Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Iirc the diff bolts looked to be the same as the subframe bolts but longer. I also think my 1 bolt was bent when I removed it. Some day I might look and see if either of the 2 bolts appear to be bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Iirc the diff bolts looked to be the same as the subframe bolts but longer. I also think my 1 bolt was bent when I removed it. Some day I might look and see if either of the 2 bolts appear to be bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bolts are the same (at least according to the parts numbers) but the mount they go into looks different between the passenger and driver’s side. The metal on the passenger side bushing looks thicker and the rubber around it thinner. I would think that combination would be more resistant to movement under load. However, that’s just speculation on my part. TMac would be the person who would likely know better than I would about what if any difference that would make.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The bolts are the same (at least according to the parts numbers) but the mount they go into looks different between the passenger and driver’s side. The metal on the passenger side bushing looks thicker and the rubber around it thinner. I would think that combination would be more resistant to movement under load. However, that’s just speculation on my part. TMac would be the person who would likely know better than I would about what if any difference that would make.
Visually, there is a definite difference between the LH isolator on the single bolt models than the same LH isolator in the twin bolt models. But without information about the durometer (equalling flex) of the bushings, it's impossible to make any kind of accurate assumption. What I can say is that the off-center single bolt subframe even if the bushing had less flex is very suspect. It doesn't take an engineer to visualize that an off center mount (even if using a more robust isolator) is going to cause the RH side to raise in response to high torque situation which will exacerbate wear on the isolator and mounting bolt, and "tweak" the alignment of the half shafts, and the driveshaft.

We will probably never know what was happening at Ford or its suppliers, but I can say this- the fact that the 4 bolt subframes have reappeared on the recent builds is a "mea culpa"- or "my fault" from Ford. Having seen many different high performance IRS systems in the past, though I'm not a Ford expert, I don't remember any that connected into the rear diff cover, let alone used a single offset bolt to limit the differential rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks TMac. Appreciate your insight versus my WAG on it. I’m assuming that the wear on the isolator from rotation also impacts the two front isolators but to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Reactions
Sad day. Watched a valet throw the ST in reverse, gave it too much gas, rev'd, ST auto released the parking break, chirped, and they nearly slammed into a building. Traded it in the next day. Expedition SPP. Not my favorite, but feels much more secure than the rev'ed up parking break release.
I don’t understand. Can you not release the parking break by pushing down on the button? I can with mine.

Reactions
I don’t understand. Can you not release the parking break by pushing down on the button? I can with mine.
It seems that everyone cannot/will not release the parking brake in the traditional manner.

hbalek

Reactions
I don't understand why some don't know how to use an automatic e-brake. It's not that complicated and it does not rev, chirp or almost hit something unless you have leg muscle spasms and blame it on the feature. I think these are the same people who don't know how an automatic HVAC thermostat works and use the fan speed or temperature setting to regulate cabin temperature. Auto means auto, no need for manual input. I know several people like that and this annoys the hell out of me. I keep telling them it works just like the wall thermostat on your wall in your home. Maybe reading the owner's manual once may help these people or watch a how to video from Ford. Or just keep holding your phone to your mouth, don't connect the bluetooth, keep speeding up and slowing down without using cruise control. I'll keep avoiding those people on the highway! I may add they are the same idiots who drive around with the back of their car dark, because they think Daytime Running Lights are headlights and some day a semi will slam into the back of their car. Auto headlamps people!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions
I don't understand why some don't know how to use an automatic e-brake. It's not that complicated and it does not rev, chirp or almost hit something unless you have leg muscle spasms and blame it on the feature. I think these are the same people who don't know what an automatic HVAC thermostat works and use the fan speed to regulate temperature. I know several people like that.
Ha! I do too. Drives me nuts.

Reactions
I don't understand why some don't know how to use an automatic e-brake. It's not that complicated and it does not rev, chirp or almost hit something unless you have leg muscle spasms and blame it on the feature. I think these are the same people who don't know how an automatic HVAC thermostat works and use the fan speed or temperature setting to regulate cabin temperature. Auto means auto, no need for manual input. I know several people like that and this annoys the hell out of me. I keep telling them it works just like the wall thermostat on your wall in your home. Maybe reading the owner's manual once may help these people or watch a how to video from Ford. Or just keep holding your phone to your mouth, don't connect the bluetooth, keep speeding up and slowing down without using cruise control. I'll keep avoiding those people on the highway!
Auto does not always work in every circumstance. For some reason the auto climate control (in most vehicles) never puts enough air/heat on the windshield during cold weather and it will fog up if you do not use the defrost setting. I wonder why it is they give you that as an option if auto always works.

hbalek

Reactions
Auto does not always work in every circumstance. For some reason the auto climate control (in most vehicles) never puts enough air/heat on the windshield during cold weather and it will fog up if you do not use the defrost setting. I wonder why it is they give you that as an option if auto always works.
I've only used that defrost button once or twice a year in extreme weather, i.e. sudden temperature drop, heavy snow/ice. It's pretty rare. Most of the time my last 3 Ford vehicles with auto HVAC automatically turns on the AC compressor when humidity is high enough to cause windows to fog up. The rare occasions I've used the defrost button, within seconds all windows are clear and I resume using Auto peacefully and quietly. The system blasts the fan on high and forces all the air to the windshield. It's pretty noisey but it works well. You all should try this sometime. Trust that the engineers sometimes know what they're doing when they come up with these features including AUTO BRAKE, AUTO HEADLAMPS, AUTO PARALLEL PARK, RAIN SENSING AUTO WIPERS, etc.

