Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Just an update to my post.
After the rear subframe replacement, noticed extreme wear on outer edge of rear tire. Took back and the dealer said "the adjustments were loose somehow, we realigned and tightened everything up".
Fast forward a month. They picked it up for service, (I have Ford blue status), another camera update for recall, and fix passenger seat trim. They called, "we've ordered a new rear upper control arm and the car is ready". What!? He said it was loose and needed to be replaced under warranty. Which is why the tire continues to wear. Geeze people... I've not even talked to them yet about the tire wear issue. I love this vehicle, but this is annoying.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an update to my post.
After the rear subframe replacement, noticed extreme wear on outer edge of rear tire. Took back and the dealer said "the adjustments were loose somehow, we realigned and tightened everything up".
Fast forward a month. They picked it up for service, (I have Ford blue status), another camera update for recall, and fix passenger seat trim. They called, "we've ordered a new rear upper control arm and the car is ready". What!? He said it was loose and needed to be replaced under warranty. Which is why the tire continues to wear. Geeze people... I've not even talked to them yet about the tire wear issue. I love this vehicle, but this is annoying.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear. Just an fyi, when I had my dealer do an alignment after I put lowering springs and a replacement rear subframe on, they told me they could not get the rear passenger in spec. They were not aware that the upper inner of the control arm mount is slotted. A quick trip to an alignment shop that had a clue and it was back in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Sorry to hear. Just an fyi, when I had my dealer do an alignment after I put lowering springs and a replacement rear subframe on, they told me they could not get the rear passenger in spec. They were not aware that the upper inner of the control arm mount is slotted. A quick trip to an alignment shop that had a clue and it was back in spec.

Same thing happened to me, two local Ford dealers said it would need aftermarket camber kits and they wouldn't touch it because it's modified. I adjusted myself in the garage and got it close, then took it to a local tire shop and they aligned it with no issues.

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Same thing happened to me, two local Ford dealers said it would need aftermarket camber kits and they wouldn't touch it because it's modified. I adjusted myself in the garage and got it close, then took it to a local tire shop and they aligned it with no issues.
Amazing to me the Ford dealers or at least a lot of them have zero clue.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Amazing to me the Ford dealers or at least a lot of them have zero clue.
LOL The amazing thing is to find a dealer service dept, or even a dealer “technician”, that has a clue. There are a few, but only a few.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
LOL The amazing thing is to find a dealer service dept, or even a dealer “technician”, that has a clue. There are a few, but only a few.
Probably closer to the truth

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Does anyone know if the Platinum trim has this issue too? I know they have the same engine, but unaware if they would have the same subframe issue

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Reactions
A class action suit is being prepared now by a law firm that has sued Ford in the past. They are looking for class representatives to sign on to the suit from various states. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
A class action suit is being prepared now by a law firm that has sued Ford in the past. They are looking for class representatives to sign on to the suit from various states. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Did you get anyone to reach out?

Hopefully the law firm gets the people they need to get a class action going and maybe Ford will do a proper fix and get us the 4 bolt setup

tjanicki

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just asked Ford if I put on a differential brace would it void the drive train warrenty, they said yes.... the best part is they said the vehicles are different in Canada and dont have the issue lmao. Meanwhile all of these vehicles are built in the same place.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just asked Ford if I put on a differential brace would it void the drive train warrenty, they said yes.... the best part is they said the vehicles are different in Canada and dont have the issue lmao. Meanwhile all of these vehicles are built in the same place.
When you say you "asked Ford" who exactly did you ask? Wondering if it is another case of a service advisor not knowing his A$$ from a hole in the ground or somebody Higher up with the same IQ

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
When you say you "asked Ford" who exactly did you ask? Wondering if it is another case of a service advisor not knowing his A$$ from a hole in the ground or somebody Higher up with the same IQ
Wait, What? Are Service Advisors not the experts on the products they represent? LOL. Most of them don't know anything about what the write up. There are a few but very few!!

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid
Wait, What? Are Service Advisors not the experts on the products they represent? LOL. Most of them don't know anything about what the write up. There are a few but very few!!
Take it out and break it then they have to replace it...

tjanicki

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
ok yes you were right, it was some manager of the service advisors.

ST NV

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
I was at my local dealership yesterday and asked about the 1 bolt issue. The service writer pulled up the latest bulletin from Ford and it stated that they will not fix/replace anything until the bolt, bushing, or subframe shows signs of damage or failure..

I also have a ST that was originally sold in Canada, and it has the 1 bolt issue.. I understand this fix will cost them a lot of money, and the amount of effort they are using to not fix it is ridiculous.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unfortunately I think until people start getting hurt this will be Fords response. And yes, their efforts to dodge doing the right thing are impressive imo.

ghost_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone have a photo of what I should be looking at? just to see if i have it or not. What do I look for when it starts becoming a problem?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Anyone have a photo of what I should be looking at? just to see if i have it or not. What do I look for when it starts becoming a problem?
3 Bolt rear

1686051922597.png

4 Bolt rear

1686052007799.png