Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST - Storm Trooper Build

JCotterman

Reactions
Where did you end up finding the best deal on those Michelin tires and what was the cost?

Reactions
I’ll see about taking some pics in the next couple days. It’s straight forward if you have the right tools.

I’ve been relaxed on the explorer these days. Need to install a few things that are just just sitting around in the garage. Waiting on the cooler weather in Texas .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I probably need to buy the right tools. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a #20 Torx, and I have no idea what I would need to remove the airbag...
Have you ever seen the YouTube channel Goonzsquad? Couple a brothers who buy crashed cars and fix them up. I see they have a whole “kit” to remove different panels from the car. I’m guessing I would need something like that, eh?

Thanks
Joe

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #203
I probably need to buy the right tools. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a #20 Torx, and I have no idea what I would need to remove the airbag...
Have you ever seen the YouTube channel Goonzsquad? Couple a brothers who buy crashed cars and fix them up. I see they have a whole “kit” to remove different panels from the car. I’m guessing I would need something like that, eh?

Thanks
Joe
I think it’s actually Torx 50. But need a tool that is very skinny to fit the hole to release the airbag. See below of what I used. You will know when it releases because the airbag will pop out a little and need to do the opposite side. Here is a short video. My pictures will not upload. There are 2 small holes behind the wheel....

I’ve never watched that YouTube channel but you can google explorer steering whee removal and something will come up.

View attachment IMG_1973.MOV

Reactions
I think it’s actually Torx 50. But need a tool that is very skinny to fit the hole to release the airbag. See below of what I used. You will know when it releases because the airbag will pop out a little and need to do the opposite side. Here is a short video. My pictures will not upload. There are 2 small holes behind the wheel....

I’ve never watched that YouTube channel but you can google explorer steering whee removal and something will come up.

View attachment 2832

Would it be safe to assume I have to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for, something like, 20 mins for all the angry pixies time to chill out...

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #205
Would it be safe to assume I have to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for, something like, 20 mins for all the angry pixies time to chill out...
Yes sir but I’m crazy and didn’t

Here are the pix

Reactions
What about removing the switches? I did a search for steering wheel removal, and only saw older explorers, prior to 2020. But, I’ll try again and see what I come up with...

Thanks for the vid and pics.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #207
What about removing the switches? I did a search for steering wheel removal, and only saw older explorers, prior to 2020. But, I’ll try again and see what I come up with...

Thanks for the vid and pics.
Switches can be removed with a small Phillips screw driver and release the harness. Pull the trim out once the screws are out as well.

Reactions
Switches can be removed with a small Phillips screw driver and release the harness. Pull the trim out once the screws are out as well.

Do you pry the switches out, or do you unscrew them from behind... I did pick a set of big Torx bits, now I'm just worried about the switches.

thanks

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #209
Do you pry the switches out, or do you unscrew them from behind... I did pick a set of big Torx bits, now I'm just worried about the switches.

thanks
Pry the trim out after a couple screws and then screws are behind that for the switches

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #210

thanks
Are are the 2 small torx screws for the trim.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #212
It’s been a minute but finally got around to install my wife’s Catch Can / Thermostat and Intercooler today. :)

Tune next week

Reactions
Lookin good. I've got my IC on the way as well. Any reason you bought the thermostat? Is that necessary with the Whipple IC?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #214
Lookin good. I've got my IC on the way as well. Any reason you bought the thermostat? Is that necessary with the Whipple IC?
Texas heat!! 170 thermostat over the stock 180

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #215

Took the lower lip off since I had the bumper off. Gonna attempt to wrap it tomorrow in a forged carbon style along with the hood ..... (maybe)

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #216
Trying out something different on the wrap for the hood and lip

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
i LOVE the "recycled carbon fiber" or the roughcut style layups. nice work.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #218
i LOVE the "recycled carbon fiber" or the roughcut style layups. nice work.
Thanks brother I ordered 6 different samples.

I’ll get better pics in the sun tomorrow....

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #219
So I ordered some of those cheap carbon look-a-like pieces on eBay (can’t find the original post) and they are definitely fake but not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions
So I ordered some of those cheap carbon look-a-looked pieces on eBay (can’t find the original post) and they are definitely fake but not bad.

Yessir...went all-in on that too. I think they look great, fit like a glove and just better looking cheap plastic than the already cheap plastic that came with our $60K SUV's!

Thanks Hong Kong !

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk