Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Availability... WTH?

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Explorer ST - Agate Black
Hello, I am a POSSIBLE new owner for a '23 ST. Is Ford ever going to come out with a fix for this no sale camera issue? I have one that I have already worked out a deal with the dealer on, but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. It went from late May to June 21st to now July 11th. I like the ST, but don't know that I'm willing to keep waiting for it to be delivered. Plus, I think the date will keep changing OR they will deliver it and it cannot be sold anyway. All of them with the 360 camera hitting the lot right now are on no sale and I don't see how one can even be delivered and be sold if there is no solution to the problem yet. I expect that even though they are not currently on the recall list that when they are delivered they will find their way onto it. Thinking about just getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve. Thoughts?

FYI - I am currently in a '16 Limited, but my tranny (solenoid A and terrain management system) is going out.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's pretty clear they haven't a clue what the problem is with the camera system. They don't want to release another "theoretical" fix like they did with Recall#2. Pretty shocking that there's a stop sale because of it.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Hello, I am a POSSIBLE new owner for a '23 ST. Is Ford ever going to come out with a fix for this no sale camera issue? I have one that I have already worked out a deal with the dealer on, but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. It went from late May to June 21st to now July 11th. I like the ST, but don't know that I'm willing to keep waiting for it to be delivered. Plus, I think the date will keep changing OR they will deliver it and it cannot be sold anyway. All of them with the 360 camera hitting the lot right now are on no sale and I don't see how one can even be delivered and be sold if there is no solution to the problem yet. I expect that even though they are not currently on the recall list that when they are delivered they will find their way onto it. Thinking about just getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve. Thoughts?

FYI - I am currently in a '16 Limited, but my tranny (solenoid A and terrain management system) is going out.
I believe that vehicles built after May 2nd, 2023 will not be affected by the recall.

You can check by entering your VIN here https://www.ford.com/support/recalls-details/ . I verified with a new ST VIN (built after 5/2) 1FM5K8GC8PGB07342 and one built before 1FM5K8GC3PGA70152.

Last edited:
OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
The one that I am waiting on does not have the recall, but I don't understand how new ones don't have it. If they changed the programming on the new ones why can't they just do that with the older ones? My understanding is that it is the written code that makes the 360 camera system viewable. I'm not a programmer and I don't work for Ford, so that may be incorrect info, but that is what I was told.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
The one that I am waiting on does not have the recall, but I don't understand how new ones don't have it. If they changed the programming on the new ones why can't they just do that with the older ones? My understanding is that it is the written code that makes the 360 camera system viewable. I'm not a programmer and I don't work for Ford, so that may be incorrect info, but that is what I was told.
I think it's actually a hardware problem that they are trying to address with firmware/software. Perhaps that's why it's taking so long and they can't seem to get it right. Vehicles built after 5/2 have different hardware.

From 23S23 recall notice

Affected vehicles: vehicles were not produced in VIN order, but the recalled part was put into production on October 19th, 2018 and was taken out of production on May 2nd, 2023.

OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
How do you determine the build date from the window sticker?

1687805108075.png

OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I think it's actually a hardware problem that they are trying to address with firmware/software. Perhaps that's why it's taking so long and they can't seem to get it right. Vehicles built after 5/2 have different hardware.

From 23S23 recall notice

Affected vehicles: vehicles were not produced in VIN order, but the recalled part was put into production on October 19th, 2018 and was taken out of production on May 2nd, 2023.
Thank you for the insight!

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
How do you determine the build date from the window sticker?

View attachment 18452
The last 6 numbers in the box below the total MSRP represent the Invoice Date which is usually a few days before the actual build. I'm not an expert on this topic but that is what I have gathered from other posts.

1687805855978.png

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
If the one you are waiting on isn't part of the recall, why in the world will they not release it?

OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I was just saying that if it still has the same problem that the others on recall have how would they be able to release it even after being delivered. I have seen others that have been recently delivered that ended up on the recall list. But, if what cdast said is accurate then this one should be ok. Just not sure why they keep pushing the date out.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I was just saying that if it still has the same problem that the others on recall have how would they be able to release it even after being delivered. I have seen others that have been recently delivered that ended up on the recall list. But, if what cdast said is accurate then this one should be ok. Just not sure why they keep pushing the date out.
I've experienced unexplained delays on a Ford order. Last year at this time I was waiting for an F-350 that had been built in May. There were no recalls or known holds. It arrived at the dealer mid August. There was never any explanation given. I'm also the owner of a 2023 ST that's sitting on the dealer lot until the recall work is completed.

Here is the nhtsa paperwork on the camera recall issue

1687830039065.png
1687830101924.png

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have been in the Market for an ST now for several weeks and had the same issue. I went to a dealership an hour away that had 4 STs listed on their sites and even called to confirm they were sellable. The salesman told me that they were and I would be able to drive it off the lot the same day (last Thursday June, 26). When I got there, I was informed that they would not be able to sell it to me and asked what alternate vehicles I liked. I had brought my whole family with me too so it was a waste of everyone's evening. I told them I had even checked for the recall on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website (NHSTA) before going and no recalls were listed. I have been searching the internet for news and information regarding the recall because Ford hasn't said much. The dealer doesn't even know much on about what's going on and Ford has not said much either. This is what I know so far.

The recall effects vehicles that were in production October 19, 2018 through May 2, 2023 from the Chicago assembly plant (All Explorers come from here). Including 2020, 2021, 2022, and this years model (2023). That part was taken out of production May 2nd, 2023. If you find one produced on May 2nd 2023 or after that day, and lookup the recall on Ford's internal site, they should be in the clear. The problem is most if not all those produced after that date are still in transit. I found one on Fords website in transit that was supposed to arrive beginning of this week (June 26, 2023) at the Dealership that was produced after the May 2nd date, but it's still not there. I have called 6 other dealerships that have ones produced after the May 2nd, 2023 date and they are all in transit.

If you look at the Window sticker, you can see the production date in the last 6 digits of where I highlighted on the attached picture. Double check that VIN on https://www.ford.com/support/recalls-details/ and if you a green check mark and the message "You’re all set! There are no recalls for this vehicle. " you should be able to buy that when it arrives.
Otherwise you won't be able to buy any that are currently on the lot produced Before May 2, 2023 until Ford comes up with a solution for the recall. According to Ford, they were supposed to send out mail regarding the Recall by June 26, 2023. I haven't seen any updates from Ford.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get one please let me know. I have been searching for a car for several months now. I originally wanted an RT Durango and almost bought one but it didn't work out. After that I decided I wanted the Ford ST after learning about it and what features and specs. I am starting to run out of patience.

Good luck

Attachments

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have been calling dealerships around my area and from what they are saying, I believe they should be arriving around the middle to end of this month (July). Good luck.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
New info is its a hardware issue now not software and those cameras likely wont be available until September at the earliest.

Chicago Speedway is the parking lot for 20K Explorers and Lincoln's right now waiting for those parts before they can ship.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
IMG_1162.jpg

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
New info is its a hardware issue now not software and those cameras likely wont be available until September at the earliest.

Chicago Speedway is the parking lot for 20K Explorers and Lincoln's right now waiting for those parts before they can ship.
That is frustrating but I'm not surprised that it's hardware given that the recall refers to a part being replaced on 5/2. Maybe they have given up on resolving it with software (much cheaper option for them). Where did you hear this?

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Oh wow that's a long time 20k+ vehicles to just sit and depreciate. You would think something as simple as a camera issue would get fixed quicker, even if it's a hardware issue. I wonder if this will affect the new ones that were produced after the faulty part was taken out of production.

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

I started a thread for this specific issue. If anyone has any updates please post them.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-360-degree-camera-stop-sale.5925/#post-75132

SparWars

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

My order was made in March. Car was built May 5th. It is still sitting in Chicago because of the camera issue.