Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
They'll fix it as many times as necessary as long as you're under warranty. The "one time fix" would only come into play after your normal factory warranty has expired and if you don't have an extended warranty.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Ok that makes sense

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Lost faith in Ford really fixing this as it should be. Going to purchase a brace.

Any reason to spend an extra $200 on the ID speed brace vs the AWR brace?

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If it happens again after a fix, I’d save the money on a fix and get an attorney. That’s ridiculous. I love my ST, but the corners cut in the name of “global shortage” pisses me off. my 2017 Explorer sport had more creature comforts…like a glove box and center console light. Oh and how could I forget…freaking front and rear camera washers!

hbalek

Reactions
If it happens again after a fix, I’d save the money on a fix and get an attorney. That’s ridiculous. I love my ST, but the corners cut in the name of “global shortage” pisses me off. my 2017 Explorer sport had more creature comforts…like a glove box and center console light. Oh and how could I forget…freaking front and rear camera washers!
My 2020 has those lights and camera washers plus the extra bolt.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s what pisses me off. Great intro but then quite a few of the niceties are no longer available in future model years. I get the whole Covid bs but come on Ford.

Having said that, I still am loving mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
They replace the entire rear subframe for a failed bushing? Or was there more damaged.

Personally, I'd get rid of the car! Ford says they will only fix it once. Happens again and you might be on the hook for thousands of dollars if it takes out your driveshaft, axles, and rear diff. I'd inquire whether this failed bushing counts the same as a failed bolt--one fix and you're done.
They were instructed by Ford to replace the entire subframe. Only took one day for the part to arrive.
It's covered while under warranty, and I purchased the extended warranty from Lombardy Ford online. But yes, once out of warranty, it is a very costly repair, but using your own dime, you can place it with the correct subframe part.
My only regret is that I didn't purchase the Aviator, ha. Their new jet package looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ford would only cover the same unit.
Old vs new shown. See the one mount point on subframe.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Unbelievable that Ford would stick to their guns and only allow a replacement with the one bolt sub frame when they are now shipping 2023 models with the proper 2 bolt one. Would seem like a no brainer to put the more structurally sound part in when given the chance. It’s like they just don’t care or smell a class action suit from all of the 2021 and 2022 owners who were given the one bolt sub frame and could argue that it’s a defect that needs to be fixed. Sorry that they did this to you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Unbelievable that Ford would stick to their guns and only allow a replacement with the one bolt sub frame when they are now shipping 2023 models with the proper 2 bolt one. Would seem like a no brainer to put the more structurally sound part in when given the chance. It’s like they just don’t care or smell a class action suit from all of the 2021 and 2022 owners who were given the one bolt sub frame and could argue that it’s a defect that needs to be fixed. Sorry that they did this to you.
I’ll bet part of the decision making process was that replacing 3s with 4s under warranty would be an admonition that they screwed up. It would expose them to having to replace every 3, broken or not.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you add the AWR brace make sure to check your bolts.

I noticed a little oil on my garage floor. The lower bolt in the differential was not even finger tight. I did try a few launches after I got it installed, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll check it again after a few launches and if it's loose again add some Loctite.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’ll bet part of the decision making process was that replacing 3s with 4s under warranty would be an admonition that they screwed up. It would expose them to having to replace every 3, broken or not.
Yep but as TMac said earlier in the thread, the fact that the 2023 ST’s are coming off the line with the four bolt sub frames is a mea culpa by Ford that the three bolt was a mistake. As much as I think that anyone who had the failure occur should contact the NHTSA and file a complaint that the ST the three bolt sub frame presents a safety issue that needs to be corrected and pointing out that Ford is now producing the vehicle with a four bolt sub frame; I’m not sure it would matter. Ford appears to have satisfied any concerns that the NHTAS may have had with the three bolt by implementing the E-Brake fix. Which really doesn’t address the root cause of the issue but will keep the vehicle from rolling away should things break. :rolleyes:

Then again, since we are seeing the four bolt subframes on the 2023’s, it may be worth trying it again. :unsure:

Last edited:

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It seems like the 2020 OG was the one to get.
It is funny…all these “new” cars seem remove a creature comfort that I always had in a car a few years before. I had a 2020 BMW M340 that was an absolute rocket, but had no front camera. God I hated it that…the paranoia of curbs/walls when you can’t back into a space is awful. Especially on a low car.
I guess I should be happy, the lane departure on my 22 ST doesn’t try to kill me like my BMWs. I can’t imagine people trusting these cars to drive themselves! I can justify missing certain creature comforts on my ST due to the performance, but dammit…I want my 4th bolt! I’m about to call JG Wentworth

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. My 22 has a two bolt (four bolt?) subframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 23 was built with a 1 bolt subframe. I did have my dealer submit a misbuilt vehicle report and they have a subframe on backorder for me.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 23 was built with a 1 bolt subframe. I did have my dealer submit a misbuilt vehicle report and they have a subframe on backorder for me.
Called the dealer today. They have all the parts in. I'll be scheduling the replacement soon.

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Called the dealer today. They have all the parts in. I'll be scheduling the replacement soon.
I assume it is costing you nothing out of pocket? How long after taking possession of the vehicle did you have them submit the report? I saw it is 7 days, which sucks since I am fighting my service guy on it…might be time to find a new place!

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I assume it is costing you nothing out of pocket? How long after taking possession of the vehicle did you have them submit the report? I saw it is 7 days, which sucks since I am fighting my service guy on it…might be time to find a new place!
They have 7 days from delivery to file a report. I refused to take delivery till Ford said they would replace the parts. In total it's been about a month for everything to come in.

You are correct that Ford is footing the bill.

DrtByz3E2

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
When did you order your '23 ST? I just read this entire thread and made aware of the concerns. I placed my '23 ST order 20Feb23, I would say maybe May or mid June before it gets delivered. I did get an order number and vin number, out of curiosity I tried doing some research on my vin to see if I can find a build sheet or something but no luck.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
When did you order your '23 ST? I just read this entire thread and made aware of the concerns. I placed my '23 ST order 20Feb23, I would say maybe May or mid June before it gets delivered. I did get an order number and vin number, out of curiosity I tried doing some research on my vin to see if I can find a build sheet or something but no luck.
You will get an email from Ford directly. I ordered Mid-November 2022. Build sheet won't help you since the 2 bolt rear is the stock part per the engineering drawings.

The window sticker will be generated a few weeks before your build date. I have no idea what the time-frames for new orders are. Mine was built and delivered in 2 months to the day of my order.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
After reading all these posts I went out to check my 2022 ST. It was ordered in Feb,22 and delivered mid-June,22. It has a 3 bolt, one lower mount. Have 10k on it with no problem. Was built in April but delivery was delayed by Ford to assure “it would meet quality expectations”. Not sure what that meant or what was done.