Reactions
I've only used that defrost button once or twice a year in extreme weather, i.e. sudden temperature drop, heavy snow/ice. It's pretty rare. Most of the time my last 3 Ford vehicles with auto HVAC automatically turns on the AC compressor when humidity is high enough to cause windows to fog up. The rare occasions I've used the defrost button, within seconds all windows are clear and I resume using Auto peacefully and quietly. The system blasts the fan on high and forces all the air to the windshield. It's pretty noisey but it works well. You all should try this sometime. Trust that the engineers sometimes know what they're doing when they come up with these features including AUTO BRAKE, AUTO HEADLAMPS, AUTO PARALLEL PARK, RAIN SENSING AUTO WIPERS, etc.
I am an engineer. Never trust anything blindly.

hbalek

Reactions
I am an engineer. Never trust anything blindly.
I am trusting through normal use and practice not blind faith! Also note I said sometimes the engineers know what they're doing. My laundry list of defects, failures and warranty repairs on my 2020 prove that the engineers do not always know what they're doing, especially when they trust the bean counters and go cheap on parts quality, design, testing and durability. The parts that failed on my vehicle in the first 3 years should have lasted at least 5-7 years if not longer and Ford should be ashamed.

Reactions
I am trusting through normal use and practice not blind faith!
Exactly. You do not need to know how it works, just that it works through confirmation. Where I live, auto climate control does not cut it. We have five months of winter and our lows hit -40 a few times a year.

hbalek

Reactions
Exactly. You do not need to know how it works, just that it works through confirmation. Where I live, auto climate control does not cut it. We have five months of winter and our lows hit -40 a few times a year.
Agreed that extreme conditions are different than average, normal use. My 2003 Infinti had auto temperature control and quickly became a fan of that and other convenient features that all vehicles seem to have these days. Back to the parking brake discussion. I won't ever miss the days of foot and hand crank mechanical parking brakes that would not disengage automatically. Over the past 8 years I've never had problems with the gentle ease of auto-release parking brakes. Again, where I live these things don't freeze and cause problems.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
What do you guys think is the probability of a dealership performing the recall and fixing it with a 4 bolt frame on a used 21 ST? I want to get an Explorer ST, and tune it, and I plan on looking at one Saturday, but that rear single bolt has me very concerned about doing anything other than driving it like a grandma. Would flooring it from a stop snap the bolt, or is it just from launching the car?

Would a rear diff brace like this one actually make a difference?

ID Speed - 2020+ Explorer Rear Differential Brace (idspeedshop.com)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What do you guys think is the probability of a dealership performing the recall and fixing it with a 4 bolt frame on a used 21 ST? I want to get an Explorer ST, and tune it, and I plan on looking at one Saturday, but that rear single bolt has me very concerned about doing anything other than driving it like a grandma. Would flooring it from a stop snap the bolt, or is it just from launching the car?

Would a rear diff brace like this one actually make a difference?

ID Speed - 2020+ Explorer Rear Differential Brace (idspeedshop.com)
The recall (other than for Police Interceptors) is a software update ONLY. They will repair a broken bolt under the recall, ONE TIME ONLY.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
The recall (other than for Police Interceptors) is a software update ONLY. They will repair a broken bolt under the recall, ONE TIME ONLY.
Yeah, I figured that's the case. I just got off the phone with the service department manager. Unless that bolt is broken or has a stress fracture, they won't do the recall like you said. However, who the **** knows if the parts and 4 bolt subframe is actually on back order. Which I am sure it is, so I'm sure I'd have to wait 6 months to a year or more before getting the subframe, all while not having my car.

What the **** is wrong with Ford lol

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you're not "launching", you're probably fairly safe. But honestly if I didn't have a '20 with the 4 bolt, I'd definitely buy a brace (the one you listed or the AWR part) just for peace of mind.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
If you're not "launching", you're probably fairly safe. But honestly if I didn't have a '20 with the 4 bolt, I'd definitely buy a brace (the one you listed or the AWR part) just for peace of mind.
I thought I remember seeing that none of the rear diff braces actually make a difference. But I've also been trying to avoid the 2020 models like the plague due to all the issues they've had. How is your '20 holding up?

I guess C and D builds are somewhat better than A or B builds.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yeah, I figured that's the case. I just got off the phone with the service department manager. Unless that bolt is broken or has a stress fracture, they won't do the recall like you said. However, who the **** knows if the parts and 4 bolt subframe is actually on back order. Which I am sure it is, so I'm sure I'd have to wait 6 months to a year or more before getting the subframe, all while not having my car.

What the **** is wrong with Ford lol
Heck, I offered to pay out of pocket for a replacement four bolt subframe to be installed on mine and the dealer came up with reasons why they “couldn’t do it”. At least they offered that they would “look into doing it under warranty“ if I would happen to break the bolt along with all the other things that break when that happens.

I feel a whole lot better about it now. /s