) that his gains were because he was not compliant. Sorry for jumping. There has been some misinformation floating around, and I might have been a little over aggressive on it!

We both agree he is the best.

Actually I believe the canned tune is less compliant. You aren’t looking at logs on each vehicle, looking at things like exhaust temp and so forth. Adam is, and can show documentation from those logs. Show a vehicle with the same numbers and show it’s tailpipe emissions test, and boom.

Like you are aware of, the revision process, is doing other things. Like looking at oil pressure(an apparent weak point on these things), and also shifting. Power is part of it, but not all.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
All good.

sorry @Nbk4t5e for being involved in ANOTHER thread derailment of your build thread... I just noticed now looking at your carbon hood wrap pics, did you wrap your roof black too? I didn’t think you did the c-pillars too like I did... haven’t seen a white one with only the roof. Got any side pics?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #239
All good.

sorry @Nbk4t5e for being involved in ANOTHER thread derailment of your build thread... I just noticed now looking at your carbon hood wrap pics, did you wrap your roof black too? I didn’t think you did the c-pillars too like I did... haven’t seen a white one with only the roof. Got any side pics?
No worries! Yes the roof is satin black but only the front half like a panoramic style roof. It’s at the dealer now for warranty work but I’ll take some pics once we get it back.

Reactions

Only time will tell whether adjusting tunes to be more compliant will lower the power. Trust me, things are in the works and are being actively tested.

To think that ZFG’s advantage is more than just being better at what others do on this platform is COMPLETE crap. No emissions corners are cut. ZFG was one of the first to start dealing only with catted vehicles. They will not tune any Non catted vehicle, and has always been a proponent of keeping that hardware in place. VERY unlike others that you mentioned minus LMS.

That is great news - My RS and ST are anxiously awaiting for Adam to be back. From everything I have read on here he has been very pro-active with all these changes